Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

The Aftermath

Did my routine thinking about the match on the drive home last night trying to think of the positives and negatives.  To be honest I felt really deflated, the game was poor in quality in my view but it had the feel of a "must win" from both sides which made it enthralling as a contest.

For the first twenty minutes I would had taken a draw.  After Eastwood scored Southend started looking very confident and Eastwood very nearly scored again.  For a while I was sat anticipating another Coventry, we were offering little threat up front and Southend looked more up for it than we did.  For a while we appeared to be hanging on and some of the players almost appeared to be thinking "here we go again".  As much as people will not want to believe this - I felt Andy Hughes changed the match for City.  As always his attitude was spot on but there was more quality in his play last night and his cross for our first was excellent.  He was defending one minute and our furthest player forward the next and I have to say (despite my reservation) that his first half display was one the best all-round performances from a City midfielder for a long time.  We then got the two goals and went in at half time 2-1 despite not really playing well or deserving the lead.

We came out in the second and got a quick 3rd and quite honestly this is where it all went wrong.  I didn''t feel we were good enough to warrant the score line and it flattered us but having said that, it''s no excuse to throw a 2 goal lead away.  For a 5 minute period afterwards we started to look a bit cocky and McVeigh was the worst offender.  The players quite simply were overconfident and didn''t show Southend any respect and this is why (IMO) we didn''t win the game.  Southend then scored with a free kick that should not have been given but we still had the upper hand.  The players then went from over confident to inept in 60 seconds with only Safri keeping his head and being prepared to play the bal sideways and backwards to keep hold of it.  Every other player seemed desperate to get the ball down the other end ASAP and our attacks were just breaking down.  The last 20 minutes or so were all Southend and it was a question of whether we could hold on or not.  During this time it was clear why Worthy was desperate for a target man because Earnie hardly got near the ball and what we desperately needed was for someone to keep hold of it to relieve pressure.  Eventually, despite heroics from the Doc, Southend got the equaliser and you just knew it was going to happen after Earnie had just had a chance at the other end.  3-3 from 3-1 up and it was clear the team just didn''t know how to defend the lead.

In all the game (as on Saturday) highlighted the lack of options on the bench.  There was nothing Worthy could have to have a major impact with the exception of bringing on Flem for Earnie and putting the Doc up front.  Loans are needed to offer competition and options to change the game tactically because at present we just don''t have enough.

In summary I went from hoping to avoid another Covenry, to hoping for a draw and then hoping we could hang a to the lead.

Sorry long post already but my player ratings are:

Gallacher - 7.  Played well despite letting in 3 goals.
Colin - 7. Looked Ok and provided good attacking in the first half.
Drury - 6.  Was alright, made a couple of good blocks in the second half.
Shackell - 7.  Solid in the second half but probably at fault for their first.
Doc - 9.  You will not see a more gutsy performance in defence than this and got his body in front of everything for 40 minutes. MOM
Hughes - 7.  Excellent first half.  Only time will if he can play that well for consitently.
Ethuhu - 6.  Did Ok, tried to get in the box often and was involved in Earnie''s goal and got one himself.
Safri - 7.  Does what he always does, tackled and passed well at times.
Croft - 7.  Good cross to lead to a goal and missed him when he went off.
McVeigh - 6.  Showboating in the second half let him down after all the hard work he put in in ther first half.
Earnie - 7.  Had he not scored two goals it would have been a 5.  Shot a couple of time when passing was the better option.  Unfortunately he was the antithesis of what City needed in this game from a lone striker, especially defending a slender lead.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

I felt Andy Hughes changed the match for City.  As always his attitude was spot on but there was more quality in his play last night and his cross for our first was excellent.  He was defending one minute and our furthest player forward the next and I have to say (despite my reservation) that his first half display was one the best all-round performances from a City midfielder for a long time.

[/quote]

Thought Hughes played well although not quite as well as you describe Saint.  Involved heavily in two of the goals and may even have done enough to start ahead of Robinson next time.  Although he''s not my favourite player I found it sad that some fans (and it was a very small minority) suggested we were playing with ten men.  Can''t please everyone I guess.

[quote user="JayM"][quote user="Saint Canary"]

I felt Andy Hughes changed the match for City.  As always his attitude was spot on but there was more quality in his play last night and his cross for our first was excellent.  He was defending one minute and our furthest player forward the next and I have to say (despite my reservation) that his first half display was one the best all-round performances from a City midfielder for a long time.

[/quote]

Thought Hughes played well although not quite as well as you describe Saint.  Involved heavily in two of the goals and may even have done enough to start ahead of Robinson next time.  Although he''s not my favourite player I found it sad that some fans (and it was a very small minority) suggested we were playing with ten men.  Can''t please everyone I guess.

[/quote]

Its because, as with the manager, with some fans it''s become a personal issue!

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

For a 5 minute period afterwards we started to look a bit cocky and McVeigh was the worst offender.  The players quite simply were overconfident and didn''t show Southend any respect and this is why (IMO) we didn''t win the game. 

[/quote]

I agree and I think we all have to learn a lesson from this.  The players were overconfident and the fans were overconfident.  I confess I was too and was wondering when the fourth goal would go in. 

Don''t normally join in with the "Easy" chants but I did last night.  Add those, the "1-0 up and ******* it up " song, plus Croft''s antics on the touchline, and its no wonder Southend fought back with such gusto.

We''re not in the Premier League now and we''re not even favourites for this division.  I''m not saying we should cower down and be "little old Norwich", but you have to show teams some respect.  If we haven''t learned that nobody rolls over and dies in this league then we will never get out.

I didn''t post last night when I got back because I was too gutted!!

Agree with your summary of the game Saint Canary and wouldn''t disagree with the players ratings either.You missed Henderson that would have been a 2 for me!!!! The sooner Worthy lets the lad move on the better because I can''t see him ever making the first team regulary here.

Guess we have to look at the positives

Croft - another great display

Goalie - ok let 3 goals in but made same great saves too

Earnie - will score 20 + goals for us this season if he stays

3 goals away from home.

Doc - you were awesome last night.

McVeigh - Could be a regular if he cuts out the showboating.

Lets hope we give Palace a right thrashing on Saturday, its my birthday so I need to be smiling..

I think even Ralph would wish you a happy birthday on those terms, Angel! Will you be old enough to join Mello in the Cathedral snooze parlour?

[quote user="cityangel"]

I didn''t post last night when I got back because I was too gutted!!

Agree with your summary of the game Saint Canary and wouldn''t disagree with the players ratings either.You missed Henderson that would have been a 2 for me!!!! The sooner Worthy lets the lad move on the better because I can''t see him ever making the first team regulary here.

Guess we have to look at the positives

Croft - another great display

Goalie - ok let 3 goals in but made same great saves too

Earnie - will score 20 + goals for us this season if he stays

3 goals away from home.

Doc - you were awesome last night.

McVeigh - Could be a regular if he cuts out the showboating.

Lets hope we give Palace a right thrashing on Saturday, its my birthday so I need to be smiling..

[/quote]

I missed out Hendo on purpose because I didn''t want to have to state what I felt about him last night!  I agree that unless Worthy is prepared to give Henderson a run of games in the side up front to prove himself then it would be best for everyone if he left.  However I just don''t see how we could let yet another player leave, especially one on a cheap wage!

Jarvis was sent on as nothing more than time wasting fodder and I feel sorry for him.

Many happy returns for Saturday Angel, lets hope for 3 more goals for City but none for Palarse.  Here''s hoping that those new knickers will be lucky ones!!

With regard to Hendo, I can see the value in giving him a run to prove himself, a sentiment backed up by discussions on Canary Call last night but you would have thought that a player who doesn''t get much opportunity, would grasp those that he gets with both hands.

Perhaps a loan spell away from the club for a few months, might offer him the chance to play every week. We can asses his performances from afar and then make a decision on his future.

The problem with him is that he isn''t cutting it right now but we can''t really afford to let him go because we are thin as it is. I also don''t think he would command much of a fee if sold completely, as opposed to him developing with us or on loan and becoming a valuable player either for us or financially.