Sign in to follow this  
The Judge

Prudence with Ambition..discuss

OK I have opinions on this strapline the club keep coming up with but I would like people to discuss in a civilised and rational way and highlight (with facts) where the "ambition" part of that statement has come to fruition over the past couple of seasons, bearing in mind we were in the Premier division 2 seasons ago.

To start the debate - I guess ultimately it all depends what the board of NCFC see as success - then any actions they may take should be made to achieve that success - that is their ambition. My view is that all their actions recently have pointed towards their definition being an average Championship side with maybe (luck being on our side) reaching the playoffs every now and again. Unfortunately their ambition/definition of success doesn''t match mine which is why I hold the views I do (obviously appreciate I can''t do anything about it and maybe it is pointless getting angry about) - but I would argue any supporter of a football team whether it be Norwich or any other would hold an ambition of getting promoted to the next division (in our case to the Premier League) otherwise what is the point. What frustrates me more than anything else at the moment is that we appear to have totally wasted the fantastic opportunity promotion to the Premier League with the financial rewards this brought us and now we find ourselves in a position where we have a squad smaller than most other teams in the same league and without the will or finances to significantly improve upon it. Too me the strapline should read "Prudence with Incompetence".

Interested in all other views....

On another thread I talked about the squad slimming down due to natural wastage - players leaving due to not getting first team games, or leaving for the Premiership.  We are only looking to add to the squad if the players coming in are better than those currently in the team, and naturally those players are in high demand. Regarding squad numbers, surely it''s better to slim down over this season in preparation for next than to have 30 squad members, 10 of which would be unhappy playing infrequently in the Pontins league, and for them to be then let go at the end of the season.  Saving money (if that is what we are doing, it appears that way) this season makes next season more comfortable, a steady descent rather than the crash landing Wolves have had.

In short, it''s the fans'' right to take an ambitious view of what is acheivable, but the clubs'' responsiblity to take a pragmatic one.  I believe that the coaching and playing staff want promotion, and so do the board.  But the board need to be convinced that the circumstances are right to do so (right player, right price), and for that they should be applauded, not labelled incompetent.

[quote user="charlies dad"] and not enough bloody ambition.[/quote]

From where I sit, I don''t see any ambition unless our ambition is to be the richest Club in the Conference.

Prudence with Ambition is all very good as long as its shared out equally among the playing staff, backroom staff, medical and fitness staff and the academy staff. 

Presently our playing staff is at the bare minimum required for a club of our size this is not a sign of ambition on the pitch. As good as they are at this moment in time a severe lack of numbers seriously decreases our goal of promotion.

The backroom staff are important as they make things tick along behind the scenes their work often goes unseen but without them all kinds of shananigans and mayhem would ensue. i.e controlling players ego''s and temperaments and guiding players off the pitch.

So far so good for the start of this season as regards injuries but as seen last year slight and major injuries and general lack of fitness among the playing staff can have a detrimental effect on and off the pitch this can cast a shadow over the team and inhibert their style of play. So these medical and fitness guys deserve most the plaudits.

Not allowing our young academy players the chance to highlight their talents in the 1st team reguarly enough shows a lack of prudence when we are struggling to entise anyone outside this football club to join us. True there are some who don''t make the grade but at least give them a reasonable chance otherwise what''s the point for guys like Ricky Martin supervising their coaching and watching them progress through the ranks hopefully.

to me the board have shown a defeatist attitude....they have the leon and greeno money, but they for what ever reason havent spent it, if we are in the running in jan they will, i''m sure, but if we are notr then they are merely safeguarding against 50% of the loss of parachute payments. I''m afraid it''s the same legacy that saw us relegated...spend when it''s too late, but dont spend too much

Prudence with ambition..........discuss..........ting.

Mr Doncaster''s feuilleton explanation regarding the nearly/non purchase of an 18 year old unproven player - did make me laugh.

The phrase sucks , I bet  the board are regretting   ever coming up with it  !   were they reading some of Gordon Brown`s  old speeches ?   where he drones  on for hours .....    your average football fan don`t  want to hear stuff like that  !     sends out all the wrong  messages  .

How about  , " Bags of ambition , but lets not do a leeds ! "     fans can relate to that ......

Anyway  , lets be real , no club  would set out to   jog along  in mid table  Champ   , when the lure of the big time  is beckoning  !  big money , big gates ,  all the perks   of being  at the top  ,  our club has to be  careful  with the cash  , but I don`t think they want to commit suicide !! 

Ambition , what ambition , trying to go up without spending anything , its all going to go wrong .

Prudence with Ambition means trying to do things on the cheap... NCFC and New Labour go hand in hand. Same old spin, same old bull.

With New Labour it means: taxing you heavily, screwing your pension fund, taking your home to pay for your care and squandering all your money on various things including politically correct, nannying mirco-managing, interfering, centralised quangos and the non-jobs that go with them.....NCFC don''t deserve to be in the same sentence.

I think the club has made a rod for its own back with the statement "Prudence with Ambition". It was not that long ago we were getting the statements "onwards and upwards" etc, following our promotion to the Premiership. To be brutally harsh about it given, the financial clout (or lack of it) that we have then the best we can hope for is being a half decent Championship side who every now and again flirts with the play offs/promotion. I agree with what Sons of Boadicea says about the Board hoping we get through to January without any injuries and still being in contention is as big a gamble as bringing in two or three players during the transfer window, to use his/her analogy I fear it is going to be more "fish and chips" than "steak" - I really hope I am wrong