Sign in to follow this  
ca

Treatment of Andy Hughes last night

I have to say that myself and the people around me last night were absolutely disgusted with a small minority of fans who booed Andy Hughes last night when the team sheet was read out and that was before he''d even kicked a ball. He was down our end practising shooting and must have heard it.

How will that give him any confidence and how can you boo a player in the green and yellow? Perhaps one of thoese involved would like to come on here and explain his reasoning to us.

I thought he had a much better game and really played his part last night so again it was dissapointing to hear a couple of men as we were making our way down the steps say that he was f****** useless. I asked them if they thought booing him before the game would help his confidence but guess what no reply.

Hope you''re all ashamed of yourselves, I''m not Hughes biggest fan by any means but really felt for him last night.

Other than that the travelling fans last night were superb and very vocal.

Neil Adams said that for an hour he was MoM. That says more about Neil Adams than Hughes though

And the sad thing is, it sounds like he had a very good game.Unlike, say, Shackell (maybe a bit harsh - I wasn''t there), who sounded anonymous. Just another indication of the unfair treatment given out by some of our fans.

[quote user="cityangel"]

How will that give him any confidence and how can you boo a player in the green and yellow? Perhaps one of thoese involved would like to come on here and explain his reasoning to us.

[/quote]No different to all the others (maybe including you, can''t be arsed to check) who did the same on here all season before he''d even kicked a ball in anger.I''m guessing footballers are aware of this amazing invention called the internet and its hardly beyond the realms of possibility that some of them browse football forums.On that note...McKenzie, you''re an ungrateful scrote! ;o)I fully agree with your point though C.A. Maybe they''re the same losers who were booing the team last season. With any luck they won''t have the brains to find their way any further afield than Southend.

I''ve never understood how ''fans'' can boo their own players.

Criticise when appropriate, yes. But boo, never.

Lack of confidence ran rife through our club last year, the last thing we need this time is more of that garbage.

Quite agree - he''s not the greatest player in the world, but we should never be booing one of our own.

As for results of the team, I think that there will be a Star Chamber after each game and Worthington and the players will be judged accordingly.

Last night''s result reminded me of the game at Charlton a number of years ago when we were 4-2 up with the clock running down and we ended up drawing 4-4; the equaliser coming from Jason Lee, minus his pineapple.  I was in the players bar after the game and got chatting to the late David Rocastle (who was the only human being ever to have had a long sleeve version of that dodgy Mitre shirt of circa 1996).  He was saying that Walker had gone apopletic in the dressing room after the game for losing that sort of advantage.  When I commiserated with him in anticipation of a tricky journey home, he said with great relief, that he wasn''t that concerned as he was still based in London.

Anyway, Saturday will be interesting and no doubt this board will be busy whatever the result.

P.S. has anyone seen Delia?

Hughes was terrible last season but deserves a fair crack of the whip this time.  Etuhu, Colin and Robinson have improved so no doubt Hughes can too, although at the moment he''s still behind in the midfield pecking order.

As for the reaction that I heard, a tiny majority slagged him off, a tiny majority sang his name, and the majority just watched and observed without comment.

[quote user="JayM"]

As for the reaction that I heard, a tiny majority slagged him off, a tiny majority sang his name, and the majority just watched and observed without comment.

[/quote]

Erm...that''s a tiny MINORITY actually.  Doh!

Why boo a player that gives it 100%? what does it achieve? OK, i am aware that he isn''t the most gifted player on the planet but he certainly isn''t the worst. Many player who were a little anonymous last season are looking a whole lot better this season, probably down to overall team confidence, not helped by morons booing the players. Half of these half wits that boo couldn''t hit the proverbial barn door, they just like to have someone to vent their frustrations over, many know very little about football! It makes me angry, I mean don''t get me wrong, most people here are fairly good at getting their points across but there are not too many of the boo boys giving their valid reasons for booing certain players are there?

It seems to be an odd mentality to me but some people are almost waiting for certain players to screw up, watching every pass, but other players are allowed to have bad games without any risk of receiving abuse. I guess some people with shallow lives feel that once they pay there money they can shout abuse at any player to help them over their own sense of self inadequacy.

Lets be fair, Hughes was poor to awful for most of last season but for people to say he was useless on Tuesday is unfair and untrue.  I actually thought he was our best midfielder and got involved all over the pitch.

It''s a shame that some people can''t let go of last season and give him a chance to turn his play around like Colin and Etuhu.  It already seems that this seasons pariahs will be Hughes and Henderson before they have hardly even kicked a ball.  

yea at the game i heard a few lads near me continually shouting "F**king Hughes!"

did anybody else hear?

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

It''s a shame that some people can''t let go of last season and give him a chance to turn his play around like Colin and Etuhu.  It already seems that this seasons pariahs will be Hughes and Henderson before they have hardly even kicked a ball.  

[/quote]

I don''t really put Hughes in the same bracket as Henderson because the former has only been here a year while the latter made his debut four years ago.  I harbour hopes that Hughes can still turn it around and be decent cover for the midfield.

Henderson shouldn''t be made a scapegoat for the other night and neither should he be booed (I''ve defended him lots over the years), but he was poor again like he has been so many times before and think his time is running out.

I was shocked about our fans still boo Hughes! POOR! I never boo a player in yellow and green shirt!!!

Booing our own players is totally out of order, it will do nothing for the lads confidence. The morons that do it obviously don''t play football. Even at the level I personally play at if you make a mistake you''re well aware of it and having someone on your back particularly a home supporter or worse still a team mate tends to lead to more mistakes. If he was given some support he may actually do a lot better. 

[quote user="Bernard Futter"]Re that Charlton game, I was there too and Charlton only had 10 men when they were 2-4 down and still managed to level the game in the last seconds...[/quote]

I remember it too! Just can''t remember who we blamed! Did we have a Henderson, Hughes or Worthington figure to blame that year?? [;)]

What good is it whatsoever booing or getting on any players back.At the end of the day it will certainly not make them any better  and there value will also suffer in the long run.Hughes against southend did a great job and like a lot of the new players that failed last season they are all starting to look the part so like the others  we need to give hughes a break.

[quote user="canary cherub"]

[quote user="Bernard Futter"]Re that Charlton game, I was there too and Charlton only had 10 men when they were 2-4 down and still managed to level the game in the last seconds...[/quote]

I remember it too! Just can''t remember who we blamed! Did we have a Henderson, Hughes or Worthington figure to blame that year?? [;)]

[/quote]

Wasn''t at the game, but remember Bryan Gunn going through a bad spell of form (he was dropped soon after for the first time ever).  Seem to recall Rob Newman getting stick around that time as well.

Ulf Ottosson played in that match, so lets blame him instead!

Yes, I went to that one - didn''t a very young Lee Bowyer score a good goal against us?

[quote user="Getting off the fence"]

Yes, I went to that one - didn''t a very young Lee Bowyer score a good goal against us?

[/quote]

Don''t know, but he scored a good goal the year before at the Valley (drew 1-1).