Sign in to follow this  
sheded

The Managers burden !

The analysis  of football management trends , 1992-2005  , all divs  , by Dr Susan  Bridgewater

The above  title  has probably scared off  70%  of posters  already  !   so I`ll  just skim through the 32 x A4  sheets , and see if I can   see anything relevant   to the  Nigel  .....

In the period in question  there`s been  678 managers   sacked or " resigned "   , of these  only 94 are currently employed  as managers .

The average tenure  of managers is just  2.4 years  .

The peak sacking periods  are   a) end of season      b)  Oct Nov  [ just before the transfer period starts ]

The movement of managers   might be described as a Merry-go-round  , but , actually  its  Musical chairs !  [  ie , the managers  who still stay in the game   just move into the place  left by the sacked manager  ... and so on  ] 

Successful  managers   usually have  high quality players  .....*

Clubs with low management turnover  have a higher win rate  *

There`s a positive correlation between  experience   , and  number of years in the same club ,  managers  need time to learn , and stability  favours success  * 

There`s a positive correllation  between years of experience  , and success rate  * 

A lot of the stuff seems self evident  !   I`ve marked with an asterisk   which parts I  think are most relevant to the Nigel situation .....  broadly speaking  , Nigel should now be approaching   some sort of  higher level , experiencewise ,  and  , if he was to take over , say Manu  ,  his success rate   would probably match , or exceed Fergies  !   

A manager is ONLY as good  as the players he`s got !    the better the players  ...... the better the manager   ! Eureka !!        so if  the board  go for broke [ literally ]    and buy  the " best " players  , Nige will  become a good manager  !   its so easy .....  [H]

It''s just a pity that Nigel''s trend of successfully buying players seems to be going in reverse and they get worse the longer he stays (Croft excepted).

[quote user="Canary02"]

It''s just a pity that Nigel''s trend of

successfully buying players seems to be going in reverse and they get

worse the longer he stays (Croft excepted).

[/quote]

Tripe.

Hucks, Doc, Etuhu to name but a few.

herb, you have named THREE successes he brought in but what about all the wasters hes signed? he has a very poor record with signings over the last few years, but he has at last signed a quality player in croft. just needs to get some more in now!

[quote user="baldyboy"]herb, you have named THREE successes he brought in but what about all the wasters hes signed? he has a very poor record with signings over the last few years, but he has at last signed a quality player in croft. just needs to get some more in now![/quote]

Croft is a good signing but was he not labelled a fat Man City reserve by people on this forum when he arrived?

Wasters like the man of the match on Tuesday night ?  You know, bloke who put that cross in, what''s his name again, Hooves is it ?

Not all signings work straight away.  It''s known as reality, you should try it some time.

[quote user="Canary02"]

It''s just a pity that Nigel''s trend of successfully buying players seems to be going in reverse and they get worse the longer he stays (Croft excepted).

[/quote]

Rubbish - 3 of his most recent are Earnshaw, Etuhu and Croft. Colin is looking better and better and at £50,000, Robinson is a useful player for the squad. I''m sure you will find players that aren''t any good but name me a manager that has not bought someone that didn''t work out.