Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Who on here would be unhappy?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Who on here would be unhappy if Worthington was sacked and Martin Hunter installed as Caretaker boss and why?[/quote]

Me.

Hunter has no experience at this level and it would be another short term move that would turn into a long time one.

A dream team of Bowen and Crook might be just the ticket. Bowen has loads of experience as assistant manager and might be ready to take the helm and Crook would be an able right hand man.

I wouldn''t be unhappy to see Hunter as caretaker, but wouldn''t want him to take over permanently.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

I realise it isnt going to happen as we have a pathetic inept board but:

Who on here would be unhappy if Worthington was sacked and Martin Hunter installed as Caretaker boss and why?

[/quote]

Not sure! Would need more information.

Like, just for starters, what qualities does Hunter have that Nigel Worthington doesn''t?

Nope, in my opinion getting Hunter in as manager would be a mistake and a huge risk.

Bowen would one to consider definitely.

For the purposes of discussion, does anyone have any other names to suggest? (realistic ones of course...) 

To be honest, would it really make a difference?  I''m not sure - if Worthy were to go any new man be it Hunter or another would still have a squad that does not have enough depth or quality.  As we are now witnessing, two injuries to Hux and Drury has caused havoc and the good start we had has not been built upon. 

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

To be honest, would it really make a difference?  I''m not sure - if Worthy were to go any new man be it Hunter or another would still have a squad that does not have enough depth or quality.  As we are now witnessing, two injuries to Hux and Drury has caused havoc and the good start we had has not been built upon. 

[/quote]

Pardon...  So because Worthy has destroyed our squad we shouldnt sack him!!  are you having a laugh Saint...

[/quote]

I disagree in other ways too, many players may play better under a new manager, look at Villa or Forest as examples - the likes of Shacks and McVeigh may play well under a manager they get on with.  It is Worthys fault we have a far too small squad - he spent 3 million on one player.

Just like to point out that Mark Bowen is no more qualified to be a manager than Hunter is.

[/quote]

Jim Magilton, Gareth Southgate, Roy Keane - so they have no experience, so what they are doing a better job than our inept manager - Worthy''s time is up, he knows thuis division inside out apparantly - bull****..

Mark Bowen has been an assistant for a long time at various clubs, you have to start somewhere - Worthy failed in his first management role, failed here when an assistant alongside Hamilton and is failing now.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Saint Canary"]

[/quote]

Pardon...  So because Worthy has destroyed our squad we shouldnt sack him!!  are you having a laugh Saint...

[/quote]

Pardon....?  Did I say he should stay?  I was merely pointing out that if he was to go whoever comes next be it Hunter or someone else is going to struggle.  Unless they can get something more out of players like Jarvis - using the novel idea of playing him a bit. 

The point is Paul that despite all the "backing" Worthington has received from the board, they didn''t do it when it mattered - buying Steve Howard.  Will they back another man with money?  I don''t know.

[/quote]

I disagree in other ways too, many players may play better under a new manager, look at Villa or Forest as examples - the likes of Shacks and McVeigh may play well under a manager they get on with.  It is Worthys fault we have a far too small squad - he spent 3 million on one player.

[/quote]

The board allowed him to spend £3m on Earnshaw and they probably allowed him to do so happily.  Earnshaw is a safety net for the board, someone they can sell next season if we don''t go up and make a quick couple of million. 

Just like to point out that Mark Bowen is no more qualified to be a manager than Hunter is.

[/quote]

Jim Magilton, Gareth Southgate, Roy Keane - so they have no experience, so what they are doing a better job than our inept manager - Worthy''s time is up, he knows thuis division inside out apparantly - bull****..

Mark Bowen has been an assistant for a long time at various clubs, you have to start somewhere - Worthy failed in his first management role, failed here when an assistant alongside Hamilton and is failing now.

[/quote]

Do you actually read posts in a thread before you reply and start typing?  You seem to be arguing with someone but it certainly isn''t me and it appears to be yourself.  I merely pointed out to some who said no to Hunter but yes to Bowen that they both had the same managerial experience.  Why Bowen but not Hunter?  You reply by naming 3 managers who don''t have any experience saying experience doesn''t always matter and you have to start somewhere - what is your point????

You make a good point, SC (don''t worry, I read your arguments properly), but I think we can''t take the risk any longer of having Worthy in charge.  It seems our form at the start of the season was just as much of a fluke as it was at Christmas last season.

I believe a new manager would be able to get more from the likes of McVeigh and Jarvis - look at what happened to Leeds this weekend.  They sack their manager, and immediately it makes a difference.  Sometimes it doesn''t matter who is in charge for the first few games, as long as it''s someone different for the players to get behind. 

Hunter may be a short term solution as caretaker, and see how it goes, but lacks experience.  Bowen isn''t a much better option, despite what some of the rose-tinted nostalgia brigade think (hey, what about Iwan? And sure we can tempt Malky from playing at Watford to come and make things right? Hell, I''m sure there are some pre-War players we can dig up, they''d have bags of experience).

The answer to our prayers does not lie in someone with very little experience, unless we get very lucky.  The likes of Curbs could be nowt more than a pipe dream, but then we''re the ones who harp on about our lack of ambition all the time, so why not?

Oh, and Magilton and Southgate as examples of managers without experience? Paul, have you actually seen their club''s records since they took over?  Makes for scary reading... Too early to tell for Keane but it''d be a surprise if he was a huge success immediately.

not so sure, if things are that bad a new manager may be merely papering over the cracks anyway?

I don''t want Hunter managing the team. Haven''t we had enough of cheap options. We need a new broom from outside the club shaking up the comfort zone and kicking out the rubbish, bringing in new blood. Not more of the same crap.

[/quote]

To back up my previous post, I guess I''m thinking that bringing Bowen in would be a fresh face in charge, rather than ''promoting'' Hunter. Also, I thought Bowen was Assistant Manager at Brum, rather than just coach. But I might be wrong. True though, there''s not much between them.

In all honesty Saint, I wish I had a definite idea of what I think the club should do, but it''s all a fog... I''d make a cr*p director... (please don''t take this as bait... [:)])

Do we know the money wasn''t available Saint?  Thats as unobjective as many of the other allegations. 

The only info (rumour/speculation) I had was that there has been a healthy seven figure budget all summer and there is still approx £3m available for use.  Nigel has not been slow in using the press to pressurise the board to fund players in the past but as that did not hapen this summer I can only assume he was comfortable with his budget.

I agree that we wont and never will know how hampered or otherwise nigel has been in his transfer dealings,  however the reason we are mid table is because more needs to be got out of players on a consistent basis. 

[quote user="Marty"]not so sure, if things are that bad a new manager may be merely papering over the cracks anyway?[/quote]

If things are that bad then he should be sacked surely for doing an appalling job? And everybody thought Villa were heading to nowhere but a new manager has turned them around entirely having brought in maybe one player!

As for Mark Bowen he has been assistant manager at Birmingham not involved in the relegation, Wales and blackburn.  Suffice to say even those with no managerial experience may be better than a man whom has still lost more games than he has won in management like Worthington.

Magilton with  no money or experience at Ipswich has his team above worthys 6 year tenure at NCFC says it all really.

Worthiongton just aint that good a manager i''m afraid...

Zipper, I think it''s clear some money was available.  The point I was trying to make was that whether it was available or not they didn''t allow him to use it as he wanted.  Worthington clearly wanted Steve Howard.  Munby said we could have afforded him but didn''t feel he was worth the money.  Why didn''t they back his choice and get him?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I agree that we wont and never will know how hampered or otherwise nigel has been in his transfer dealings,  however the reason we are mid table is because more needs to be got out of players on a consistent basis. 

[/quote]

Sorry forgot to add that this is spot on.  We do have some good players but for some reason it isn''t working.  I have been unfortunate to go to all the away games this season so far.  Leeds and Derby showed promise despite not winning but since then I have seen displays at Coventry and Plymouth that are just reminiscent of last seasons woeful no-shows.  We are coming up to the 10 game barrier and it seems to me that we have set our mark for another season of being mid-table.  We will win the majority of our home games with the exception of the better sides and will struggle away from home. 

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m WO, but to be fair, Worthy has succeeeded here - in the past. He''s failing now, but let''s not write off the play-off and promotion seasons as failures because they weren''t.

The point is Paul that despite all the "backing" Worthington has received from the board, they didn''t do it when it mattered - buying Steve Howard.  Will they back another man with money?  I don''t know.

[/quote]

I disagree. Suppose Worthy said "I would like Howard. I think he is worth 250k, Mr Doncaster, please see what you can do." When the bidding goes past that, and Derby eventually agree 1m, we rightly are not interested. While the failure to sign someone is a big mistake and will cost us, I wouldn''t advocate spending such big chunks of money on a player like that, so on that score I do back the club.

Don''t be so quick to blame the board. There is a decent transfer kitty available. But if Worthy failes to identify players he wants, or have a backup plan when things go Cotterill-shaped, it''s not the Board''s fault. They go and get the players he identifies, at a price he thinks they''re worth, in footballing terms.

[quote user="Amarillo"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Saint Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m WO, but to be fair, Worthy has succeeeded here - in the past. He''s failing now, but let''s not write off the play-off and promotion seasons as failures because they weren''t.

[/quote]

Totally agree and I was not saying he hadn''t, just that he has failed here and as an assistant and at another club.  he has had 2.5 good season''s here during the what 8ish years he has been at the club in some capacity, they seem such a long time ago now however.

not so sure, if things are that bad a new manager may be merely papering over the cracks anyway?[/?

What do you know about covering cracks?

[/quote]Good post Saint.

[quote user="Amarillo"][quote user="Saint Canary"]

[/quote]

I disagree. Suppose Worthy said "I would like Howard. I think he is worth 250k, Mr Doncaster, please see what you can do." When the bidding goes past that, and Derby eventually agree 1m, we rightly are not interested. While the failure to sign someone is a big mistake and will cost us, I wouldn''t advocate spending such big chunks of money on a player like that, so on that score I do back the club.

Don''t be so quick to blame the board. There is a decent transfer kitty available. But if Worthy failes to identify players he wants, or have a backup plan when things go Cotterill-shaped, it''s not the Board''s fault. They go and get the players he identifies, at a price he thinks they''re worth, in footballing terms.

[/quote]

Good to see you posting again Ama.

I think Worthington seemed acutely dissapointed when Howard signed for Derby, whether that means he would have paid £1m for him had it been up to him, I don''t know.  Personally I don''t think he was worth it but what price do you put on promotion?