Sign in to follow this  
KidCanary

The forgotten man - Thorne

I''m a little puzzled on the position of Thorne.  Would be nice to know officially what Nige''s view is on this player.  I take it he doesnt see the fella as a viable striker see he is never mentioned and we are searching for another target man, I wondered if this is purely down to the fact he is injured alot or some other matter.If we dont see him as a viable striker im not sure why we havent in the past placed him on the transfer list (probably not the best idea in light of our squad size at the moment).I''m unsure about this guy, he has played alongside Earnie before and is obviously happy as a squad player, he''s banged them in in the past for Cardiff at this level.  I dont know, maybe if he can get a run together injury free he could turn out like some of our other players who were rather lack lustre last season?Your thoughts?

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]And yet on another thread you are advocating sigining a striker no-one else wants who is OLDER than Thorne........do you not see the irony in that?[/quote]I take it that was aimed at ''if your rubbish..''?

the idea that you can compare Sutton (who has scored goals at the highest level) and is free compared with journeyman Thorne, who has scored 1 goal for us and looked poor in every 1 of his limited minutes for us is quite frankly laughable....being over the hill is not simply about age...Thorne never had that much ability to lose in my opinion

I don''t see Thorne starting while we are playing the present system but I would like to see a fit Peter Thorne on the bench now McKenzie is gone. To be fair to him he has been injured a lot since he came here, could be he is over the hill but at times last season I saw good things from him! Away at Plymouth he did more in ten minutes than Ashton did all game and nearly won the match for us!

Perhaps Thorne needs the right foil alongside him... At Cardiff him and Earnie managed 30 goals each a season.... Id like to see the 2 of them together upfront for us... just to see how it goes.

jas :)

Thorne always seemed a good player until he came here but has looked anonymous.  I''m still none the wiser as to what his main strength is because he never seems involved the game.  Worthy soon ditched him towards the end of last season so one wonders whether he will figure in the manager''s plan even if fit.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]My real concern is that ''sick note'' is on a wage that could pay for a loan striker.[/quote]

Not having a go at Worthy are you Wiz????? [:D]

This man came here with the wrong attitude from the off. He saw himself as a back up to Ashton, a squad player, he never had ambition to push to be number 1. Compare him to Fleming who is still pushing hard to unseat a defender as he wants to play.

[quote user="Ramrod"]This man came here with the wrong attitude from the off. He saw himself as a back up to Ashton, a squad player, he never had ambition to push to be number 1. Compare him to Fleming who is still pushing hard to unseat a defender as he wants to play.[/quote]

Thats a very good point, I have often wondered how many players are happy to be squad players and spend a matchdays on the bench. If you have a larger squad they don''t even make the bench! Many don''t seem to care until the last year of their contract. Craig Fleming is a great example of a player who still has ambition, this guy took a lot of stick when we were in the premiership but is still here impressing the fans!

If Thorne is so awful why did Worthington sign him?

Perhaps given a chance this season he will turn over a new leaf like some others?

OTBC.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Perhaps given a chance this season he will turn over a new leaf like some others?

OTBC.

[/quote]

You''d have to ask Worthy that!

But to be fair to the lad he may have rejuvenated himself over the summer like Etuhu and Colin have done, but until he gets a run in the team we won''t know, will we?

I don''t think Thorne is a forgotten man. That would mean he had to have done something in the past to be remembered for. For us to then forget.

The Rubbish man - Thorne

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC.

[/quote]

We had a similat thread a few weeks ago and someone posted  a link showing that several clubs were supposed to be interested in Thorne last year before he came to Norwich, particularly Sheff Utd. I think that it is just a case that we have not seen the best of him (and may never do).

He does, however, have a pretty solid track record at this level and at the time seemed a reasonable aquisition for a free. It just hasn''t worked out that''s all ... it happens sometimes.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]I don''t think Thorne is a forgotten man. That would mean he had to have done something in the past to be remembered for. For us to then forget. The Rubbish man - Thorne[/quote]

But he did things to be remembered for by Cardiff. The trick is to get him to do it for us. Give him a chance to turn over that new leaf like Etuhu, Colin and Robinson , I say. We might just be pleasantly surprised.

OTBC.