Sign in to follow this  
1st Wizard

worthy out or not

just out of interest all you worthy outers would you rather see us 20th in the table come january and worthington is sacked but we still hvae a slim chance of play offs or us to be play offs in january and worthy to stay??/

your thoughts!

[quote user="joshmickelburgh"]

just out of interest all you worthy outers would you rather see us 20th in the table come january and worthington is sacked but we still hvae a slim chance of play offs or us to be play offs in january and worthy to stay??/

your thoughts!

[/quote]I would expect the board to act before January if we are showing the sort of form that would have us 20th. I would expect the fans to rally long before then too en mass which would make is position untenable. There would be a huge increase in the protests I feel compared to last season and the board would have to act. We can get rid of Worthington and still make the play offs if the board act quick enough. They will be feeling the pressure and they will have to act if the pressure from the fans increases. Don''t forget media pressure which is also be a factor in my view. Worthy out and give us our pride back.

As much as i want Worthy out for two seasons of abject failure i fear the problems at our club run far deeper.  He is just the head on the boil so to speak.  Lots of questions remain unanswered about missing money from p/ship parachute payments and the excess from players transfers.  Delia/Doomcaster, where has it gone ??.  The total lack of ambition and obvious lies about pushing for promotions this season whilst not replacing senior players also needs to be addressed....just what are the boards aspirations for this club???? .  What is going on at the moment is akin to asset stripping aka Robert Chase.

I fear the damage has already been done at our club.  Who ever takes over when/if Worthless gets the boot will have a massive task ahead of them.  I sense that any manager with an ounce of nouse will steer well clear of Norwich under its present regime. 

100% OUT

but as I have said in earlier posts its probably too late unless we ACT NOW.

If we wait too long.............

The new manager would probably be forced to sell our better players and have a small budget as well as having am average group of youth players.

We have changed the style of football (plus) but left ourselves with a squad totally inadequate in depth of talent for our stated aim of pushing for promotion (negative).  As yet we dont seem to have improved our competetiveness against the likely top 8 sides nor improved away from home.

My initial thoughts is that the manager should get another 5 games;  but another part  of  me feels he has been having another five games for over a season now and things have not materially changed - we continue to pick up enough points to give the majority of us hope only to see a poor run of performances.   That cycle has been happening since we returned to the champs.   When do we say enough is enough?

Plymouth and Burnley he has - but to not get a win in either of those would make things very difficult,  but I can see a draw and a win to give us yet another hope renewal only to have things dashed against bham and cardiff...

Things are not automatically going to change for the better by removing the manager,  but nor have we seen any real evidence that the manager has improved where we needed to, to be able to have a real push for promotion.. 

Its a real quandary,  I guess I can only really say wait until late Oct.

That way we know whether Nigel really can effect a change (results v Cardiff, Bham) or not,  and it then allows the club to consider who should be a replacement (Hunter or a n other), and to get them in with time to assess the squad and able to deal during the Jan transfr window.

I have wanted a change for around 12 months or so and see no reason to change my mind. There are just too many issues for him to continue and Saturday''s inept decision to give young Ryan Jarvis just 120 seconds to make a difference is just another piece of evidence.

Worthy out. He''s taken us as far as he can. I don''t dislike the guy but I am losing respect for him because of his comments in the media and his attitudes to the players and fans. We need a change to drive the club further forward! However while Worthy is in charge I will continue to get behind the team (not the manager) 100%. We saw last season that chanting Worthy out etc had no effect other than to disrupt the team. If we miss the playoffs then something has to be done by the fans but until that point I believe more harm will be done than good by re-creating the tense hostile environment at Carrow Road of last season!

The issue is really that unless Worthington had us at the top of the league AND playing good football he was always going to be in trouble. Things went too far last season and short of a miracle he was never going to escape this season. The board are just putting off the inevitable by keeping him going. We need wholesale reinforcements to the squad, which we only have a limited supply of cash for. Worthington, after all his time here, will only buy proven quality, and so cannot enlarge the squad as is needed because the funds and his ambition don''t match up. We need someone who is prepared to buy lower league players and develop them and the team around them. Worthington is not that man. With the best will in the world this situation is only headed in one direction.

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]Worthy out. He''s taken us as far as he can. I don''t dislike the guy but I am losing respect for him because of his comments in the media and his attitudes to the players and fans. We need a change to drive the club further forward! However while Worthy is in charge I will continue to get behind the team (not the manager) 100%. We saw last season that chanting Worthy out etc had no effect other than to disrupt the team. If we miss the playoffs then something has to be done by the fans but until that point I believe more harm will be done than good by re-creating the tense hostile environment at Carrow Road of last season![/quote]

A big fat:

OUT!!

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]Worthy out. He''s taken us as far as he can. I don''t dislike the guy but I am losing respect for him because of his comments in the media and his attitudes to the players and fans. We need a change to drive the club further forward! However while Worthy is in charge I will continue to get behind the team (not the manager) 100%. We saw last season that chanting Worthy out etc had no effect other than to disrupt the team. If we miss the playoffs then something has to be done by the fans but until that point I believe more harm will be done than good by re-creating the tense hostile environment at Carrow Road of last season![/quote]

A big fat:

OUT!!

[/quote] I agree Wiz but how do we do it without having a negative impact on the season??

OUT. We now need a manager who can operate on a very tight budget and Worthy can''t. The squad is in dire need of a hefty shake-up, and strengthening and Worthy doesn''t look like the man capable of bringing in enough good new faces to freshen things up sufficiently. Why could he only sign one new player (though, admittedly a good one), when Roy Keane arrives very late in the day at Sunderland and brings in several?

Honestly.  One bad week and you''re all off like a fire in a catherine wheel factory.  This week underlines the fine line between success and failure in the league.  Anyone can beat anyone else, and a low points total will probably win the league as a result.

The most balanced post in this thread belongs, as usual, to Zipper.

We do have the Plymouth and Burnley games to get something to stay in contention with the leading pack, and then the cardiff and birmingham games, where we need to be competitive to be considered serious contenders.

The left hand side of the first team is a real concern. Drury could be out for the Plymouth game, and while Boyle looks good, he is inexperienced and is likely to make mistakes in his first few league matches, nobodys'' perfect.  Huckerby is out for another two weeks, and while McVeigh offers some threat, he just isn''t Hucks.  I wouldn''t be surprised if we struggle against Plymouth and Burnley, only for Huckerby to return, put in the huge performances he''s capable of at this level, and turn one or both of the "bigger" matches against Cardiff or Birmingham.

If a bad week turns into a bad month or 6 weeks, then Worthington might well go on the basis of poor results / league position, but his replacement would still have to deal with limited resources, a lightweight squad, and would have to put the same begging bowl out for scraps from the Premierships '' table for loans. 

Regardless of who is in charge of the playing side of the club, financial support needs to come from somewhere if promotion is our objective.

It has to be said at the moment that promotion looks an unlikely expectation at the moment for us, under any manager.  But it''s been a bad week and it''s still early doors.

[quote user="stephen nobbs"]OUT. We now need a manager who can operate on a very tight budget and Worthy can''t. The squad is in dire need of a hefty shake-up, and strengthening and Worthy doesn''t look like the man capable of bringing in enough good new faces to freshen things up sufficiently. Why could he only sign one new player (though, admittedly a good one), when Roy Keane arrives very late in the day at Sunderland and brings in several?[/quote]

Sunderland were drowning on the pitch and needed several new faces to change things.  They also had a new consortium take over their board, and had the money available to strengthen. 

We don''t have the money to pay quality players to warm the bench.

[quote user="Canary02"]The issue is really that unless Worthington had us at the top of the league AND playing good football he was always going to be in trouble. Things went too far last season and short of a miracle he was never going to escape this season. The board are just putting off the inevitable by keeping him going. We need wholesale reinforcements to the squad, which we only have a limited supply of cash for. Worthington, after all his time here, will only buy proven quality, and so cannot enlarge the squad as is needed because the funds and his ambition don''t match up. We need someone who is prepared to buy lower league players and develop them and the team around them. Worthington is not that man. With the best will in the world this situation is only headed in one direction.[/quote]

100% true

Let me start by saying I was firmly in the Out camp last season. I felt we needed to shake things up an rebuild the squad over the summer. The board, however, chose to hang onto Worthy and that is their perrogative they after all own a controlling stake and it''s their money that''s at stake.

This season I started out very worried about the size of our squad and as the transfer window got closer and closer the fears grew. Our squad clearly lacks the depth it needs. I find it hard to blame Worthy for this. The board sets the budget for the manager. We also have to contend with the geographical problem (don''t shoot me for this but the reality is every player has to up sticks and move house, leaving family, friends, taking the kids out of school to come and play for us - other clubs may mean an extra 20 minutes in the car from their existing homes - we have to contend with this fact). The result was we went into September with an underweight squad and our only option to improve this situation is the loan market, which is far from ideal.

A major problem I had with Worthy was the style of play. Last season I didn''t feel entertained from my visits to Carrow road. This year the matches I''ve seen (and I''m not a season ticket holder so I haven''t seen every match - please don''t play the ''true fan'' game because I''m not interested) we''ve played decent football. I''ve come away entertained, excited and feeling like the long journey has been worthwhile. I want to see Norwich play the ball on the deck, have wide men with pace and an ability to pick out a pass. This is what I''ve enjoyed since I''ve been going to watch Norwich since the mid ''80s. Yes the results matter but so does the style. In this way Worthy, with the aid of Hunter, has answered my main problem with him.

So do I say Worthy in or out? Now I''ve suprised myself with my answer, I think Worhy is as good a man as any to lead us through until the transfer window opens again. This is his squad picked to play his new system. We''ve had good results amongst the recent disasters. Given the size of our squad and the fact that we are into the season now we have to stick with what we have and hope to be in a decent enough position come december and hopefully the arrival of the cavalry. The real issue lies with the board. And there we must ask a number of questions:

• Firstly what is the financial situation of the club?
  • What are the ambitions of this club?
  • Are the two mutually compatable?
  • Has Worthington been given a fair crack of the whip over the summer or has he been set up to fail?
  • What happens come December?

The problem we have is if he goes then we need to get a new manager. Without being able to answer these questions it''s very difficult top know the liekly calibre of any replacement. We may have to prepare for the idea that perhaps the real villan here isn''t Mr Worthington at all. Give him until mid November and then we deceide because there isn''t much that can be done now anyway ......

Out, even if it means spending most of the money from the McKenzie sale in buying out the manager''s contract.For three or four seasons even, we have had inadquate summer signings. Getting rid of his past mistakes and not replacing them now means that we have a completely inadquate squad. Even average injuries were going to leave us in trouble, and the bench often looks threadbare.People who claim that the Board may be denying him funds may be right, but his refusal to start dealing early in the summer break has been an annual costly mistake.There is also a complete lack of imagination. Most managers and teams adopt strategies to cope with the oponents they are playing, both before and during the games. Many have sussed us out, which isn''t difficult as we are so predictable. Our manager has fixed ideas, first 4-3-3, which seemed to work, now 4-5-1. Within games there seems no ability to change a system which is not working, and substitutues seem to be introduced according to pre-arranged plan, - Jarvis comes on after 87 minutes, and so on.I could forgive him his attitude towards the fans, his fatuous after-match comments, his damage to younger players, his frittering away money on poor transfers, his poor man-management. What I have come to hate is his unwillingness to admit mistakes and his complete and utter inflexibility. I am sure that he knows more about professional football than those of us who criticise him, but he seems blinkered and unable to change.

I think the removal of the manager is a big decision to make and it''s always a risk.  It''s a lot more difficult than just saying "out".  Having said that, keeping the status quo for a fear of the unknown is not a good way of doing things either. 

I said after Coventry that the best I saw for City this season was 5th/6th and I still maintain that but it''s dependant on our first 11 being fit and on form for the majority of the season. 

The main problem I see is that even if Worthy is given his P45, a new manager isn''t going to bring the 5 or 6 players we need with him.  We will still need a good target man and several back up players and a new man can not just magic them from nowhere.  There is nothing any manager can do about that if the money is not there.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote user="stephen nobbs"]OUT. We now need a manager who can operate on a very tight budget and Worthy can''t. The squad is in dire need of a hefty shake-up, and strengthening and Worthy doesn''t look like the man capable of bringing in enough good new faces to freshen things up sufficiently. Why could he only sign one new player (though, admittedly a good one), when Roy Keane arrives very late in the day at Sunderland and brings in several?[/quote]

Sunderland were drowning on the pitch and needed several new faces to change things.  They also had a new consortium take over their board, and had the money available to strengthen. 

We don''t have the money to pay quality players to warm the bench.

[/quote]Weren''t we "drowning" on the pitch on many occasions last season then, Blah? Yes, of course we were. So how did Worthy go about tackling the weaknesses in the squad during the close season? That''s right, he brought in one good new player. Terrific. That''s about as effective as trying to extinguish a factory fire with a water pistol. I''m sorry to be so pessimistic, but as a realist I have to say our chances of promotion under the present board and management are extremely remote.

Worthy Out. However, he is only part of the problem. The board ( i.e Delia ) is the main culprit here. Her naiveity will bring this club to it''s knees if she doesn''t start to make decisions that can take this club forward. I fear us being dragged into relegation IF the status quo remains. When Earnie goes in January, which he certainly will if this club continues to be starved of the investment it needs - we could be f*****. When Worthington goes, I''ll have slightly mixed feelings. He has brought the club forward, but his limitations have been there for all to see - He should have had the courage to move on and ply his trade elsewhere. Stick to the cakes Delia and sell up. I''ve had enough.

OUT.

The Ashton, Green and McKenzie money is a war chest to attract a new manager.

Can''t bring myself to blame Delia but just wish she gave the interview to the EDP and not a National paper.

When Worthy is gone I hope that Doncaster is as frank as he was with the Transfer Window saga, its the only way to start to get the fans onside.

[quote]That''s right, he brought in one good new player. Terrific. That''s about as effective as trying to extinguish a factory fire with a water pistol.[/quote]

Good analogy - however, you failed to address the point I made, which was that Sunderland had new money, and could afford to bring in 6 new players.

We cannot afford to have quality players sitting on the bench all season.  For whatever reason, the money isnt'' there for us to do that.  Changing the manager won''t change that.

Sunderlands 6 new players probably did not cost as much as Worthless wanted to spend on his wonder kid .

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Honestly.  One bad week and you''re all off like a fire in a catherine wheel factory.  This week underlines the fine line between success and failure in the league.  Anyone can beat anyone else, and a low points total will probably win the league as a result.

[/quote]

One bad week?? You are having a laugh buddy.

so you are all telling me you would like us 20th in the table at xmas and with no real chance of promotion just so you could see worthy out but if we are 6th and worthy is still here you would not be happy...... its people like you who cause a bad atmosphere and put extra pressure on the players making it harder for us to attract them here with this negative atmosphere