Sign in to follow this  
FatboySlimfast

Whats the best.........

.......Non footballing sporting event you have ever been to?

Are you just a football fan or a fan of all sports? Personally i enjoy pretty much everthing and much to my partners annoyance, if there is anything to do with sport on the telly then i will watch it (german footy excluded!!). The best non-footballing sporting event i have been to would have to be the Cheltenham Gold Cup. An unbelievable atmosphere and a day i will never forget for as long as i live.

fatboy, first of all, love the name, brilliant stuff

was just going to make some brekkie when i stumbled across your post (wow, i do like fridays off work, must try to make it a habit lol)

non footballing sporting event, in recent history, the commonwealth games, was there when paula radcliffe won, it was a great weekend in a great city, manchester is a great place for a weekend anyway, just think there will be 2 (or maybe not?) next year :-)

years ago was at a test match, this is ancient history folks, england v australia, in the 70s and every day was so hot the seats were melting, and this was yorkshire!!! (went with relatives! sadly leeds fans) and yes, england won!!! it was a long, long time ago, like i said

have never been to wimbeldon, but like you, have been to horse racing, ex husband was a bit of a racing nut so used to go to newmarket and the like all the time in the summer

have to confess i have even been to golf tournaments, oh please, i will never live it down, this is due to another ex (just how bored can you ever be!!!)

must start to choose my men more carefully lol

There have been a few! I guess this post is a small warm up for the summer months!?!

Firstly there was the Cricket World Cup Semi-Final in 1999. Australia Vs South Africa. The only game to be drawn in a World Cup. I thought Cricket was boring!
Then there was the Grand National in 2000 when Papillion won. The atmosphere there was incredible! Also went to the 2000 Gunieas at Newmarket in 2001.
Wimbledon is a good day out. Went there last year on the middle Saturday and saw some great players at very close quarters. Surprising just how Wimbledon is set out.
A Grand Prix is also a good atmosphere but very boring... you see each car for a split second then you have to wait two minutes before you see it again!

I''m going to cheat and add a footballing event too - infact two!
1. England Vs Germany, Euro 2000. Shearer scored and we won 1-0.
2. Diss Town Vs Taunton Town, FA Vase Final 1994. The best day of my life! How sad!

Anyone else recommend some good sporting events to go to this year???

Well as everyone know''s I also like the F1 even though and it isn''t his fault Michael Schumacher wins a lot. I''ve been to 4 consecutive British Grand Prix.
99- Very hot and the race where Mr Schumacher had a bad crash and broke his leg. Coulthard and Irvine were 1st and 2nd so a British 1-2.
2000- Hosting a grand prix in the UK in April (the 23rd which also coincided with Easter Sunday and those who notice St George''s Day) is the worst thing anyone in the sport could ever have done. Got stuck in traffic from 6am with around 6 or 7 miles to go and ended up in a muddy field at around quarter past 12 with only 45 minutes to the race found somewhere to stand because those lucky bu**ars fortunate to get in early had gotting the seating areas, watched the F1 race ( again a British winner in Mr Coulthard), then watched a race of historic cars then left at half 3. No chance to look at the merchandise shops or much else. For something were you should be there from around 6 till 7 in the morning till 4 or 5 in the afternoon to have a good day out that day represented a waste of money.
2001- Murray Walkers final commentating British GB and everyone of the organizers and British press were doing there best to make sure he had a memorable time and was sent from his final home race on a high. Great day as well. Racing though wasn''t really exciting with Hakkinen the winner after Schumacher wasn''t really bothered and just drove for 2nd place whilst Hakkinen really went unchallenged.
2002- At last for a British GP I was at, it RAINED. All 3 of the previous ones I just hoped it would rain during the race and so it did but it was more of a stop start but that was good enough for me. What with Ferrari winning 15 of the 17 races that year GB was also one of them with a 1-2 but the rain and some drivers struggling in tricky conditions when it happened and a Brilliant Drive from Barrichello from the back of the grid after problems on the formation lap was brilliant. Pity I missed last years one with non stop overtaking and the mad Irish chap running onto the track and nearly getting killed but these thing happen. The circuit may be old and facilites poor but can be a could day out to see if these Drivers have been described correctly as the best 20 or so in the world.

British Grand Prix, 2002. Fantastic atmosphere, if you have never been to a grand prix just go for the buzz. The speed of the cars is mind blowing, you just do not get an idea watching on tele. I love football but F1 is just amazing

Like Piggy I was at Wembley when Diss played. Fantastic, amazing atmosphere and incredible to be at an event like that where you keep seeing so many faces you know. Also to score the winner in the 9th minute of extra time, incredible.

Went to the Munich olympics, if you like sport in general, the Olympics are amazing. Such a friendly atmosphere. Nice stadium too, as we all know.

Last summer I was obviously missing the footy so a me and a few mates went to watch the Rugby League (London Broncos V''s Hull), it was not far to go as I live in south london and I was very impressed. It was fast moving easy to follow. Plus you can also drink beer on the terraces!!!!!!

Yeh, have to agree with the Rugby League one - I was lucky enough to see Wigan at St Helens on Boxing Day a good few years ago (when Wigan were almost unbeatable). The game was fantastic, very fast, and the atmosphere was electric (you wouldn''t believe the hatred between them - almost rivals the atmosphere between us and the binners!). And to make things better still, the result was a real turn-up - St Helens won 42-6!

I have a confession to make . . . I''m a St Helens fan, and have been since I was 12. (Which, believe me, is a long time ago).
Now I have to watch them on TV -and the best thing I''ve seen in the last few years was a late try from Chris Joynt to beat Bradford in the play-offs. It wasn''t just last minute, it was last-second - in fact time was up, so they had to keep the ball in play to stop the hooter going. Fantastic.

Do you remember the game I am talking about then Celia? It would have been early 90''s, either 91,92 or 93.......I was there with my ex-father-in-law (pompous git he was) who supported Wigan, so as we didn''t really get on, I enjoyed it all the more! have had a soft spot for Saints ever since!

Am partial to the dogs in Yarmouth and the nags at Newmarket.

Went to Rockingham last year (great racing circuit) to watch the Touring Cars. Was superb (and I''m not even a petrol head). So much better than watching the traffic of F1.

Celia''s also persuading me to watch more Rugby League and I''m starting to enjoy it - even if I don''t understand the rules!

Blacky and piggy who are u diss fans coz im from diss as well. U going up 2 carrow road tuesday night 4 the norfolk senior cup final?

otbc

I think that would be at a time before we got Sky, so we were well out of touch. We used to listen on the radio when we could - I remember one time Wigan beating us and hubby was so angry he took an axe to a shrub in the garden. (We had meant to get rid of it, but not quite so drastically). Now he just threatens the TV.
Perhaps there should be a thread on the angriest you''ve ever got at the telly . . .

I lived in Florida for 2 years and went to see the Florida Gators play American football, the sun was shinning, the stadium was full (90,000) and the game lasted about 4 hours. To be honest it was a great atmosphere but 60 mins of dull actions dragged out to last 4 hours is not my idea of fun! give me Norwich away to the likes of Grimsby or Rotherham any day! I saw the college league Baskeball, that was well worth watching. I saw baseball but that isn''t worth mentioning!

I used to watch the RAC rally years ago when it went on through the night, this was really exciting as a young lad, you could get very close to the cars after trapesing for miles though the forest, it was always wet and freezing too. I was lucky enough to see some of the Monte Carlos Rally this year, it was just a coincidence that I went to Monacco for that weekend. I''d love to watch the F1 GrandPrix there too.

I saw the Nottingham Panthers play a year or so ago, I could watch that more regularly, very fast and lots of action and fighting. But to be honest nothing beats the old footy.