Sign in to follow this  
Clint

We Only Score With Help......

Like most, I''ve been very impressed with the pretty football on display (at home) this season but for all the triangular passing, do we really ever look like scoring?!?!  Before you laugh and say we''ve scored 10 goals this season, I beleive this is much more down to luck than us being a potent attacking force......consider the following:

1)  Vs Preston we played very neat attractive football but until their defender sliced it into his own net, we didn''t look particularly dangerous. 

2)  We were 2-0 down to Luton and not really looking like scoring until their defender completely missed the ball and let Hucks clean through on goal.

3)  We stuck 5 past Barnsley but the first goal was a penalty and resulted in a fairly dubious red card for their defender.   

See a pattern?!?!  Our first goal in each home game has come from a defensive blunder and you cannot rely on the opposition gifting us chances all season.  This has been proven in the fact that we''ve failed to score a single goal away from home - we create even less chances and as such, there is very little for the opposition defense to cock up and for us to take advantage of.

There are a number of disturbing factors that contribute to this, which you are all familiar with.  I just thought it''s a bit of a worrying fact and sheds a bit of light on why I think we are scoring for fun at home but couldn''t score if we played all day away. 

Your thoughts.......

there is an old saying in football "it doesn''t matter how you score aslong as you score" at the end of the day we won those games and played well, sure we had a little lady luck on our side but so do most teams that do well.

I agree with you to an extent Clint but against Barnsley we looked dangerous all game, but I must agree with you about the other two games, I was getting worried against Preston as I couldn''t see where a goal was going to come from, and against Luton we didn''t really threaten until Hucks scored from then on we looked dangerous, but it does seem we need something to kick start us and away from home we haven''t seem to have got that, and maybe that is why we have failed to score.

Virtually any goal ever scored by anyone is down to a defensive lapse

or error, the exception being something like Saf''s against Newcastle.

Most goals are scored after a mistake, it can be argued that as we were the home team that we forced the opposition into making mistakes. Away from home though you''ve got a good point, we aren''t necessarily taking the game to the opposition enough and it''s them forcing us into mistakes and we''re getting punished for it.

For most of our home games we have dominated posession, even though at times we have not been particularly threatening. If we control the ball for long periods in the oposition half we are much more likely to be able to take advantage of the mistakes that all teams make. So far the same can''t be said away from home (except maybe Leeds) and we have struggled.

Many of the teams who are successful away from home are so because they are strong in defence and quick on the counter. We are neither of these things. 

[quote user="Clint"]

Your thoughts.......

[/quote]

I''m surprised you didn''t add that all the goals against us have been down to our own incompetence too. There, that sums it up, lucky in attack and rubbish in defence.[8-)]

Point proven I think - Crystal Palace were less than generous in their defending and as a consequence we failed to even get their keepers pyjama''s dirty.

Not one decent attempt on goal in over 90 mins - a complete lack of creativity and utter rubbish! 

Stop building hotels and start building a squad!