Sign in to follow this  
Gromitt

Notman- Potential midfield

A point I''ve always considered is although he has failed to make the grade as a striker would he be a suitable replacement/competition for the creative central midfield berth usually occupied by Mulryne.

Notman has good close control of the ball, a footballing brain always looking to play the ball forward or even carry the ball himself, not afraid to shoot from edge of box, reasonable passing?(can''t really remember it''s been a while since seeing him play and I''ve the memory of a goldsomething or other), not afraid to tackle or get in way of ball.

It would be interesting to see him played in that role to see if he could provide the link between the defence and front line and provide some defence cutting passes with balls to feet rather than alot of the sideways movement seen with Mulryne.

What do others think.

I think on Notman, his best role is as a replacement mcveigh, if you see what i mean. If you define the strikeforce as mcveigh and a n otha(taylor probably) then zema abbey would be a backup to taylor eventually and mcveigh''s backup will be notman.

I think at the minute the need for a mulyrne replacement is limited, because mulyrne is a replacement himself. The midfield looks a lot stronger with francis and holt both capable born winners, freeing mcveigh to create and rivers and easton to get down the flanks.

I still think Notman is vital to the squad mind, and hopefully his return will create even more competition for places.

I agree with that totally. From all I''ve seen of the boy, and it''s not much due to his injury hell, he seems a strong, energetic hard working midfielder that can workwell behind the fowards. My main memory, however painful it is, is him firing in the cross to Iwans head that gave us the lead in Cardiff.

I think it would provide healthy competition to either Rivers on the right, or Francis / Mulryne / Holt in the middle.

Just so long as he stays fit this time - good luck to the fella!

I think the thing is that notman can play a range of positions when required and yes he can put a good cross in when required.

W H A T ?????

This just confirms what I have always claimed, that this board is dominated by people who haven''t attended Carrow Road since a certain player was a glint in a Mr Sutch''s eye!!!

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, in fact reading some of the posts from fans living a long way from the hallowed turf brings a tear to the eye but I would just like them to admit when they last saw the Super Greens play in real time before coming forth with some most pecuilar views. It would also help in assessing why some talk a load of ........ nonsense!

Finally; for those who have raised the point on my mobile text, I am not '' Vale of Belvoir'' who has suddenly emerged on this board.

I thank you.

I always rated Notman. Much as some hate to admit it, any player coming through the ranks at Man Utd and being a fringe player in their first team, has to have a certain amount of quality. Mulryne has it too, even if it does go missing too often.

However, I can''t realistically see Notman having any role at City, or any other club at this level. Sadly, I think the injuries have mounted up that little bit too much, and as good as the footballing brain might be, if the body isn''t up to it, it isn''t going to happen.

I hope he proves me wrong, but either way, I know we all wish him well. And for one with only a relatively short City career, he supplied one of those everlasting magic moments at Cardiff.

mm - notman would have been good

always remembered for cardiff, and THAT cross (i still shiver thinkin bout it)

tragic waste of a great talent

sadly missed

and b4 ne1 asks the last game i attended, Bradford at home

all bar the dates most of these were posted i still cant let this go. the facts remain the alex notman was total rubbish and just because of one cross a few are blinkered! does no one else remeber him every single time he got the ball cutting in and shooting from any and all distances and angles only to 99% of the time worry the front tier of either the barclay or river ends???it boils down to the facts we wanted to sign david healy from man.u res but couldnt afford him so we thought we would have the poor mans version total waste of money!up there with sutch as someone i cringed at when there name appeared on the pre match team sheet