Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

68 crosses in 5 matches

From the Actim Index story from club site :

http://www.canaries.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/FirstNewsDetail/0,,10355~891145,00.html

In the first 5 games, Huckerby has made 48 passes, completed 14 dribbles, 32 crosses and had 6 shots on target.

Croft is the only player in the Championship to beat Huckerby in the crossing stakes, making 36 crosses in total.

Does this mean that we need to bring in a tall man on loan, or Earnshaw to grow another couple of inches, to capitalise fully on crosses ?

How will opposition teams cope with our flank play ?  They know about Huckerby, will they give the make the same adjustments for Croft ?

Can we capitalise on any adjustments that teams might make to cope with Huckerby and Croft with attacking play from our central trio ?

If you were a manager about to play Norwich, how would you stop our wingers ?

Norwich will definatey need some variation although I can see nothing wrong with Doc going up front late in games.

Great stats but does this not emphasise even more how disappointing it is not to have obtained a target man. I don''t think goals are our midfield trio''s forte.

as can be seen from any prem match, and even the england match, quality crosses create goal scoring chances.  a pumped in cross akin from the ''gary neville'' school of crossing is never going to be threatening.  i''m pleased we''ve got two excellentand productive wingers playing for city at then present time. however, i''m concerned that city need to get better quality crosses in that earnie is capable of getting onto - on the floor for him to nip ahead of lumbering central defenders would suit.  also, when hucks/croft gets to the byeline, i''d like to see earnie making runs to the near post occasionally to provide an option there, surely he''s nippy enough to get ahead of the defender & turn the ball in.  if not, the space left behind him could be filled by an unrushing dicko for instance.  the supply of crosses is ample but sometimes the quality isn''t quite there and/or we don''t have enough personnel in the box to make the most of them.the two 2nd half crosses supplied by hucks against barnsley, one passed cleverly to croft at the far post that was begging to be dispatched past the keeper and duly was, and the precise pass onto the head of earnie who placed a classic header easily wide of the keeper into the corner of the net confirms imo that hucks is the leading goal creator at city.  he has the nouse to craft goals - i think croft has the potential and ability to learn his trade from hucks, but for me, his crossing is not quite there yet.  i''m sure it will improve throughout this season, and the goals he''s scored will also help to give him confidence as well no doubt. 

You can''t really make the same adjustment on both sides as was made for hux alone - entire back line drifting slightly to their right so hux has the right back and right-sided central defender to play against with the strikers up against 1.5 Central defenders and left back - as this leaves earnie free up the middle.If I was a manager playing norwich now i would tell my wide midfielders to drop back abit to help the full backs. (or actually me - try and score about 20 and forget the defence)

[quote user="7rew"]If I was a manager playing norwich now i would tell my wide midfielders to drop back abit to help the full backs. (or actually me - try and score about 20 and forget the defence)[/quote]Huckerby has been doing some good tracking back and support for Drury on occasions this season, but you can''t deny a player like that to do what he does best when the opportunity arises - if it means risking a little, so be it.Look at his performance against Barnsley, it was a real joy to watch the man doing what he does best.Now I know that was against 10 men and a hastily rearranged defence, but I''ve seen him do it against 11 men plenty of times too.On his day, as (I think) the Observer reported on the following Sunday, he is impossible to play against.Here''s hoping those legs hold out another 2 or 3 years yet.

[quote user="Northern Canary"]

Get Etuhu to get onto the end of these crosses and we will do well.

[/quote]i am thinking the same, he could be a great goalscoring midfielder if the crosses were pulled back into this path

[quote user="lucky green trainers"] a pumped in cross akin from the ''gary neville'' school of crossing is never going to be threatening. 

[/quote]

Whilst I''m not one of Gary Neville''s biggest fans I have to disagree with this comment about his crossing ability. If we had full-backs that could cross half as well as Neville, the world would be a much better place... [;)]

[quote user="Disco"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"] a pumped in cross akin from the ''gary neville'' school of crossing is never going to be threatening.  [/quote]

Whilst I''m not one of Gary Neville''s biggest fans I have to disagree with this comment about his crossing ability. If we had full-backs that could cross half as well as Neville, the world would be a much better place... [;)]

[/quote] r u getting confused with phil? agree he''s a decent crosser.  gary''s mostly are wide, high and aimless imo.