Sign in to follow this  
Mr Carrow in the City Stand

Worthington and strikers

Worthington is fast becoming a total nightmare. We already know his tactical limitations - disastrously shown to the fullest effect when Sutch replaced McVeigh at Cardiff. What has become obvious this summer is that the man also has very little clue about the transfer market or how to relate to supporters.

Since May he has announced week by week the names of so called ''20 goal'' strikers who he wanted at Carrow Road. Goater ? Taylor ? Hulse? Lee? Connolly? Shipperly ? Beckett ? All of this built up supporters expectations. Most of these players are now knocking in goals for their new clubs. Hardly any ever got to visit Norwich for talks, still less sign for us. We are now into the season, disgracefully out of the first cup competition and as yet no striker has been signed and no current striker has scored or looked remotely likely to.

Most of Worthington''s announced ''targets'' were a total joke. There was almost no chance they would sign for us and Crewe and Rotherham laughed at our so called ''bids'' for Hulse and Lee. All this has served to do is build up supporter frustration week by week. Amazingly to cap it all this week he then allowed one of our first choice strikers, Neilsen, to leave on a free at 24 hours notice. Predictably another, Abbey, is then immediately injured 2 days later at Sheffield.

All this is novice management at its worst and the performances of the team are now totally unacceptable away from home and completely undeserving of the levels of support who regularly travel. Worthington''s after match interviews are embarrassing and suggest a lack of reality. Lets face it he hasn''t got a clue really and watching us play away is like watching paint dry. He needs to shape up fast or ship out.

Strong words Mr Carrow, and possibly a tad too harsh!

Whilst i agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion and the purpose of this message board ensures that all can express their opinions...i cannot see anything constructive in your point of view!

Your point about McVeigh at Cardiff is a tad harsh! We were under-dogs in that match, and Worthy tried to kill off the game! We snatch a lead and hold on to it however we can! Surely that was what we had been doing all that season? Get a goal or 2 and then use our defence to maintain the lead! It worked well and Worthy tried to do that in Cardiff.

We have been chasing strikers and unfortunately nothing has bourne fruit! How many strikers that we were linked to, did we actually want? or have the funds for anyway? Don''t think Goater/Taylor/Beckett/Connally would have been good acquisitons anyway, so think we have done well out of that one!

The team''s performances are far from novice and we do play at times exciting football! Who else would we get in anyway as a replacement?
George Graham? Glenn Roeder? Wow, they would soon have us playing some exciting football!!!

SUpport the man at the helm, give him till xmas at least!!

Ok I agree that there is another side. But as much as I would like Worthy to get us challenging again this striker business is becoming a long running saga and is beginning to frustrate fans and make the club look inept. We cant get anybody in......we let Neilsen go.......high hopes are placed on young lads who have never scored a senior goal (Jarvis, Hammond)... Is this the best way to go about team building or is the manager out of his depth ? Like many others I am seriously beginning to wonder whether he can do it. I''d love to be proved wrong.

I think there is more to the Nielsen case than has been let out to the media. I also cant understand this comment in the way that so many supporters didnt think he was up to the job anyway.

The club is not looking inept. When was the last time we tried to sign a quality striker? And when did we pay good money for them? I think you will find that that would be about 6 years ago when we signed Roberts for £800k. And in his first season even he admits he didnt look the value. Are you also forgetting that Bellamy was very young, about 17 I believe, when he first played for the yellow and green?

Yet again people seem to get a bit carried away with the results. We are lucky to have a manager that knows what he is doing. Many people suggested that his desire for at least one new striker was more foolish than ambitious. Yet now that we look at the situation in a new light perhaps he wasnt so wrong. Roberts, no matter how good he still is, admits in the Canary Preview that he has only one or two seasons left in him and finds it increasingly painful on the muscles after a game, suggesting that perhaps he isnt really up to playing week-in week-out any more. Henderson, Jarvis showed at Northampton that they are not really up to the task yet but defenitely have the potential and given a couple more seasons will almost defenitely be there. That leaves - Notman, McVeigh, Hammond and Abbey who could be out for a while now given the response by club and manager alike.

But you also only focus on the strike force. Midfield has been strengthened unbelievebly with the arrival of Brennan and Francis. Francis is even keeping Mulryne out of the side, something that has not happened since Mulryne first arrived here. Easton has improved greatly perhaps proving that all he really needed was someone who was directly competing for his place.

Tend to agree with this, weve just carried on from last seasons mistakes, namely losing a 2 goal cushion and consequently 2 points, this nearly happened again on tuesday night against wimbledon.

City have suprisingly managed to score goals so far....most notably Mark Rivers in great form, just imagine how many goals we could score with 20 goal a season striker. I agree also that when it comes to strikers Nigel Worthington has shown very poor judgement both in the transfer market and with the strikers available to the club.

In one week weve seen Neilson leave the club for nothing, Abbey out for the season and possibly forever and to top it all off a certain Gareth Taylor signs for Forest yesterday.

There is no better time than now to either sign a quality striker from the nationwide leagues or secure a season long loan for a young premiership hopeful. The transfer market is at its most favourable for years for a club like Norwich City, why havent things been done? We shall have to wait and see how Elvis Hammond performs but if we had of signed a Shipperley or a Connolley maybe we wouldnt have to cling on to leads and consequently drop precious points.

............SORT IT OUT NIGEL, GET A STRIKER NOW! OR ITS BACK TO MID-TABLE FOR US........

The bottom line is, we can''t make people want to play for us; if they don''t want to come to Norwich, our hands are tied. Please don''t tell me that Norwich are a bigger or better club than Forest or West Ham (who Taylor and Connolly signed for), because they''re not. I can understand why those players chose to go elsewhere.

Nielsen I can understand as well; imagine you went to play in a foreign country for a few years, then your missus got offered a brilliant job back in England, and you were offered a free transfer to a good English club... would you really want to stay abroad? There''s no point keeping players here against their will!

Abbey was just really unlucky, you can''t legislate for that kind of thing; I don''t think any of these things are Worthington''s fault. We can afford to bring in a striker, but there''s no point signing the first person who agrees to come here! We still have five strikers on our books (six including Zema), plus Elvis on loan, and the way our midfielders are performing at the moment, I think we''ll keep making chances and sooner rather than later, the strikers will start to score. If the right striker becomes available at the right price, by all means bring him in, but remember that in other positions, Worthy has strengthened the squad well (Edworthy, Francis, Brennan).

The Wimbledon game was very good, I thought; I know we lost two late goals (both long-range shots than on another day could have ended up in the Barclay Upper), but other than that, what did Greeno actually have to do in the game? We were all over them for the majority of the game, and we won. That''s good enough for me.

This is a funny old league, anyone can beat anyone at any time, and we''re no different; as long as we''re hovering around the play-off area, we''re doing fine; add a new striker to the equation and we''re looking even better.

And, just to finish, please let''s not lose sight of where this club was before Worthy took over. I know this is quite a one-sided view of things at Carrow Road, but would you rather be in the position of Derby, Coventry, Ipswich, Watford or Sheffield Wednesday right now? Nah, thought not...

Worthington has tried to sign quality strikers if they are not interested in coming to Norwich IT IS NOT HIS FAULT. Lets face it the players he wanted to sign ended up at clubs were they didn''t have to move house therefore not uprooting your family and can offer more wages. If you where David Connolly would you rather play for West Ham and stay in the same area or move to Norfolk. I realise Norfolk is considerably nicer than London but at the end of the day none of the players we wanted to sign have any particular affection for Norwich so why move across the country to play for a club you have no huge desire to play for when you can stay in the same area and play for a bigger club than your previous club.

Anyway just to put a spanner in the works how about Ricardo Fuller. He can''t honestly believe Preston will be challenging for the play offs.

Ricardo Fuller would be class... IF he wants to come to Norwich. And I doubt he''d come cheap, they obviously rate him higher than Healy, and they wanted quite a lot for Healy (can''t remember how much exactly). Nice idea though!

It''s incredible isn''t it bu''gee. It''s pretty fascinating looking back to the summer and very beginning of the season and some of the posts. I wouldn''t have thought in my wildest dreams that we would be top and have Darren Huckerby up front at this stage of the season. Ahh good times!

Oh dear,this is a bit confusing! As the REAL Mr.Carrow i would like to distance myself from this chaps negative ramblings. I have actually supported Worthington pretty much since he took over and tend to limit my moaning to confrontational scousers and plastic toys at games! I dont think this person has posted in ages actually or else i would have had a go at him for nicking my pseudonym!

Yeah but it seems my pseudonym pre-dates yours eh ? ....

Oh and i''d stand by last August''s post. The lack of action over the summer was a koke. Only when the 3 on-loan players arrived did we begin to move on as a club and see what was possible. So Worthington shaped up like I said he needed to but last August he and our progress was at a crossroads.

Since then his performance has been excellent as a manager and he deserves to take us up. Just one mistake in my book...........we needed Harper to stay as wide right is a glaring weakness now affecting service to the strikers raising the danger we increasingly look to Hucks or to attack down the left.

Yep, your pseudonym pre-dates mine on this new style board but i used to post as Mr Carrow on the old board, so there!

Cant really argue with the rest of your post, at least you`ve got the guts to amend your views over time unlike some of the miserable whingers who come bleating out of the woodwork as soon as something goes wrong. I mean, there`s still someone who posts on here as `WorthyOut` for goodness sake........

Guess there''s room for 2 of us. After all, according to the announcer, Mr Carrow is found all over the ground it seems! Now you see him now you don''t.

I''ll modify mine to ''Mr Carrow/City Stand'' if it helps separate my (fairly rare) posts from yours. OTBC.............. and this season goes down as the time Worthy made some of us - including me - realise there was much more to him than we might have thought. I am really pleased that he proved my earlier doubts wrong. I desperately want to see him lead us back into the Premiership and - though it pays not to try to count chickens too early - he''s built the best chance we''ll ever have.

11 more games Mr W and you can cut yourself a slice of Norwich City history and become ''Mr Carrow'' yourself!

I have read some unbelievable rubbish on this thread ! , we are top of the division , and ,barring some unlikely disasters , look well placed for promotion ......... yet we have some brainless unmentionable criticising the manager !!! we can well do without " supporters " like that !!!

im so glad we didnt sign Goater, Taylor, Fuller, Hulse, Lee, Connolly, Shipperly or Beckett. we wouldnt have seen crouch, hucks, svensson, or mckenzie at city if we had.i think we failedto sin a lot of these strikers because worthy knew they werent really worth the extra effort in getting them.

Oops ! ......... not used to forums where the threads can last that long !! :o) ... will have to look at dates in future !