Sign in to follow this  
Hooleyfan

What's that building in the South east corner

Pardon my ignorance - but living outside of the area I''m a bit in the dark as to what that new construction is between the Jarrold Stand and the Barclay. I presumed that when I saw the start of work last season that that corner was getting filled in and we would have something similar to the Norwich Union Community Stand and our ground capacity might rise to about 28,000, but sad to see that now it is looking like an office block - can somebody enlighten me please.

It''s a Holiday Inn budget hotel

The club earned approx £1m from it.

Rooms will be approx £80 a night so if you split it with friends you can watch the match for cheaper than buying a ticket AND you can drink alcohol in full view of the pitch.

It''s going to be a Hotel, should increase our capacity by 50-100 depending how many people you can fit on the balcony or in the window.

Its a genetic research facility, designed to nurture our next generation of talent.We''ve already harvested dna from several City legends and world domination is only years away.

Our very own Fawlty Towers, lets face it finding appropriate staff from around the club wouldn’t be much of a problem will it!

It’s going to be a hotel where by the club have provided the land and have if I recall correctly received a cash payment for and then a  percentage of future profits.  At the time of writing I can’t remember who the operator is.

Another interesting fact is that RG Carter had already moved their site set up onto that part of the ground before the club announced they had won the contract after a long and exhaustive tendering process.  All very odd but I’m sure Doncaster will be able to provide details of who the other contractors were at the next AGM.

It is going to be a hotel.  From what I know, it is a deal with someone outside, so the club dont own the hotel (or incur building costs) but do take around 20% of the revenue. 

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]Pardon my ignorance - but living outside of the area I''m a bit in the dark as to what that new construction is between the Jarrold Stand and the Barclay. I presumed that when I saw the start of work last season that that corner was getting filled in and we would have something similar to the Norwich Union Community Stand and our ground capacity might rise to about 28,000, but sad to see that now it is looking like an office block - can somebody enlighten me please.[/quote]

They''re building a 3-star hotel.  It''s a joint-venture between the Club and a construction comapany.  The Club will have a percentage stake in the business and a share of the profits.  The ultimate aim is to sell it off and cash in.  Like you, I am very disappointed they haven''t made another corner in-fill - or at the very least, put some seats on the side of the hotel.  Lets hope we get a giant TV screen instead, as there is still a bit of a gap there!

Its a Holiday Inn Hotel.

Appartently its part of the club but hoilday inn paid NCFC to put it at the location.

If you live outside the area you may want to stay in it on a Saturday and make a day or weekend of it all.

More funding to the club that we won''t see?

Cheers

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]Pardon my ignorance - but living outside of the area I''m a bit in the dark as to what that new construction is between the Jarrold Stand and the Barclay. I presumed that when I saw the start of work last season that that corner was getting filled in and we would have something similar to the Norwich Union Community Stand and our ground capacity might rise to about 28,000, but sad to see that now it is looking like an office block - can somebody enlighten me please.[/quote]

Hooley, I really don''t know how to tell you this . . .

This construction my friend is going to be a hotel, aka the Beirut Hilton - it''s looked like a bombed-out shell for months.  The club will not make any money from it directly.  The idea I believe is that the punters will eat next door in Delia''s Restaurant and make money for the club that way. 

The precise financial details are not very clear.  Some people think we sold the land to the hotel developers for £1 million, others that we gave it to them for free, in exchange for the catering arrangements outlined above. 

Sorry to make a bad weekend even worse . . . 

OTBC

It''s the biggest concrete box I''ve ever seen in my life!!

It''s a hotel - Holiday Inn I think!? Norwich have signed a deal with the company to get a percentage of revenue. Certainly isn''t a corner infill!!

It''s the all new Norwich City FC gulag. A prison/rehabilitation centre for any fan who dares to criticise Worthington or the board of directors. You are either for us or against us!

With reference to Jetstream''s post, is anybody seriously considering hiring a room for the night on match days when the new hotel opens? I should imagine the hotel management will slap a limit on the number of guests allowed into one''s room at any given time, which will be strictly enforced. If they don''t introduce such a measure, however, the hotel could do a roaring trade on match days.

[quote user="Herb"]Its a genetic research facility, designed to nurture our next generation of talent.
We''ve already harvested dna from several City legends and world domination is only years away.
[/quote]

Love it Herb, if only that were true

its a white elephant from which we make no money is what it is!

just wait till holiday inn pull out and we have an empty shell in one corner!

also, are u sure about the alcohol in view of the pitch? Bolton got into trouble for it in their hotel..

jas :)

Thank you all for your informative posts. I get a good sense of the issues and am appauled. I just cant see how this is going to be good for the fans and the extra thousands who would get the games if business was developed on this basis.

At this rate the Geoffrey Watling Stand will be a Tesco Store by the end of the decade!

#"What''s that building in the South East corner.......Is it a monster, is it a monster?!"# [:|]

Lyrics ''altered'' by kind permission of "The Automatic"...allegedly.