Sign in to follow this  
Honest Joe

I was right to back Worthy wasn't I?

I posted during the summer that I was looking forward to the new season starting with Worthy at the helm and at the time I was knocked down by everyone saying Worthy should go, but I was right all along wasn''t I as he''s got us back on track and we are winning again every week. I am so pleased to be proved correct as he has been a good leader in the past getting us into the premier league and buying good players such as Hucks and Dean Ashton (sold but a good bit of business with a decent profit) and more recently Earnshaw. I think the man is a genious and I look forward to the rest of the season with him as our favoured leader.I must be right even 1st Wizard has come round to my way of thinking despite being of the opposite view during the summer.

Because I was right in thinking that the same set of player could deliver so much more than we saw last season?

Who cares which is right - we are seeing good football using players strengths; we shoudl revel in that rather than trying to claim a victory when we are all winners (injuries pending of course [;)]) 

I think if I was you Joe, i''d have saved this post for december! We''ve only played 5 Games, there''s still 41 left to go! I admit I''m very happy with the start of the season but I think it''s hugely down to the appointment of Hunter, Hucks said it himself, Hunter has lifted the team. If we didn''t have Hunter and still has Foley, I think we wouldn''t be in the position we are now!

I''m not having a go at worthy, if he carries on winning then i''ll be happy to see him stay, but I just think it''s a bit early to crack open the Champagne!

When it''s four games from the end of the season and we''re guaranteed promotion - then you can shoot your mouth off.

Most sensible people will wait until we''re without Huckerby or Croft or Safri or Earnshaw for a few weeks (due to injury / suspensions / Ramadan) before they take a measured look at the League table. Then the folly of having a painfully thin squad will kick in.

Yes, we are doing well but as has already been said, we''re only 5 games into the season. Once we get injuries & suspensions we''ll start losing points due to poor or no cover... We''ll see for sure then who is still backing Worthy!!

Just bumped up a similar post on the subject by me written in March or so.

But as I wrote in the update, its only five games. Against four poor teams, and one good one (Who we lost too)

Im optimistic about the season, and glad we are doing well. But lets keep our feet on the ground for now...

[quote user="Honest Joe"]I posted during the summer that I was looking forward to the new season starting with Worthy at the helm and at the time I was knocked down by everyone saying Worthy should go, but I was right all along wasn''t I as he''s got us back on track and we are winning again every week. I am so pleased to be proved correct as he has been a good leader in the past getting us into the premier league and buying good players such as Hucks and Dean Ashton (sold but a good bit of business with a decent profit) and more recently Earnshaw. I think the man is a genious and I look forward to the rest of the season with him as our favoured leader.

I must be right even 1st Wizard has come round to my way of thinking despite being of the opposite view during the summer.
[/quote]

Of  course you are right Joe, its taken me a long time to see the light, but others will come round to your way of thinking on a weekly basis, as City continue to win game after game.

Its just a bloody shame that the board doesn''t seem to share your confidence in Nigel!.

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

When it''s four games from the end of the season and we''re guaranteed promotion - then you can shoot your mouth off.

Most sensible people will wait until we''re without Huckerby or Croft or Safri or Earnshaw for a few weeks (due to injury / suspensions / Ramadan) before they take a measured look at the League table. Then the folly of having a painfully thin squad will kick in.

[/quote]

OK Ramadan is a given but wouldn''t it be better to wait until we''re without Huckerby, Croft or Earnshaw for a few weeks (due to injury / suspensions) before shooting your mouth off?

Our away form is just as bad as last season 1 point from 6 , we needed a lucky comeback against Luton and we have not played any of the better teams this season  yet .Long long way to go and maybe Worthington is more of a pen pusher this season , Huckerby seemed to praise Hunter for the improvement not Worthless.

No away win in the league, no away goal in the league.  yes 3 points off the top!! but 3 points off 14th too.  The only play-off rival we have played against we lost to...

Most worrying a paper thin aquad.  If everybody stays fit we should be fine, a couple of injuries and it could all come undone.

Safri can play during Ramadan he justs needs to change his eating habits; not ideal for him as a player but it can be done.

The African Cup Of Nations is what really knackers us with Safri, along with niggling injuries.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

No away win in the league, no away goal in the league.  yes 3 points off the top!! but 3 points off 14th too.  The only play-off rival we have played against we lost to...

Most worrying a paper thin aquad.  If everybody stays fit we should be fine, a couple of injuries and it could all come undone.

[/quote]

I shouldn''t need to remind you CJF, that our defeat against Leeds, who we outplayed according to Neil Adams, was by one solitry and disputed penalty.

Why let truth get in the way of  good old fashioned biase?.

[quote user="NotWorthy"]Our away form is just as bad as last season 1 point from 6 , we needed a lucky comeback against Luton and we have not played any of the better teams this season  yet .Long long way to go and maybe Worthington is more of a pen pusher this season , Huckerby seemed to praise Hunter for the improvement not Worthless.[/quote]

Hang on there a moment - as many are quite rightly pointing out, we have only played 5 games so it is far too soon to start counting our chickens, but the same argument does work in reverse re: our away form.  As we have only played 2 games, how is it remotely fair to talk about "form", particularly as they were both matches we should have won?

Your second point re: Hucks comments was that they were general comments about how we were more organised at corners/freekicks now, so were about Coaching, and Hunter is the Coach.  Also, the more I read articles, the more I am annoyed that you are never told the question that is being answered, so how can you tell the context of what was being said?  What I mean is: if Hucks was asked "how do you think Hunter is doing" it is hardly surprising that his response was about Hunter!

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

I shouldn''t need to remind you CJF, that our defeat against Leeds, who we outplayed according to Neil Adams, was by one solitry and disputed penalty.

Why let truth get in the way of  good old fashioned biase?.

[/quote]

and our win against Luton was after they played us off the park for 55 minutes, then lost 3 players to injury and gifted us 2 goals...

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[quote user="NotWorthy"]Our away form is just as bad as last season 1 point from 6 , we needed a lucky comeback against Luton and we have not played any of the better teams this season  yet .Long long way to go and maybe Worthington is more of a pen pusher this season , Huckerby seemed to praise Hunter for the improvement not Worthless.[/quote]

Hang on there a moment - as many are quite rightly pointing out, we have only played 5 games so it is far too soon to start counting our chickens, but the same argument does work in reverse re: our away form.  As we have only played 2 games, how is it remotely fair to talk about "form", particularly as they were both matches we should have won?

Your second point re: Hucks comments was that they were general comments about how we were more organised at corners/freekicks now, so were about Coaching, and Hunter is the Coach.  Also, the more I read articles, the more I am annoyed that you are never told the question that is being answered, so how can you tell the context of what was being said?  What I mean is: if Hucks was asked "how do you think Hunter is doing" it is hardly surprising that his response was about Hunter!

[/quote]

why should we have ''won'' both matches??  An out of form leeds fought out a gritty one nil win and missed an absolute sitter in the 2nd half and Derby had the best chance when they hit the crossbar when gallacher flapped at a cross?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

why should we have ''won'' both matches??  An out of form leeds fought out a gritty one nil win and missed an absolute sitter in the 2nd half and Derby had the best chance when they hit the crossbar when gallacher flapped at a cross?

[/quote]

Why should we have won both matches?  Hmm. Perhaps it is possibly because we were the better side in both games??  I didn''t go to Leeds but we did hit the woodwork twice and they scored after a clumsy challenge gifted them a goal - for me that is unlucky, and all vs one of the title favourites.  

As far as our away form is concerned I am reasonably satisfied: if you''d have said we''d only let in 1 goal in those first two tricky games I''m sure most supporters would have settled for that.  At the end of the day it is the fact that we have left the shooting boots at home that we have only the one point, we clearly need to start to put the chances away. 

I guess we''ll have a better handle on our away form in the coming month, 4 or 6 pts from Cov/Southend would be ideal, but to continue the stingy defence and get something from each and I''d be happy enough. 

Ah, Squit, nice to see that the green and yellow tinted spectacles haven''t been discarded.      

Do you honestly think that we''ll go through the season without injuries or suspensions to key players?