Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

Before you criticise Doncaster - Read this

I feel realy sorry for him, Doncaster is a genuinly nice guy who is very open and a better more hard working chief exec than most. What i dont get is why when Wigan showed an intersest at 10 am we didnt gamble on a 2million move for eastwood, or a move for mcleod as a back up?

Unacceptable.  We cannot be gambling the future of this club of

the sale of one player and the purchase of another in his place. 

We are already desperately short of options up front, and Leon was one

of the only players who could possibly stand in for Earnie.  We

also need a new Left Back, ''Keeper and (now) two new strikers.  We

should have been making these arrangements as well, with back-ups in

case anything went wrong.

Norwich City and Worthington are just like Sven - we have no Plan B.

With 4 minutes left until the window closes, I really am losing faith

with this club as a whole.  I''m moving to Manchester in about two

weeks.

NCFC - give me a reason not to turn my back forever!!!

A player not scouted but seen in a SINGLE MATCH on TV!!  A name that appeared Wednesday morning. We were going to pay 2 million for him.

Strange indeed.  Very worthy, he must have scored on tuesday, maybe worthy was dreaming and thought he scored against us......

People on the Norwich site are being rather scathing about it all, but that is probably being rather unfair. It does show that football transfers are really a pile of pants, and agreeing terms etc means pretty-much nothing.  You can''t really blame the guy for choosing a Prem side and presumably more money, but it is annoying that these things happen.  That said, the rules are the rules, and had we ''stolen'' a player from another side we''d be laughing about it, I guess. 

I think the best thing that we could have done after this move for Coterill fell through was to sit and take stock.  It is not the end of the world.  In a week''s time we will be able to sign any player that we might have signed today, but it would be on loan (maybe with the old classic "with a view to signing permanently"), so from that point of view nothing has really changed.  It would have been decent to have got the guy though - but £2m for a player I''ve not heard of, and know nothing about, was a little concerning!

totally agree. This may very well be naive, but in this dog eat dog world it seems very sad to me that when someone effectively "shakes" on the deal, they have no hesitation in gazumping you. All I can say is we had a lucky escape, by January he would in all likelihood have been doing a Deano. 

But have to say too that we should have had more irons in the fire than that. Perhaps we have some loan targets, and theres always Chris Sutton - which seems to make more sense than ever!

This is an absolute joke if they are trying to make us feel sorry for them! They have had all summer and the past few weeks. Why do transfers need to be done on the last day? Do these people only work hard for the 2 days leading up to a transfer window closing! Boo hoo what a hard life they have. I drive 220 miles to Norwich to watch a game every other week stopping off at my mothers for some sleep! However I dont get paid a S*** load of money to do it! To think that we have scouts and god knows who else on the payroll and all they can do is identify 1 player.

We are in a serious squad situation here and we have done nothing!! We have brought in no players at all and these are the people responsible. NO I DONT FEEL SORRY FOR THEM. This situation stinks and the club are still blagging us with crap!

Where is plan B or even C for christs sake?

Doncaster and the Board try to sign players identified to them by Worthington. It is not their job to go out and find them.

Clearly, there is one eye on the end of the parachute payments so some players are being offloaded, even Hucks hasn''t been offered a contract.

The Club is gambling on a small quality squad which it hopes won''t suffer injuries. Let''s get behind them or next season we will see fewer top players.

[quote user="Death of Canaries"]Unacceptable.  We cannot be gambling the future of this club of the sale of one player and the purchase of another in his place.  We are already desperately short of options up front, and Leon was one of the only players who could possibly stand in for Earnie.  We also need a new Left Back, ''Keeper and (now) two new strikers.  We should have been making these arrangements as well, with back-ups in case anything went wrong.

Norwich City and Worthington are just like Sven - we have no Plan B.

With 4 minutes left until the window closes, I really am losing faith with this club as a whole.  I''m moving to Manchester in about two weeks.

NCFC - give me a reason not to turn my back forever!!!

[/quote]

enjoy your prawns sarnies then!

[quote user="Marty"] 

enjoy your prawns sarnies then!

[/quote]

I meant City, not United.  I don''t like Prawns...

But seriously, this is really beginning to test my faith!  I''ll be

okay in the morning, once I''ve sobered up, but right now I can''t think

of anything that has made me more angry in recent months.  Other

than January, of course...

The transfer market at the 11th hour is clearly a difficult place to be for a manager and Chief Exec. I think that goes without saying, given the reports from the main site. I do thank them however for keping us up to date on the situation.

I have to ask why we have made it that difficult. We have had the money to bring in Cottarill (however you spell it) since the sale of green. We are now a striker short in what was a thin squad to begin with.

So what now? We have money but can''t spend it. What happened to the MK Dons lad? Mcleod?

We are now in a very tough position.

What I don''t get more than anything is the club letting Leon go, fully knowing the situation.

He is under contract and as such he is obliged to perform until sold or out of contract. It was in our best intrests to keep him, even if he was unhappy, he could have been talked to and coaxed round surely? At least try that or the alternative is what we have now, two strikers and one who is too old to play at this level. We are stuck with this until Jnauary.

I am also surprised that Earnsahw and Robinson couldn''t talk Cottarill into signing. Are there many Wigan players in the Wales side?

One frustrated supporter!

Whose asking you to feel sorry for them then ? The bloke has been brutally honest and told it how it is.

As to this plan xyz I''m sure it might work out when there''s a shortage in the sweet shop but committing two million is a bit different.

How on earth could the medical and paperwork and negotiations been carried out that quickly. Clubs have to be approached, it is not the tuck shop where your grubby little mitt reaches out for a sticky bun.

As to the herbert who wants to turn his back then goodbye. You won''t be missed.

Once again, Yellow Rages (and it seems, with alarming regularity for a poster on this site) you''ve hit the nail on the head.

Why were we conducting "last minute" transfer dealings when we''ve had weeks?

Why were we unable to tempt a player, who will be low in the pecking

order at a Prem club who have put their faith in England''s original

Donkey, Heskey?

Why were we unable to persuade Leon to stay?

Something is awry at Carrow Road...

jeez - Doncaster tries to be honest about the situation and some of you people can only complain. No I dont feel sorry for him and neither would he expect that. But he''s let us know what happened and fair play to him for doing that. The club have not panic bought for which i''m grateful. yes, we are in stuck if we get a couple of injuries. but i''m not judging anyone just yet. losing leon is not the massive problem some of you make it out to be. the man wanted out, he would not have performed for us - end of story. no matter what we think of him, we have Peter Thorne. He''s done a job before at Cardiff - maybe he can do so again for us if we need him to.

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]Whose asking you to feel sorry for them then

? The bloke has been brutally honest and told it how it is.

As to this plan xyz I''m sure it might work out when there''s a shortage

in the sweet shop but committing two million is a bit different. How on

earth could the medical and paperwork and negotiations been carried out

that quickly. Clubs have to be approached, it is not the tuck shop

where your grubby little mitt reaches out for a sticky bun. As to the

herbert who wants to turn his back then goodbye. You won''t be

missed.[/quote]

Who are you, Ralph? Honestly? I mean, who are you to question my

integrity? Your whole purpose on these boards seems to be to play

devil''s advocate, and if you cannot accept that, every now and again, a

supporter may suffer a crisis of faith, then you yourself should look

into the mirror and feel shame.

Every supporter of this club is entitled to their opinion, and until

you can realise that, then you''ll never be what I would consider to be

a "man".

In my opinion, you''re no better than a Binner.

It definately feels like NCFC is concerned about the books and not wantng to gamble a shed load of cash on transfers knowing there''s always the risk us not getting promoted and then being stuck in all sorts of financial trouble with no parachute payments and an inflated wage bill. I had a feeling we wouldn''t be signing jack and I''m really disappointed that Leon has gone especially  now we have zero in the way of back up for earnie. He would have had games this campaign and we desperately needed him to stay. The only consolation is that 1mil is good cash. I''m guessing that if it looks as though promotion is on come January then the board will be ready to gamble and bring in some players to help us push on. The only thing to do is to support the team - cos the''re playing some blinding stuff at the moment. And all pray for no injuries. Bring it on.

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]Whose asking you to feel sorry for them then ? The bloke has been brutally honest and told it how it is. As to this plan xyz I''m sure it might work out when there''s a shortage in the sweet shop but committing two million is a bit different. How on earth could the medical and paperwork and negotiations been carried out that quickly. Clubs have to be approached, it is not the tuck shop where your grubby little mitt reaches out for a sticky bun. As to the herbert who wants to turn his back then goodbye. You won''t be missed.[/quote]

shortage!!!!   I have seen no end of strikers move clubs - many at reasonable fees!!!

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]Whose asking you to feel sorry for them then ? The bloke has been brutally honest and told it how it is.

As to this plan xyz I''m sure it might work out when there''s a shortage in the sweet shop but committing two million is a bit different.

How on earth could the medical and paperwork and negotiations been carried out that quickly. Clubs have to be approached, it is not the tuck shop where your grubby little mitt reaches out for a sticky bun.

As to the herbert who wants to turn his back then goodbye. You won''t be missed.[/quote]

Thing is tho ralph what I can''t understand is that Wigan managed to sign Cotterill all in the space of a day - the lad even left his National squad to go n visit Jewell and have a medical for goodness sake! We''d already been in touch about Mcleod and I''m sure we could have organised thins in order to sign him if the club had been quick off their feet.

I don''t know what Leon''s ''personal'' reasons were but they must have been severe enough for him to go to a dive like Coventry and turn down regular first team football with us. Leon was gonna be fully involved in this season.

Not sure if we were that interested in McLeod. It would have smacked of panic buying. Thankfully the club is a bit more levelled headed that the chicken hearted backsliders who have been a whoopin'' and a hollerin'' on here.

We are no worse than this morning. McKenzie has gone. We got far more money that ever anyone could have dreamed off given the situation. I don''t know what the full story is but I''m sure bits and pieces will leak out.

Unfortunately the forum has been swamped with those who appear to hate the club so rational debate is at a premium. It''s a massive kick in the teeth to have lost out on Cotterill. He musty have been some prospect to have warranted that kind of money. Does show that the club is thinking in the right direction and will certainly have the money to bring in the right loanees as well as give that extra shove come January.

As to me I''m enjoying the club sat in second place and looking forward to kicking off the Livermore out campaign .. or is it the Foley out campaign ?

Odd thing being a supporter. You tend to enjoy success and endure the rough times. Now where''s my crayons and carboard box ?

Why are so many people treating this like the end of the world! So, we didn''t get anyone in and Leon left....big deal. It wasn''t so long ago when most people were calling for the youngsters to have a shot, well, now they have the chance whether we like it or not. January isn''t so far away and the club can take stock and go again. Loans will probably come in after a week or so, to provide cover, now that Prem clubs know who they have. Personally I applaud Doncaster, who needn''t have let anyone know what happened, for his openness. Let''s take what we got, get behind the team , and carry on till January.

The speculation I have heard surrounding Leon McKenzie, and I stress it is only speculation, is that he left due to reasons surrounding the events of the past couple of years off the pitch.

In other words as much as anything else he wants a fresh start.

As for CJF saying other strikers have moved for reasonable amounts - there are few that I would want to be honest. Connolly from Wigan on a free would have been worth the gamble, can''t believe he wouldnt have chosen us over Sunderland! Other than that are there really any other strikers out there that have moved that are good enough for City?

"Thing is tho ralph what I can''t understand is that Wigan managed to sign Cotterill all in the space of a day - the lad even left his National squad to go n visit Jewell and have a medical for goodness sake! We''d already been in touch about Mcleod and I''m sure we could have organised thins in order to sign him if the club had been quick off their feet. " - G*

Lots of other clubs managed to sign players quickly, thing is, if Wigan timed it right there is nothing we could have done!  I don''t think you can sit here and say the club messed up the transfer window, if we couldn''t get the players we wanted for sensible prices then I''d rather wait till the window!  Whats the point in gambling our cash on signings we might not even want?  The criticism last season of Worthy that was he panicked and signed crap, and now we haven''t signed anyone, its the other way round?!

McKenzie wanted to go and it was clear he was going, I''m just glad we managed to get £1m for him really!

OTBC!

Chunky

i''ve got no sympathy whatsoever.

is that it? one player - on the last day - who most of us had never heard of before? One egg. One empty basket.

we are at least 5 players down on last season and are left with a pitiful squad consisting of a first choice XI and what else? Fleming and Hughes (we must be the envy of our rivals!), Thorne & MLJ (will they ever play?) and a handful of unproven youngsters (apart from hendo who''s already poven he''s not good enough).

Forgetting the boards creative accountancy (halve all the transfer income and double the expenditure) and opinions on ''silly amounts'' (it works both ways as we have seen).

Frankly, adjectives fail me. Inept? Tight? Beneath contempt?

prudence with ambition? My *arse!  More like frugality with ambition to stay in the championship.

p.s. never mind Neil. At the end of the season you''ll be able strip the remaining assets from our playing squad. See where Ipswich are now - that''s where we''ll be in 2 years time. I bet you can''t wait.

Sorry Blah / Ralph etc - this is total incompetence in my eyes. Prudence with ambition - my a$*e !!

Why on earth with one of the smallest squads in the division (despite the fact we were in the Premier Division 2 seasons ago) were we looking to close one (yes one) deal on the last day of the transfer window - the fact we didn''t get Cotterill is irrelevant to a certain extent - we should have have other targets ?? - do you think Halford, Brooker, Mcleod would have cost more than £2m ?

So we lose Mckenzie - no great disappointment there and to get £1m for him is a bonus - but to get no-one in to replace him in as said above an already waffer thin squad is incompetence.

Lets not all get hung up on the last day transfer stuff - its the financial mismanagement of this club since relegation that has put us in the position we are now.

So what will we do now - waste our scarce money on loans signings who will in all probability go back at the end of there loan period - still leaving us with an incredibly thin squad at the end. We needed permanent signings and 3 or 4 of them - but we got no -one in fact - one more out - Incredible.

OK we''ve have had a fantastic start to the season but what will happen when the inevitable injuries/suspensions etc happen - we will drop down the league like a stone..

And what will happen when we don''t get promotion this season (which is more more likely than not) - if we have no money this year, think what it will be like next year. OK we will have the money from the inevitable sale of Earnshaw (Perhaps Safri, Croft, Shackell & Etuhu - if he keeps playing the way he is at the moment) - but we will have no parachute payments & if the debt went up whilst we were in the Premier you can''t see much of the transfer cash being made available to strengthen the squad then.

Those of you calling for the youngers to be given a chance - well you won;t have to wait too long because that all we will have next season..

So sorry Doncaster - don''t come out with all this rubbish about we were trying etc etc - we should never have been in that position in the first place... 

Bring it on Blah / Ralph etc ...

I can''t help thinking that some of you are getting a bit too panicky about all this.  We still have options up front - WLY will score if he plays as a striker and Ryan Jarvis must be considered good enough (if not why is he still at the club?).  Thorne was rubbish on last seasons appearances, but he has done ok previously in his career.  Just look at Etuhu as an example of how players form can change.

Granted, if injuries and suspensions build up and we continue to fail to secure more players then our season will probably go downhill rapidly, but there is only a week before we can pick up loan players.  I''m sure you don''t need reminding what time of the season Huckerby, Crouch and Harper were brought in on loan.

Don''t get too down and frustrated about things, lots can happen yet.