Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

Manager Departures - The Facts

I''ve said it before & I''ll say it again

It''s the WAY Norwich ae playing that matters, results will reflect this over the course of the season.

The first few games were encouraging, but once again it looks like the confidence was only skin-deep.

I have no truck with all the crap posted about Worthington being only in it for the money, Delia & the board being closet binners etc. etc., but if he can''t inspire the team to perform ( perform, mind, not win every game) then he is not doing his job & he must go.

Just to show there are also exceptions to the rule and stats and lies etc its interesting to note that the managers in 9 of the last 10 champions league winners were not at the club any more than 3 seasons...

[quote user="KidCanary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]
Actually when we were 2nd I was saying we were 3 points off the top and 3 points off 14th (or whatever position it was).  Barnsley was against 10 men, Luton lost 3 players to injury in the match before our turnaround...

If we lose any more players to injury relegation will beconme a definate concern. 4 points off the bottom after 9 games...  it is worrying

[/quote]

CJF i can play this game all day long :)

Coventry - Huckerby out, Etuhu ill
Southend - Huckerby out,  Robinson out

I agree, if we lose any more players relegation could become a problem but with a new manager a). all you can get is loans in at the moment b). we lose any transfer money we would of had for the jan window by replacing the manager, backroom staff and players.
[/quote]

whose bloody fault is it that we have such a small squad!!  SO what Huckerby was out, Palace had 3 players injured when they visited Carrow Road.  When Preston beat us at Deepdale last year they had 8 players injured!!  We have 2 players injured and are getting thrashed!!

[quote]whose bloody fault is it that we have such a small squad!!  [/quote]

Good question.  If I may adopt your punchy style for a second, Foghorn...

1 player signed all summer, Roger Munby telling us that we could have bought Steve Howard but didn''t want to, Worthington and Drury complainig to the press about a lack of money for signings, who controls the purse strings ?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="KidCanary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Actually when we were 2nd I was saying we were 3 points off the top and 3 points off 14th (or whatever position it was).  Barnsley was against 10 men, Luton lost 3 players to injury in the match before our turnaround...

If we lose any more players to injury relegation will beconme a definate concern. 4 points off the bottom after 9 games...  it is worrying

[/quote]CJF i can play this game all day long :)Coventry - Huckerby out, Etuhu illSouthend - Huckerby out,  Robinson outI agree, if we lose any more players relegation could become a problem but with a new manager a). all you can get is loans in at the moment b). we lose any transfer money we would of had for the jan window by replacing the manager, backroom staff and players.[/quote]

whose bloody fault is it that we have such a small squad!!  SO what Huckerby was out, Palace had 3 players injured when they visited Carrow Road.  When Preston beat us at Deepdale last year they had 8 players injured!!  We have 2 players injured and are getting thrashed!!

[/quote]Your completely missing my point, im not making comparisons, im merely showing how at this stage of the season you can put a negative or positive spin on what has happened and thus I feel now is not an appropriate time to make any decisions.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Just to show there are also exceptions to the rule and stats and lies etc its interesting to note that the managers in 9 of the last 10 champions league winners were not at the club any more than 3 seasons...

[/quote]Also you could be lucky and do a palace, when they went up through the play offs.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="KidCanary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Actually when we were 2nd I was saying we were 3 points off the top and 3 points off 14th (or whatever position it was).  Barnsley was against 10 men, Luton lost 3 players to injury in the match before our turnaround...

[/quote]CJF i can play this game all day long :)Coventry - Huckerby out, Etuhu illSouthend - Huckerby out,  Robinson outI agree, if we lose any more players relegation could become a problem but with a new manager a). all you can get is loans in at the moment b). we lose any transfer money we would of had for the jan window by replacing the manager, backroom staff and players.[/quote]

[/quote]I might also state here that on the points you are trying to argue, you indicate in your first post that the teams we beat had injuries and then in your reply you indicate that it doesnt matter if there is injuries (i.e. preston winning etc)... your nothing if consistant :)

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]whose bloody fault is it that we have such a small squad!!  [/quote]

Good question.  If I may adopt your punchy style for a second, Foghorn...

1 player signed all summer, Roger Munby telling us that we could have bought Steve Howard but didn''t want to, Worthington and Drury complainig to the press about a lack of money for signings, who controls the purse strings ?

[/quote]

To be honest Blah Blah Blah, my confidence in the board has taken a severe knocking this season. far more so than last season.  When we went up I described the Premiership as an opportunity for this club to build.  We have failed - as many clubs do, and this failure is not just Worthington''s fault.

The squad size is a joke this year, pre-season this was identified as a problem immediatly by all and sundry - nothing was done.  No replacement for Simon Charlton and suddenly we have another teams youth product with apparantly only a single reserve game before arriving here behind him, in tears in the dressing room tunnel.

Where does the club go from here?  Worthy''s policy of a small but supposedly talented set of players has failed so far.

Maybe a new manager will give youth more of a chance.

[quote user="KidCanary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="KidCanary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]
Actually when we were 2nd I was saying we were 3 points off the top and 3 points off 14th (or whatever position it was).  Barnsley was against 10 men, Luton lost 3 players to injury in the match before our turnaround...

[/quote]

CJF i can play this game all day long :)

Coventry - Huckerby out, Etuhu ill
Southend - Huckerby out,  Robinson out

I agree, if we lose any more players relegation could become a problem but with a new manager a). all you can get is loans in at the moment b). we lose any transfer money we would of had for the jan window by replacing the manager, backroom staff and players.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I might also state here that on the points you are trying to argue, you indicate in your first post that the teams we beat had injuries and then in your reply you indicate that it doesnt matter if there is injuries (i.e. preston winning etc)... your nothing if consistant :)
[/quote]

Luton suffered 3 injuries during the game before we won - they have a SMALL SQUAD surprise surprise...

Preston suffered 8 injuries and still won they have a large enough squad (and had a talented manager)

Palace have a large enough squad to cope with injuries.

We suffer 2 injuries and our side looks poor.

3xblah.

How can you believe that time is all thats needed?

Worthy should have gone at the end of last season at the latest. I admire your continued defending of the man but to me you are as blinkered as he is when he can see good in th erecent games we have played.

Worthy has had time & money and enough is enough.

Nothing is forever. Change can be positive, unfortunatly too many people are scared of it.

Enjoy his last home game on Sunday

to the rumour that Boyle has only played one reserve game. Yes he''d only played one this season but had been a regular in Everton reserves for the last two seasons. Not good enough however specially with no help from the left winger

Percy,

I deliberately kept the original post devoid of opinion, put it up as a starting point for debate.  Management change is the biggest talking point at the moment, and the statisticians involved did a lot of work to try and understand whether it has an impact.  Their study was that change is " a punt ", that some punts are worthwhile, others aren''t.

The point I wanted the post to make was that we need to be patient with any new manager, sorry if that didn''t come across. 

If Worthy goes, so should the banners, and the daft website, and the "coo-eee mum I''m on telly" brigade.  Seeing 1st Wizard promoting himself through his signature sickens me, as he has made a name for himself on the basis of attacking hard working people and flipping his opinions.  It would be difficult to see what these people would have to talk about if Worthington wasn''t here, maybe they''d shunt the next manager out after a year ?  We''ll have to wait and see.

I have no problem with change, but fail to see where positive change can come from at the moment, although I hope to be proven wrong on this.  The problems we have are bigger than just the manager.

The point I wanted the post to make was that we need to be patient with any new manager, sorry if that didn''t come across. 

[/quote]

The point was there to be seen and it was unambiguous enough blah - I tried to re-emphasise it too but it seems to have been lost.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I have no problem with change, but fail to see where positive change can come from at the moment, although I hope to be proven wrong on this.  The problems we have are bigger than just the manager.[/quote]

You went fishing and I have taken the bait.  Come on then blah share the problems as you see them.  Players, board, manager and fans - and what can be done about each problem.

[quote user="Whats a right winger"]to the rumour that Boyle has only played one reserve game. Yes he''d only played one this season but had been a regular in Everton reserves for the last two seasons. Not good enough however specially with no help from the left winger[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying that buddy!  I didnt see the Plymouth game but by all accounts he was isolated muchlike Jurgen Colin suffered at times last season.

[quote]Come on then blah share the problems as you see them.  Players, board, manager and fans - and what can be done about each problem.[/quote]

Players - Complacency, brittle confidence (heads go down if we go a goal down), a habit of not showing up for away games (our away fans should be given free travel if we keep playing the way we do), and difficulties understanding zonal marking at corners if Plymouth is any basis.  As mystic megson has said, and I have to admit that he is right - caused by 1 player per place, only youth and loans to back them up = no competition for places.  Difficult to know what can be done about this, we don''t have the money for competition for every place and quality on the bench, and utility men are rarities (and get shouted down as donkeys or the boss is criticised for playing them "out of position" when we have them).  I''m guessing the squad is small now to allow us to keep the quality we have.  More investment needed possibly, but if so, from where ? 

Are the players willing to fight for the boss ?  If not, he''s had it, so this weekends'' team sheet will be interesting to see who he places his trust in.

Board - The board have done an excellent job in many ways, they understand that the club as a business needs more than just football income to survive long-term, but :

• They should either back or sack Worthington, and as quickly as possible.  This weekend was always going to be dodgy with a planned protest for the telly game and last weeks appalling performance, but now they''ve given momentum to the protestors with this daft statement, who could well run him out of town on live telly if we perform badly.  Whether that was their intention or not, it comes across as a bad way to treat an employee and supposed "close friend" to save some cash.  I''d expect a "mutual consent" announcement to be made if we lose on Sunday and at QPR.
  • They could change the way that transfer dealings are handled.  I can''t see many managers agreeing to nominate players and letting club officials handle negotiations, as most managers seem to have the entrepreneurial mentality of wheeling and dealing to get the best for their club, and would want more involvement.  I wonder if we miss a trick or two by having people who haven''t played doing the negotiating, and whether there is an "equality of power" between playing staff and non-playing when players are nominated as targets.  At the moment it looks like too many strings are pulled by bean counters.

Manager - Is responsible for the current failings of the squad, most alarmingly the lack of confidence when we go behind in games.  Has had his hands tied regarding squad improvements over the summer, been out-bid for most of his targets (1 mill for Howard - 4 goals in his last 4 games), and been reduced to bringing in Dion Dublin, who while a good player in his day and no doubt a very good coach eventually, won''t be playing many full games, and is at best an option off the bench.  We''re also one-dimensional when we play, our strengths and formation have been "telegraphed" to opposing teams who work us out too easily.  Funnily enough, a failing of Arsenal this season too, fair to say the similarity ends there at the moment...

Fans - In the main, no problem with the fans.  There are a few self-publicists who I have a large measure of distaste for, there are a few who set the bar too high for any championship team and seem to think that we''re owed a spot in the Premiership and last 16 of any cup competition.   I can''t disagree enough with the protests, they just make our club look incredibly stupid, and won''t have that any impact on any decisions made, much like this or any other message board post.  When the club listens to the fans I hope they seperate wheat from chaff and recognise the self-servers for what they are, or they might just come back to haunt them after 12 months of another manager.

It''s performances on the pitch that will decide who stays and goes, and in making their statement, Delia and Michael have made the job for their players getting a win a lot harder on Sunday.

Excellent post blah - thank you.  I cant argue with much of that at all - but I would probably categorise the issues into mainly board and manager groupings.

The players are a problem, but for me it all comes back to the club.   The criticism is fair for the number of no shows (not sure about dropping heads - I think last season we had as many points from turnarounds as any other team) but agree that this has been evident for so long now that the manager takes his share of the blame for failing to motivate his side.. Complacency is something I have long been concerned about - it was first truly evident with Damien Francis. 

The manager has not been able to develop a multi faceted game plan that can be flexed mid game, where we have come back it is usually through seeing the game plan through rather than tactical changes.   A key part of his job is provide clarity of role and motivation to deliver in the players - that has been missing too often; and if the players are, cant or wont respond then he is doomed, whether he is nigel worthington or Brian Clough. 

Another is to build a squad that he can use to mount a successful season.  His hands may have been tied financially (which I dont necessarily agree with, as I see no evidence either way) but from released wages alone he should have been able to fund a back up squad of experienced and youngsters from the lower leagues (in that scenario Dublin would have been a  very good addition). Build a bigenough squad of players you will use and the player complacency does go.   Our league position make a mockery of the ''there is no one better out there argument''.  Most crucially there does not appear to be any outward demonstration that he knows how to change the current cycle of good/bad/ok/bad/ok/bad. 

The board; the only issue for me is funding - I havent the foggiest what is going on here.   There are funds (Munby) - or are there?  For Howard was the asking price considered too much by the board,  or by the manager?  I simpy dont know.  It is feasible that the board restricted funds to ensure a cheaper seperation,  but surely thats folly  as you lose money through time alone.   As far as conducting transfers it has become the norm in most clubs for the chair or board to do these - so I dont have an issue per se; as long as the manager identifies the player and has a say in the parameters of what proportion of his playing budget can be spent on him - but does it work that way?      My concern has grown about the board since the statement yesterday;  it seems another poorly advised attempt at spin by for me creates the impression of indecisiveness; if they are like with transfer funds is it a surprise we miss out?

Are we a club in turmoil?  I think this makes things look worse that we really are;  our squad contains the core of a competetive quality championship side, in need of confidence building, clear tactics, with a variety of approach and pushed to excel.  Faith, so often used for the manager, needs to be shown by the manager to the non core squad when cover is needed or moved on and replacements sought. 

With a little vision and passion from a new source things are capable of beeing turned around by the right man;  the boards real challege is identifying that right man first time. 

The funding thing is a smokescreen because we had no problem bidding 2 million for an 18 year old.(Cotterill)

Did Doncaster travel to Cardiff just for fun?

Blah keeps hinting that the board has stoppd Worthy from bringing players in.

There is absolutely NO EVIDENCE of this.

Infact Munby said publically we were bringing in several players.

Why would he say that publically if privately they didnt want Worthy buying anybody.

Well, I often have a go at you BBB but I would just say thanks for the explanatory post of your position (no sarcasm)

I disagree about the value of the protests but other than that your expanded views on the situation at the Club are not a million miles away from a lot of people who would like to see the manager gone (myself included), except to say I think fans would give a new manager plenty of time to settle in provided they could see some kind of forward-thinking.

As an aside, I have advocated the Board looking for other investors/directors. That doesn''t mean Delia would have to lose her position as "figurehead" but might mean a chance to boost the squad and lose the "little Norwich" mentality.

I would suggest that Milan Mandaric might not be such a daft suggestion as someone the Board should be wining/dining. He''s looking to invest in another Club and look how far he took Pompey.

Whether Delia would welcome the loss of control is another matter but if it were for the good of the Club she and the other directors should consider it rather than complaining about being "poor millionaires" in comparison to other Club owners.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

The funding thing is a smokescreen because we had no problem bidding 2 million for an 18 year old.(Cotterill)

Why would he say that publically if privately they didnt want Worthy buying anybody.[/quote]

Munby did indeed say that, USA.  So, where are they ?

This is the basis for my opinion regarding the lack of signings being down to the bean-counters having more power to determine what is spent on who than the manager...

Steve Howard - too expensive at approx £1 million for a 30 year old - maybe.  4 goals in his last 4 games...

http://new.pinkun.com/search/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&itemid=NOED25%20Jul%202006%2013:15:05:753&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=search

[quote]after disappointment for the manager and fans in seeing another top transfer target slip through the net, club chairman Roger Munby revealed that City could have forked out a seven-figure sum to entice Howard to Carrow Road.

However, after admitting it was “reasonably frustrating” to see Howard make the switch to Pride Park, Munby declared that he did not think the big target man was worth his big price tag.

“It is reasonably frustrating because we''d looked at him quite carefully, although he''s not the only one,” City''s chairman said. “The only saving grace is that he''s gone for an amount of money well beyond his worth, in our view.

“As with every target, there are limits to what we can spend, but we could have afforded him.”[/quote]

Munby said "He''s not the only one.".  Can we assume from that, that there were many targets we didn''t bother with because we weren''t willing to offer the money required to sign them when we could have ?

Worthington frustrated by lack of summer signings

http://new.pinkun.com/search/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&itemid=NOED11%20Jul%202006%2012:25:38:983&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=search

[quote]
City boss Nigel Worthington today admitted to his simmering frustration at failing to add any new faces to his senior squad over the summer.

Exactly how much is in the City transfer kitty has not been disclosed but Doncaster said last week that “making any money available out of our cash flow for players is difficult.”[/quote]

Adam Drury expresses concern at lack of transfer market activity

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=407604&CPID=10&CLID=&lid=&title=City+skipper+upset+with+spending&channel=

[quote]
captain Adam Drury admits he is disappointed the club have not been more active in the transfer market.

The Canaries skipper, who has been attracting interest from Derby County, is upset that manager Nigel Worthington has only been able to add Manchester City''s Lee Croft to a squad that finished in ninth place last term.

"As a player, you like to see players coming in to the club as much as you can," he told Sky Sports News. "Obviously, ''Crofty'' has come in but I''d liked to have seen perhaps a few more faces.

"That''s down to the board and the club itself, how they''re looking at things and how the finances are.[/quote]

Also - Hucks baffled by lack of signings

http://new.pinkun.com/search/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&itemid=NOED24%20Jul%202006%2011:31:44:683&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=search

Now, forgive me for the rather blatant smoke and mirrors act here, but if your manager, captain, and a key player come out and say "where are the new players ?", Doesn''t it raise a few questions ?

As for Cotterill - Finally, a second player the bean-counters agreed was worth the money, to go with the impressive Croft.:

http://new.pinkun.com/search/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&itemid=NOED01%20Sep%202006%2008:22:50:920&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=search

[quote]City had had the third highest offer in their history, worth up to £2m, accepted by the League One club, but there was little they could do once the player had decided he wanted to move north rather than east[/quote]

Up to.  That involves sell on clauses and promotion clauses no doubt.  Not the in depth squad strengthening we would have been looking for in the summer, and that most "Outers" would have been screaming for then, but which seems to have been conveniently forgotten now.

[quote user="Ralph Wrong"]

[quote user="Getting off the fence"]It is disappointing that you try to bring well-researched and thorough evidence onto the board. This can only serve to confuse the issue. There is no place for this sort of thing in here. How are we expected to recognise the truth if you keep confusing us with facts![/quote]

Facts is it that you want GOTF? Well here''s a few.

We''ve won  5 league away games under Worthy in the last 2 seasons and 2 months. Fact!

We have hardly ever won a game in January during the entire tenure of Worthys management. Fact!

We are level on points with a team who were 40 places below us two years ago. Fact!

Although every man woman and child supporting Norwich knew our squad was wafer thin at the end of last year we have let several players leave and only permanently signed one. Fact!

We are struggling to get players to join us on loan let alone permanently. Fact!

Worthy is destroying this club on the pitch and off the pitch too as the fans argue and bicker amongst themselves. Fact!

You cannot defend the indefensible. Fact!

And as for BBB''s facts, I and I''m sure many others are quite happy to take the chance and get rid of Worthy. Fact!

[/quote]

What a stunning original post! None of these facts have ever been raised before. However did you dig them all up?

The point is that, sacking the manager is not the universal panacea that football supporters imagine it to be. Blah raises some important points. Typically, many chose to ignore this or simply don''t understand.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="USAcanary"]

Why would he say that publically if privately they didnt want Worthy buying anybody.[/quote]

Munby did indeed say that, USA.  So, where are they ?

This is the basis for my opinion regarding the lack of signings being down to the bean-counters having more power to determine what is spent on who than the manager...

Steve Howard - too expensive at approx £1 million for a 30 year old - maybe.  4 goals in his last 4 games...

http://new.pinkun.com/search/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&itemid=NOED25%20Jul%202006%2013:15:05:753&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=search

[quote]after disappointment for the manager and fans in seeing another top transfer target slip through the net, club chairman Roger Munby revealed that City could have forked out a seven-figure sum to entice Howard to Carrow Road.

However, after admitting it was “reasonably frustrating” to see Howard make the switch to Pride Park, Munby declared that he did not think the big target man was worth his big price tag.

“It is reasonably frustrating because we''d looked at him quite carefully, although he''s not the only one,” City''s chairman said. “The only saving grace is that he''s gone for an amount of money well beyond his worth, in our view.

“As with every target, there are limits to what we can spend, but we could have afforded him.”[/quote]

Munby said "He''s not the only one.".  Can we assume from that, that there were many targets we didn''t bother with because we weren''t willing to offer the money required to sign them when we could have ?

Worthington frustrated by lack of summer signings

http://new.pinkun.com/search/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&itemid=NOED11%20Jul%202006%2012:25:38:983&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=search

[quote]
City boss Nigel Worthington today admitted to his simmering frustration at failing to add any new faces to his senior squad over the summer.

Exactly how much is in the City transfer kitty has not been disclosed but Doncaster said last week that “making any money available out of our cash flow for players is difficult.”[/quote]

Adam Drury expresses concern at lack of transfer market activity

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=407604&CPID=10&CLID=&lid=&title=City+skipper+upset+with+spending&channel=

[quote]
captain Adam Drury admits he is disappointed the club have not been more active in the transfer market.

The Canaries skipper, who has been attracting interest from Derby County, is upset that manager Nigel Worthington has only been able to add Manchester City''s Lee Croft to a squad that finished in ninth place last term.

"As a player, you like to see players coming in to the club as much as you can," he told Sky Sports News. "Obviously, ''Crofty'' has come in but I''d liked to have seen perhaps a few more faces.

"That''s down to the board and the club itself, how they''re looking at things and how the finances are.[/quote]

Also - Hucks baffled by lack of signings

http://new.pinkun.com/search/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&itemid=NOED24%20Jul%202006%2011:31:44:683&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=search

Now, forgive me for the rather blatant smoke and mirrors act here, but if your manager, captain, and a key player come out and say "where are the new players ?", Doesn''t it raise a few questions ?

As for Cotterill - Finally, a second player the bean-counters agreed was worth the money, to go with the impressive Croft.:

http://new.pinkun.com/search/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&itemid=NOED01%20Sep%202006%2008:22:50:920&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=search

[quote]City had had the third highest offer in their history, worth up to £2m, accepted by the League One club, but there was little they could do once the player had decided he wanted to move north rather than east[/quote]

Up to.  That involves sell on clauses and promotion clauses no doubt.  Not the in depth squad strengthening we would have been looking for in the summer, and that most "Outers" would have been screaming for then, but which seems to have been conveniently forgotten now.

[/quote]

Again I ask if they were stopping him from spending why did they agree to the 2 million transfer fee for Coterill?

Why did they agree 700K for Croft, Even Dublin has wages.

Your agument is full of more holes than swiss cheese.

How do you know if Worthy himself deemed Howard too expensive not the board?

The fact is Worthy had very few targets and had no "PLAN C" when they fell through.

We have known since last season that players like Charlton and Brennen were leaving but Worthy didnt even bother doing business till it was too late.

His loan efforts have also been poor. My source say he is not well liked by some prem managers for his loan dealings.

Thats why we get turned down a lot yet other teams have gotten players on loan. 

Carry on defending your hero while he is bringing our club down.

such a survey is pointless as they can''t possibly know what the alternative outcome would have been had the manager stayed.

it also depends on the choice of replacement and whether the board will eventually invest in the squad.

ok if we replace Worthy we could still be a middling championship side this time next year but what if he stayed ? League One (I don''t think so but then again there''s been bigger clubs than ours relegated to the 3rd tier in recent years).

its a gamble either way but getting rid of Nigel is one worth taking now. 

[quote]Again I ask if they were stopping him from spending why did they agree to the 2 million transfer fee for Coterill?[/quote]

USA, again, either I am not putting my point across well enough, or you are either failing, or choosing not to understand.

I did not say that the board were stopping him from spending.

I did say that the board were making it difficult for him to purchase players that they saw as not worth the transfer fee.

The board must have considered Cotterill to be value for money at 2 million, as indeed Earnshaw (to answer Chicken-Heads point) was at 2.75 million.

My point is that the board / non-playing staff seem to have the veto over who signs for Norwich, and looking to the future, most managers wouldn''t come to Norwich on those terms, should we ever need one.

I hope that clarifies my position.

I agree.

If Worthy goes, so should the banners, and the daft website, and the "coo-eee mum I''m on telly" brigade.  Seeing 1st Wizard promoting himself through his signature sickens me, as he has made a name for himself on the basis of attacking hard working people and flipping his opinions.  It would be difficult to see what these people would have to talk about if Worthington wasn''t here, maybe they''d shunt the next manager out after a year ?  We''ll have to wait and see.

It has been distressing to read the slating that Croft etc had on this board before they kicked a ball for us.

I have no problem with change, but fail to see where positive change can come from at the moment, although I hope to be proven wrong on this.  The problems we have are bigger than just the manager.

Its also very difficult to see that doing nothing is an option.

[/quote]

The board must have considered Cotterill to be value for money at 2 million, as indeed Earnshaw (to answer Chicken-Heads point) was at 2.75 million.

[/quote]

Very true he is worth 3 million.  Doesn''t answer the question however, with the squad so small why spend 3 million on a single player?

The answer - It was the managers choice.  His policy.  However 14th place says that Worthy''s policy of a small squad of supposedly talented players is currently failing.  With a 46 game season ahead it is going to be a long season, no matter who is in charge..

I get the impressionm a fair few of these supposed ''quality players'' are on a hefty wage for this division - this would impact our transfer budget and explain why we have not seen a large proportion of teh parachute payments.

[quote]The answer - It was the managers choice.[/quote]

Earnshaw was the managers'' choice, he would have nominated him initially.  But then, he also nominated Steve Howard.

In my opinion, Worthington would have been happy to pay 1 million for Howard, and probably 3 or 4 others to boost squad numbers.  Been counters weren''t happy to pay the prices required though, hence the frustration and worry expressed by Worthington, Drury and Huckerby over the summer at the lack of signings to boost squad numbers.

Sadly I believe we are dealing with a powerful woman here in Delia who will do her damnedest to avoid being proved wrong. How many of us have seen similar tantrums from her indoors over the colour of the emulsion in the bathroom? If it aint what she wants.........it will never ever do! She is too used to getting what she wants in life.

Worthington is an afront to himself.  Who else knowing they are so reviled and unwanted by the people who matter (us) .........would cling on so shamefully to his position? It''s degrading and sad.......and no matter what the board does at this point....we ain''t ever going to like him or respect him.

Worthy......you are the bleakest link........clear off!

[quote]Again I ask if they were stopping him from spending why did they agree to the 2 million transfer fee for Coterill?[/quote]

USA, again, either I am not putting my point across well enough, or you are either failing, or choosing not to understand.

I did not say that the board were stopping him from spending.

I did say that the board were making it difficult for him to purchase players that they saw as not worth the transfer fee.

My point is that the board / non-playing staff seem to have the veto over who signs for Norwich, and looking to the future, most managers wouldn''t come to Norwich on those terms, should we ever need one.

I hope that clarifies my position.

[/quote]

Again its pure specualtion on your part with no evidence to back up your argument yet plenty to show Worthy has been given funds if needed.

You are really clutching at straws.

So you blame the board, the players and the fans. Everyone except the manager.

You sound very disloyal to NCFC, go support the next team that Worthy is the manager of.