THE FACTS

AWAY RESULTS FOR LAST 4 SEASONS + THIS SEASON

2002/2003 Pl23 W5 D8 P23 Poss69

2003/2004 Pl23 W10 D7 P37 Poss69

2004/2005 Pl19 W0 D7 P7 Poss57

2005/2006 Pl23 W6 D4 P22 Poss69

2006/2007 P4 W0 D2 P2 Poss12

Totals Pl92 W21 D28 P91 Poss276

Sorry for the format had it in a nice little table but couldn''t get this this to accept it. Hope it come out alright.

Roughly a point a game.

Thoughts.

To go up second you will need on average 89/90 point

An average of 23 away points means we need 67 point.

This means we can afford to draw 1 home game and have to win the rest.

Ok i''ll admit that these are only statistics and all that but it don''t look good.

THOUGHTS (if any)

WORTHINGTON OUT

In my opinion you can analyse statistics all you like, you can times out what we will get points wise if wee keep going at the current rate, then decide if thats enough for the play offs etc etc. The league looks tight this year, and i dont think you'''' need 75 for the play offs, 70 max and the same with auto promotion.

I would much rather use a simpler and effective way of judging how we''re doing - it works like this -

If we are in the top 6 or right in touch ( although anything bar play offs isntgood enough) we are doing fine. If we are off the pace we''re not.

The FACT is that if you are in the top 6 you make the play offs, we''re 5th so whats the problem? Yes , we wont win every game at home, but i''m also sure we will win games away.

Echo those remarks by Matt. Would be crazy to sack Worthy right now.

If he was going to go, then it would have been last year where most fans could have understood that decision.

To change managers now would be quite frankly stupid. From the reports I have seen (Not seen us this season) seem to indicate that we are playing better at least.

So for me it''s no knee jerk reaction.

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

...but i''m also sure we will win games away.

[/quote]

Sorry Matt, but what do you base that on?  Our recent away form?

The fact that we''ve won 6 games away from home in two years? Out of

over 40 trips?

Or is it just optimism, in which case, fair enough?

Yes we will win games away from home this season, but only against some

of the lesser teams (remember we beat Brighton away last year -

whoopee, turning point).  We haven''t even managed to beat Southend

- I''m not saying they should be underestimated, but from what I''ve

heard we should have won that game easily but fell apart when it

mattered.  Same story from the Leeds game.

I honestly can''t say myself what the problem is, since I don''t get to

many away games, but it is clear that there is something wrong with the

team travelling away from home - much like Fulham. (I read something at

the weekend that said that Chris Coleman likes to travel on match days

as he feels his players benefit from sleeping in their own beds the

night before a game - because Fulham''s outstanding away record is so

good, it must work...)

I''m not the Coach, or the Manager, so it''s not my job to identify and

rectify the problem.  But, whatever it is, it needs fixing

NOW.  No more excuses...

Here are some interesting facts:

In 2004/2005 - Ipswich finished 3rd, 2 points from automatic promotion having won 7 away games.  Watford also won 7 games away that year and finished 18th, 2 points from relegation.

In 2005/2006 - Stoke won 10 away games, more than 3 of the 4 teams in the playoffs and finished 13th.

Heres another fact, you have to go back to 95/96to find a Championship winning side who won less away games than us.

going by the fact we have won 6 out of 46 away then this season we can expect 3 away wins cant we? wow! that will really help us to the play offs, means we need to win 20 out of 23 home games which aint gonna happen either is it?

[quote user="baldyboy"]going by the fact we have won 6 out of 46 away then this season we can expect 3 away wins cant we? wow! that will really help us to the play offs, means we need to win 20 out of 23 home games which aint gonna happen either is it?[/quote]

I am prepared to make a bet with you that City will win more than 3 away games this year.

These "facts" mean nothing.  The only facts that count are total points and final league position at the end of the season. 

[quote]going by the fact we have won 6 out of 46 away then this season we can expect 3 away wins cant we? wow! [/quote]

I wasn''t aware we were playing Premiership teams this season.  Well, saves us all the hassle of getting promoted I suppose.

Mystic Blah says :

We will win away at Hull, Colchester, Barnsley, Stoke, Leicester and Sheffield Wednesday.

Saint Canary - At last somebody who talks sense about the only facts that will count, our final points tally and our final league position, everything else (positive or negative) is pure speculation on the part of the poster. Lets be honest 6 or 7 games into a season is not the time to judge any teams promotion/relegation/play off/mid table obscurity credentials, IMHO the turn of the year is a good "review point".

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Saint Canary - At last somebody who talks sense about the only facts that will count, our final points tally and our final league position, everything else (positive or negative) is pure speculation on the part of the poster. Lets be honest 6 or 7 games into a season is not the time to judge any teams promotion/relegation/play off/mid table obscurity credentials, IMHO the turn of the year is a good "review point".[/quote]

Just goes to show SOB that there is only one "fact" that counts.

Just to make another point, Notts Forest made the playoff''s with 6 away wins and 7 draws.  That''s only 3 more points than we managed away last season. 

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Saint Canary - At last somebody who talks sense about the only facts that will count, our final points tally and our final league position, everything else (positive or negative) is pure speculation on the part of the poster. Lets be honest 6 or 7 games into a season is not the time to judge any teams promotion/relegation/play off/mid table obscurity credentials, IMHO the turn of the year is a good "review point".[/quote]

On the basis that the turn of the year is a good review point, is it also a good time to determine whether the squad is strong enough and to spend money to bolster any areas of concern ?

I do believe that you''re on the way to agreeing with the boards'' transfer policy, SOB Smile [:)]

Out of those 46, 19 were in the prem. most promoted sides wont win many away from home. So lets look at our last 2 full championsip seasons

Played 46, Won 16, Drawn 11, Lost 19

Now these aarent relaible statistics to judge this year by but it says in our last 2 championsip seasons we average 8 away wins and around 30 points. You will need 75 max to reach the play offs and even if we pick up 25 away, 50 at home is gettable. 17 wins from 23 is perfectly possible at fortress carrow road.

I hate statistics and people trying to work out how many points we''ll get (but it seems the only way to make a point). We dont need great away form to reach the play offs, we just need 7 wins perhaps. I''m sure we''ll win games away.

Your are manipulating the stats more than me. You won''t include our Premiership season but choose to go back to the season before that when we were run away champions. Come on the stats thing was a bit of fun but your analysis is just bias. What you should look at is how our away performances have declined since then.

As i say the prem is a differnet kettle of fish altogether.

I think personally that on paper we have as good if not better side than we did in the promotion year. Thats why i believe that eventually we will start to win away games.

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

As i say the prem is a differnet kettle of fish altogether.

I think personally that on paper we have as good if not better side than we did in the promotion year. Thats why i believe that eventually we will start to win away games.

[/quote]Then we have nothing to worry about we are going up as champion. RIGHT!

Obviously people will include whatever seasons results back up their own point of view. Surely the only seasons results that count are this season? My point of view is that we have improved since last season! I can back this up with the results from the first 7 games of last season compared to this. (As I did in another post!)

Last season: Played 7 (5 home, 2 away) won 1, drawn 3, lost 3, scored 6, conceded 8.

This season: Played 7 (3 home, 4 away) won 3, drawn 2, lost 2, scored 13, conceded 10.

5 more points, and 7 more goals this season despite playing twice as many away games!

Ashton 3 goals last season, Earnshaw 6 this!

I''m not suggesting everything is perfect but surely you can see changes for the better. I know I can.

Now I''m sure people can find another set of results to make the manager seem inept and make it look like there has been no improvement!