Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Southall claims Earnie "not good enough for the top level"

at half time in the match today Neville Southall and Lee Dixon spent time discussing Earnshaw. They said that he wasnt a good enough finisher for world football and not good enough for the top.

Southall went on to say that Earnies "current level" is about right for him and that aginst worse teams he will score goals, its against the quality that he will get found out.

Thoughts anyone?

Im waiting to see us against the likes Birmingham i must say, just to see if they do have Earnies number. Lets face it he was sold by a permiership club to us (A mid table championship side at the time) is t6here some truth to "fat Nev''s" claims?

jas :)

I agree to some degree. But it is to what degree you take it to. Against Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool he will struggle to be a regular scorer but who doesn''t that’s why those teams spend £20m+ on strikers. Against team like Bolton, Charlton and just about the rest of the premiership he will get goals. He is a goal scorer we have seen that the boy knows where the back of the onion net is. As for big nev and Dixon he''ll score more than them 2 ever did. No seriously he was playing against brazil for Christ sake. He''s a good striker he''s not Henry but that why he''s playing for us. I''d say he''s as good as they get in our league and that he can do a job in the prem.

Southall is a man who became famous for looking like a fat bloke from the crowd who''d donned a goalies shirt and snuck on the pitch.I really don''t think he should be taken seriously.

You look at the quotes from Lineker and Lawrenson on Crouch and Hargreaves. Pundits are not gods, they said they were awful, Lineker said Hargreaves was his "main complaint" about the england squad. Weren''t all that keen on crouch either, now they''re sining their praises. Both forwards tonight were current or ex city players, another ex city forward, all be it on loan, scored two the other day...Another ex would be in the england squad if not for injury. Another certain welsh player didn''t do all that bad for club and country ;) I''m not all that worried about the potential of our strikers. I think their records speak for themselves. And the man in question, his record speask for itself too. He''s a class player, playing for a class team. He''s got goals in him, at all levels. I know he''s not exactly brazil level. But no one in the chamionship is. Earnie is a class striker and I wouldn''t choose many over him, not at this level. Our team is more suited to someone like Ashton in our team, size issues etc. But would anyone else take someone else in the chamionships front line? Our front three are top class. And destined to get goals in this division. I''m not saying I think Earnshaw is god or anything, and no, he probably wouldn''t get into many international sides above the level of his. But Wales? He''s more than capable.

If that''s the collective wisdom of the football "experts" then I''m more than happy. He''ll do for us, and if everyone thinks he''s only a Championship player then maybe they''ll leave him the hell alone whilst he whacks in 30 goals this season!

Let''s be honest, Earnshaw will never be a "top" player but he will be close.  I think he would/will/did hold his own in the Premiership - his record for West Brom suggests this and is quite impressive when you realise a lot of those games were from the bench.

Sometimes his finishing is clinical and other times it is wayward but he will score goals given chances.  I think what I like most about Earnie is that if he misses a couple of chances but it does not dent his confidence at all, he will be back in there and probably scoring next time round.

Lets hope that Worthy can use these comments to inspire Earnie to bang in a bucket load this season and help him prove them wrong next season!

If people want to criticise earnie then let them, it''ll only serves to fire him, I already think he plays like a player who has something to prove and that is only serving to help us.

Personally if I was a welsh fan I''d rather have had earnie at the end of those chances that bellamy had.

[quote user="Billy Bovine"]He speaketh out of his fat behind. How can you take somebody who looks like a grossly overweight dustman seriously?[/quote]

Sadly, we have John Prescott as Deputy Prime Minister.

I believe that Mr. Southall''s view of the game was however obscured by the gigantic pie he has clearly been eating non-stop since 1985...  

This is from a man who said ''to be fair'' in every sentance! Earnshaw isn''t top top quality but then we''re not a top top quality team. He''s a good goalscorer who would not need to be replaced if we got back to the Premiership.

to be fair to big fat Nev, he has always looked like a big lardy binman but he was a half decent, if a little scruffy, keeper.

[quote user="Marty"]to be fair to big fat Nev, he has always looked like a big lardy binman but he was a half decent, if a little scruffy, keeper.[/quote]

The main reason that Everton let in so few goals when he was playing was because he''d take half an hour out of the game by taking the ball for a stroll before getting up the energy to hoof it into play. 

Nor is Southall good enough for the top level, that''s why he is only dragged out for such Mickey Mouse games.

Somewhere way back his great grandmother sung a couple of choruses of Men of Harlech and that''s allowed Billy Bunter to be wedged in between the sticks for the Taffs.

If he was any reasoned authority he would be doing a decent job within the game not testing the furniture to the stress point at some far flung corner of the isle.

Lee dixon also questioned Leons Attitude citing it as the reason he was sold by the baggies...

i remmeber mentioning that at the time we signed him... although as he is older now im sure he has matured with age

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Lee dixon also questioned Leons Attitude citing it as the reason he was sold by the baggies...

i remmeber mentioning that at the time we signed him... although as he is older now im sure he has matured with age

[/quote]

Leons hey?

Its right though if he was a prem quality stricker he would have no problem scoring home or AWAY for us in this division would he?

dont get me wrong I think he could do a job in the prem but only to the same extent as Zamora or carlton cole

Earnie is a top class finisher, and he showed he could do it at the highest level, when it was his goals that kept WBA up the season they survived.  I am not sure if this is also true but I heard that he was the only player to score a hat trick in all the english leagues (inc premier league), the FA and League cup''s and also for his country??100% pure class!

Sadly, I found myself agreeing with the pundits about Earnie.

I''ve always thought that £3.5 million was a lot to have paid for the little fellah (it was probably even more than that, I suspect, with all the add-ons, as per Mr Doncaster''s recent article) - and Earnie does fluff an awful lot of opportunities.

Let''s put aside the Leeds game as an aberration. Me and my mates in the Jarrold stand do an unofficial count at the home games of the number of goals he''s scored compared to the number of reasonable chances he''s had (trying to be fair-minded).

We reckon he''s currently running at about 1 goal per 9 or 10 chances.  This is hardly spectacular for an out-and-out striker, even at Championship level. Put another way, it means that Hucks, Croft and others have to create approx 10 chances for him to score a goal. That''s a tall order for them - week in, week out - even in the Championship.

His first minute fluff against Barnsley was a classic example of Earnie at his worst (i.e. most frustrating).

He may well end up scoring 20 or so goals for us this season (and I hope he does) but, if we do go up, I have real doubts about whether he''ll be able to do the business for us in the Premiership.  The gulf between the 2 leagues is getting ever wider and, almost by definition, he won''t get half the chances to score he needs at present.

If he is to succeed, he needs to rack up his goal per chances ratio to something closer to 1 in 5 or 6. 

Mr Hunter - please help!!

i love earnshaw i think hes great. and i think wherever he goes he will also score hatfuls. But i dont think he will ever be top premiership or international player due to the chances he misses. i.e barnsly and brazil. it is so frustrating to see the chances he misses. the only true finisher in the english leagues is robbie fowler. earnshaw needs to bury the easy chances as well as the mediocre ones to create a real name for himself in world football or he will just be hovvering around in the middle close but not quite stage. but i do still love the guy EARNIE EARNIE EARNIE!

Gotta say that Bellamy did not look like he is worth 5mil pounds more than Earnshaw nor the class of a Liverpool striker. He still can''t time his runs properly, goes offside loads, can''t control the ball or get past players skillfully. He has pace yes and a good finish once in every 4 shots. Wow. He''s a Welsh, White Emile Heskey. Earnie was lively and attacking although he lost the ball a bit much,  but was good overall - expect him to be awsome on Saturday after this experience. The experience can only have helped Robinson too who looked solid mostly, slightly off the pace sometimes - but it is Brazil afterall.

Is it a problem what Southalls view is?    Earnie is scoring goals for us and looks like he will continue to do so which is what we need to get out of this league.

I think Southall is probably right (before the barnsley game he had had the most shots of any player in the champs (27 I think it was then), most off target too and just two goals, thats hardly clinical finishing is it?

If we get promoted is the time to worry - not before.  

I cannot see we would get a better goal scorere than him. He scores and misses his fair share BUT i reckon he makes more chances for himself than most players by being in the right place.

So maybe that gives him licence to miss more than most too!

Oh dear all the children dont like Southall knocking little ern so we get post after post of personal insults at somebody who was a class goalkeeper in his time . If Southall was wrong do you really believe Earnshaw would be playing for little old Norwich ? of course not if he was top class he would be at a decent Premiership club , Earnshaw could not cut the mustard at West Brom in the top flight and is now back to the level of football where he has had all his success . Good player YES , top class NO.

[quote user="NotWorthy"] If Southall was wrong do you really believe Earnshaw would be playing for little old Norwich ?[/quote]You might think of us that way, but the way I see it we''re punching slightly below our weight at the moment and should be a secure mid-table prem team within the next 4 or 5 years.Earnshaw wasn''t guilty of "not cutting it" in the Premiership at all, he scored plenty and only decided to move on after finding himself relegated to the role of a bit-part supersub under Robson (who I don''t rate)His goals did as much to keep the spawny baggies up as anyones.

[quote user="NotWorthy"]Oh dear all the children dont like Southall knocking little ern so we get post after post of personal insults at somebody who was a class goalkeeper in his time . If Southall was wrong do you really believe Earnshaw would be playing for little old Norwich ? of course not if he was top class he would be at a decent Premiership club , Earnshaw could not cut the mustard at West Brom in the top flight and is now back to the level of football where he has had all his success . Good player YES , top class NO.[/quote]

Guess you''ll be off to the WOTB site with all the grown-ups then ?

Well, one can hope...