Sign in to follow this  
Green army

Youth team? What youth team!!!

One aspect i am seroiusly worried about is the lack of youngsters breaking through here at city. I mean Southampton have got stars like Kenwyn Jones, Gareth Bale, Ipswich Billy Clarke, loads of Championship teams have got youngsters breaking through and Norwich City have...... Micheal Spillane??? or Andrew Cave-Brown? i haven''t seen enough to make a decision on those two yet, then the closet we have to youngters are Ryan Jarvis who hasn''t really been given the chance needed unlike Ian Henderson who well......Is absolutley Shocking so lets not talk about Chris Sutton or Duncan Fergunson shall we, we need in Worthless''s words YOUNG AND HUNGRY PLAYERS!!!

Young Billy Clarke at the binners is doing a great job for them , just a lad but seen more first team action in a few months than Ryan Jarvis has seen in years.

The real shame is that Worthy did not play our young players at the end of last season when we played a number of meaningless games.

Give them 3 or 4 games to see what they can do.

Now they will get thrown in at the deep end, mostly out of position as emergency cover because we have such a thin squad.

If we dont get promoted this year and we have to sell our better players (as said by Doncaster) then I fear we will really struggle and may actually be in danger of relegation.

[quote user="NotWorthy"]Young Billy Clarke at the binners is doing a great job for them , just a lad but seen more first team action in a few months than Ryan Jarvis has seen in years.[/quote]

I think you''ll find that Ryan Jarvis was injured on and off for most of last season.  He turned 20 in July. 

Between them, the Championship clubs have at least 150 youngsters (19 or under) in their senior squad at present.  If two or three of them make a lasting impact this season, that''s about par for the course. (Kenwyne Jones is nearly 22 by the way.)

Spillane is 17, a raw talent with a lot to learn.  Had a good runout as sub for Cave-Brown at Torquay and may figure again at Rotherham (ditto Ryan Jarvis), although Spillane is really a centre back.  Cave-Brown is out until the end of October I believe.

(Cue protests from people who think that playing youngsters in the Carling Cup shows we''re not taking it seriously. . .)

[quote user="mystic megson"]

[quote user="NotWorthy"]Young Billy Clarke at the binners is doing a great job for them , just a lad but seen more first team action in a few months than Ryan Jarvis has seen in years.[/quote]

I think you''ll find that Ryan Jarvis was injured on and off for most of last season.  He turned 20 in July. 

Between them, the Championship clubs have at least 150 youngsters (19 or under) in their senior squad at present.  If two or three of them make a lasting impact this season, that''s about par for the course. (Kenwyne Jones is nearly 22 by the way.)

Spillane is 17, a raw talent with a lot to learn.  Had a good runout as sub for Cave-Brown at Torquay and may figure again at Rotherham (ditto Ryan Jarvis), although Spillane is really a centre back.  Cave-Brown is out until the end of October I believe.

(Cue protests from people who think that playing youngsters in the Carling Cup shows we''re not taking it seriously. . .)

[/quote]

Good points mystic. I would like to add a fundimental factor that has been overlooked.

You can only play these youngsters if they are good enough to make the step up. It''s all well and good that the ''fault finding association'' say ''why don''t we play them''? We are not talking Wayne Rooney here, We are talking about a few average raw talents that have a lot to learn.

When or if they are good enough, they will play. I don''t for one minute think that we wouldn''t want to start our best eleven.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

The real shame is that Worthy did not play our young players at the end of last season when we played a number of meaningless games.

[/quote]

If you take the last 4 games after our season was mathematically over, it was a mixed bag.

Spillane played twice and then got injured v QPR.   Rossi Jarvis was on duty with England youth, and Joe Lewis was on the bench while Gallacher was blooded, so not Worthy''s fault with those.

Strange though that Cave-Brown didn''t figure (even on the bench), Henderson played one full game at Sheff Wed (admittedly not a great one) and Ryan Jarvis made just one appearance at home to QPR before going back to the bench again.  A missed opportunity perhaps?

[quote user="JayM"][quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

If you take the last 4 games after our season was mathematically over, it was a mixed bag.

Spillane played twice and then got injured v QPR.   Rossi Jarvis was on duty with England youth, and Joe Lewis was on the bench while Gallacher was blooded, so not Worthy''s fault with those.

Strange though that Cave-Brown didn''t figure (even on the bench), Henderson played one full game at Sheff Wed (admittedly not a great one) and Ryan Jarvis made just one appearance at home to QPR before going back to the bench again.  A missed opportunity perhaps?

[/quote]

Jay, thinking back to what the atmosphere at CR was like at the end of last season, ie. toxic, that could be why the youngsters did not get as much exposure as they might have done.