Sign in to follow this  
allways travelling

Shackell form shaky

I know he is only young so this is not a criticism thread but the game against coventry some of his marking left a lot to be desired and i noticed against southend he was leaving his markers to much room and needs to get a lot tighter.He also got caught out against barnsley when he mistimed his tackle.Time for docherty to put his arm round and give him some advice.Given time this lad will turn out to be a top class defender  still a little bit nieve at the moment though.I hope he has a blinder sat to restore a bit of his confidence.

I agree. His form is reminiscent of last season so far. He started ok (after getting his place back) but by Watford away he was having howlers, and that''s what''s starting to happen again. He''s been exceptional at the back end of the previous seasons though. Odd. He''s got the talent though.

Yeah, something isn''t quite right with Shacks at the moment but hopefully its just a brief loss of form.  Deserves another run out against Palace - we''ve seen enough class performances from him to know what he can do, so hopefully he''ll ride it out.

I wonder whether Shackells form has anything to do with a bid for Andy O''Brien???

I hope not, we could without one of our only academy products being dropped for a loaner!

I cant say for certain as ive only listened to the commentary but it has given me that impression, i think this is why Worthington has been quite vocal about Andy O''brien, give him a little kick up the backside.

I agree with these comments but I would point out the following:

1. Worthy should have recruited a centre back to challenge /cover for both Shacks and Doc. Only old man Fleming is on standby! We have no decent, realistic back up. The emphasis has been on  ''target man'' when our main problems continue to be at the back and in midfield.

2. The issues highlighted should be addressed by the coach (past and present). Almost to a ''man'', fans have lined up to pay homage to the God Hunter, I have always advocated restraint until there is far more evidence.     

3. Shacks continues to be almost 100% reliant on his left foot. Until that problem is sorted and he can at least carry out the basics with his right foot he will not make a top drawer defender.   

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

I wonder whether Shackells form has anything to do with a bid for Andy O''Brien???

I hope not, we could without one of our only academy products being dropped for a loaner!

[/quote]

why does every1 seem to think every player takes it as a personal insult if we try to draft in a player in the same position

If I remember rightly he was also not faultless during the Barnsley game and his mistake led to their goal which for a few minutes looked to have breathed new life into them. Of course we went on to win but he does seem to be making silly mistakes which are affecting the team and making us look very shaky. Hopefully he can regain his form with support from his team mates which no doubt he is getting. Just hope the same comes from the crowd otherwise it could ruin his confidence further like Henderson.

Lets look at this player started with very good games at leeds,preston,luton, and excellent at derby.Barnsley was guilty of slackness just like team that had thought they had one the game before it started.Coventry terrible tackel first 2 mins nearly sent off thats a lot to cope with, did he get support from staff at half time? Southend ,was he possibly still suffering from cheek bone problem for which acording to worthington i believe he was sent for x ray sunday ,only looking for reasons?.We are allways ready to get on players backs without looking at the reasons.After tueday which many of us could not believed happened lets start again, and support the team.

[quote user="Alan Ball"]Lets look at this player started with very good games at leeds,preston,luton, and excellent at derby.Barnsley was guilty of slackness just like team that had thought they had one the game before it started.Coventry terrible tackel first 2 mins nearly sent off thats a lot to cope with, did he get support from staff at half time? Southend ,was he possibly still suffering from cheek bone problem for which acording to worthington i believe he was sent for x ray sunday ,only looking for reasons?.We are allways ready to get on players backs without looking at the reasons.After tueday which many of us could not believed happened lets start again, and support the team.[/quote]

This thread isn''t about getting on Shackell''s back.  Its simply observing the fact that he is not playing well which in truth, he isnt.  Would you prefer it if we gave each player 10 out 10 every week?

Not at all. would be graet if 10 out of 10 was the case then we be winning each week. Just trying to look for reasons why the last couple games shacks form has dipped?If we look at last two games coventry and southend the whole shape of the team has changed, the only game I have not seen was torquay so can not comment and so far performannces from most other games except  coventry and possibly southend has been very good.

[quote user="Alan Ball"]Not at all. would be graet if 10 out of 10 was the case then we be winning each week. Just trying to look for reasons why the last couple games shacks form has dipped?If we look at last two games coventry and southend the whole shape of the team has changed, the only game I have not seen was torquay so can not comment and so far performannces from most other games except  coventry and possibly southend has been very good.[/quote]

Fair point.  We don''t always know the full story behind somebody''s form and as somebody earlier pointed out, it is very similar to the start Shacks made last season.  Hopefully, its just a blip for Shackell but it is slightly worrying.  Palace will answer a few questions for him and the team but i''m feeling relatively confident.  I think the atmosphere will be good too considering our excellent home form so I wouldn''t worry about him getting stick.

Shackell needs to toughen up and get stuck in more.

He regularly gets whacked in the face, that''s because he holds back. If he went in more solidly he would avoid it more.

Nothing against O''Brien but I don''t think he was better than Shacks.

Yes maybe Shacks did not play so well compared as last season, also he was the academy product so I believe everyone want him to do well for us, but every players made mistakes, same as Shacks! Don''t drop a player too easily after he had some poor games, it would only destory his confidence. Maybe a loan player come in can give the warning signs to the first team player liked Boyle to Drury: you must to play well every game!!!

[quote user="barclay4ever"][quote user="Saint Canary"]

[/quote]

why does every1 seem to think every player takes it as a personal insult if we try to draft in a player in the same position

[/quote]

They tried to draft in someone to do my job at work - I was a little put out - (fortunately noone would accept the pay cut).