Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

THE POSITIVITY OF THE SOUTHEND RESULT.

After a while I decided t step away from the Southend post mortem and since then have decided it may well be a very good result for Norwich in the long term.

We have made a good start to the season but for various reasons crashed at Coventry and that defeat was plain demoralising with nothing to take from it. Such thrashings just demoralise and do little to spur people on.

But the Southend game saw Norwich come back and have a go away from home to find themselves in a rare leading position which they had forgotten how to close out.

It wasn''t a defeat, it might have felt like it, but the manner of it all will do more for the psyche of the players than the actual defeats this season as they will be determined not to let fear come into their performances again, they have learned things for themselves.

Perhaps I am not explaining what is a gut feeling for me particularly well, I just see tuesday night as a watershed we can positively kick on from, just as long as supporters don''t let it get to them and begin scapegoating certain players.

A draw itself was a good result, a win Saturday puts us almost back on course and the team have generally played well this season. Let''s beat Palace and look forwards.

Totally agree Rudolph.  I''d rather we got this lesson learned in September than in December, or worse next year.  I''m sure that we all hope that next time Norwich find themselves in this position, that they learned from the experience at Southend and deal with it more professionally.

Agreed Rudolph.  After the game I was furious but having calmed down, there were lots of positives to take away.  We actually played some sparkling football, there were some good individual performances, and the fans were magnificent.  To see Norwich attacking in that manner away from home was a joy to watch.  It was the last 25 minutes that cost us and hopefully we can learn from it.

Ultimately, a point was not really good enough, but fortunately our home form has given us a platform to build from.  If we are still throwing away leads and not winning away from home in the next couple of months, then that is the time we should really start worrying.

I would just like to ask what lessons will be learned from the Southend result. Two seasons ago we were 3-1 up against Palace only to draw 3-3 a win would have kept us in the Premiership.

If we want to be positive we should be looking at winning every game (Martin O Neil philosophy) not being satisfied with drawing with a team that were two divisions below us two seasons ago. Many said that we put up a good performance against Leeds but to me Sunderland put that into perspective Wednesday night.

This isn''t a whinge just personally I don''t think the club has a positive attitude

Ridge, I think we have a number of young players in key positions who would have learned.

I remember Boothroyd taking a positive attitude to Watford''s first home defeat last season saying they learned a great deal to benefit them.

I can see lots of positives from the Southend game! We played well for long periods in the game but to let them back the way we did and to lose 2 points with the very last kick of the match was disappointing. I think that disappointment has made people forget about the good things that happened. I mentioned in another thread that the fans were chanting "it''s just like watching Brazil" during this game! Its a long time since that happened at an away match so we must have been playing well for part of the game and thats a big improvement from anything we saw away from home last season.

A draw was a good result but the manner we got it made it feel like a loss. We scored 3 goals and played well for long periods. I am gonna concentrate on the positives!

[quote user="ridgeman"]

I would just like to ask what lessons will be learned from the Southend result. Two seasons ago we were 3-1 up against Palace only to draw 3-3 a win would have kept us in the Premiership.

If we want to be positive we should be looking at winning every game (Martin O Neil philosophy) not being satisfied with drawing with a team that were two divisions below us two seasons ago. Many said that we put up a good performance against Leeds but to me Sunderland put that into perspective Wednesday night.

This isn''t a whinge just personally I don''t think the club has a positive attitude

[/quote]

I don''t think Southends position 2 years ago is relevant, you play the team in front of you on the day. It is nice to want to win every game but taking positives when you haven''t won is still good, otherwise you just become disillusioned.

I can''t psychologically see many positives I am afraid. When I played football, i was really p****d off if we lost or drew at the last minute, especially if we had been playing well.That was only at a very low level at college. Had we nicked a goal at the last minute I might have agreed, but we have had too many bad away defeats over the past couple of seasons to be any way positive about throwing away a two goal lead: we play well but still can''t win away- even more of a mental block now developing.

As is fairly obvious form my name/piccie I''m a big Southend fan & was a season ticket holder for many years until I fell out of love with football. A move to our fine city 18 years ago & a couple of trips to Carrow Road rekindled my love affair & I have been a season ticket holder ever since. Those who know me suggested the result on Tuesday night would be the right one for me but it wasn''t, I was totally gutted that my boys threw away a 2 goal lead & I still am. My mate John who''s a big Southend fan reckons it was the best game he''s seen at Roots Hall for 5 years; in that Southend were in the doldrums 5 years ago he could probably have extended that term to nearer 10 years. So looking for positives, we WERE involved in a highly entertaining match and, more importantly, when you look at Southend''s success over the last 3 years under Tilly - avoiding a drop into the Conference & a Millenium Stadium final, 2 further trips to Cardiff including promotion via the play-off final & a further promotion as Champions it''s not suprising they showed a lot of determination, belief and commitment, despite being outplayed & 2 goals down. On the negative side we (the players) simply didn''t do our (their) job right, and after conceding 6 goals in 3 games I can''t be confident regarding the visit of Palace tomorrow. Lets''s hope they have learned something & that 3 points tomorrow & some imminent away victories will allay my anxieties. Cum on u yellows!