Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

This is why we should sign Sutton...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/5316016.stm

The fact that players can sign for you even though the transfer window is shut is one reason we can still snap up Chris Sutton.

If we do sign him on a pay-as-you-play basis, then what is the harm?

We''ve lost McKenzie and are clearly short up front. If Sutton plays and scores...great. If he''s crap and always injured, we don''t play him and we don''t pay him...what''s to loose, apart from his own pride?

And just how long is the Queue for Sutton, then?  Haven''t we seen the benefit so far of a settled Team - taking him on your terms could be disruptive and is a solution I would not personally welcome.

There is no proof that he would just "pay-to play".  His wages have been well outside of our wage structure, I believe that his quoted wage at Celtic could have been cut in half and he''d still be our highest paid player.  A lot of people on boards, or that run websites claim that he would sign on pay to play, but no-one has asked him.  And as the manager has said he''s not interested, that''s the end of it.

[quote user="Jack Flash"]

And just how long is the Queue for Sutton, then?  Haven''t we seen the benefit so far of a settled Team - taking him on your terms could be disruptive and is a solution I would not personally welcome.

[/quote]Yes its all very cosy for the moment and a settled team is nice, but what is your great plan if someone is injured? namely Earnshaw or one of many other players that have no decent replacment.

There is surely no reason why he wouldn''t sign on a pay as you play deal its not like he is doing anything else is it.

I cant see it anyway....

rumour has it diego tristan was spotted at colney

bout as much chance of that as us resigning Sutton

" If he''s on pay as you play it could be cheap, "

Why ? What would stop him from playing for who he liked when he liked ? His registration would be with us therefore he would expect to be paid for this. If not we could simply sign him not pay him but stop him playing for other''s.

What budget should we cut to find this absurdity ?

Reading idiot threads like this I do wonder if stupidity is contagious and maybe we should have somekind of fumigation on the suffolk border to stop it spreading up here.

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]

Reading idiot threads like this I do wonder if stupidity is contagious and maybe we should have somekind of fumigation on the suffolk border to stop it spreading up here.[/quote]See your being as nice as ever ralph...

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]" If he''s on pay as you play it could be cheap, " Why ? What would stop him from playing for who he liked when he liked ? His registration would be with us therefore he would expect to be paid for this.[/quote]

because on a pay as you play deal, you sign him on £0 a week basic wage and pay him and appearance fee.....thus securing his registration.........and unregistered players can''t play higher than the reserve anyways, like on a trial basis.

[quote]because on a pay as you play deal, you sign him on £0 a week basic wage and pay him and appearance fee.....thus securing his registration.........and unregistered players can''t play higher than the reserve anyways, like on a trial basis[/quote]

And as has already been said, what on earth makes you think Sutton or Worthington would agree to this ?

" you sign him on £0 a week basic wage "

So you will state categorically that there will be NO regular payments made, only an amount in relation to if he is playing a competitive match ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]because on a pay as you play deal, you sign him on £0 a week basic wage and pay him and appearance fee.....thus securing his registration.........and unregistered players can''t play higher than the reserve anyways, like on a trial basis[/quote]

And as has already been said, what on earth makes you think Sutton or Worthington would agree to this ?

[/quote]

Chris has made it very clear that he is happy to play on a pay as you play basis, ask anyone whos spoken to him lately, in fact I think Kathy confirmed this in another thread a couple of weeks ago.

I was a big fan of Sutton and sort of like the idea of him coming back. But if it is such a good deal, why has nobody else snapped him up?

Is he asking for a signing on fee/ agents fees etc that could make a "free" pay-as-you-play deal rather expensive? In any case, i don''t think that this has made any difference with the manager, who  just doesn''t fancy him.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

at what point did i say he had agreed to sign on a such a deal???, never, i just explained the basis of a pay as you play deal, i cant help it if you cant read or add what has been said before into my posts.....should you not agree then fine, but the sinple fact remains my explains is correct whether anyone agrees or not, Sutton or otherwise. i never said Worthington would agree, infact he has said he wouldn''t, but that doesn''t make my post any less correct.

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]" you sign him on £0 a week basic wage " So you will state categorically that there will be NO regular payments made, only an amount in relation to if he is playing a competitive match ?[/quote]

yes Ralph......hense, pay as you play, funny how that means you only get paid when you play isn''t it???. i don''t claim to be a contractual master but i do have the common sense to work out the meaning of pay as you play when the current system is based on a standard weekly wage + bonus''s. hardly rocket science is it. but clearly it''s over the head of some narrow minded people.

Still no clarification other than this meaningless gibberish of "pay to play".

A ridiculous belief that somebody signs a contract for a fixed period during which he cannot play/earn elsewhere without any guarantee of playing or earning any money at all.

Rather like asking a taxi to stand outside your gate on the premise you might want to use it at some undefined point in the future or not, meanwhile it must not ply it''s trade anywhere else.

I do wonder how close to suffolk some of those who post on here live.

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]" If he''s on pay as you play it could be cheap, " Why ? What would stop him from playing for who he liked when he liked ? His registration would be with us therefore he would expect to be paid for this. If not we could simply sign him not pay him but stop him playing for other''s. What budget should we cut to find this absurdity ? Reading idiot threads like this I do wonder if stupidity is contagious and maybe we should have somekind of fumigation on the suffolk border to stop it spreading up here.[/quote]

Ralph - All this just goes to show that you don''t know what your talking about. I suggest you toddle off back to www.twtd.co.uk from where you came!!!

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]Still no clarification other than this meaningless gibberish of "pay to play". A ridiculous belief that somebody signs a contract for a fixed period during which he cannot play/earn elsewhere without any guarantee of playing or earning any money at all. Rather like asking a taxi to stand outside your gate on the premise you might want to use it at some undefined point in the future or not, meanwhile it must not ply it''s trade anywhere else. I do wonder how close to suffolk some of those who post on here live.[/quote]

i have clarified it, the concept is very simple, the difficulty comes in getting someone to accept such a deal. and after all its not like Sutton needs the money and the only deal ANY club will offer him will be on a pay as you play basis. hes just too injury prone to make any other sort of deal viable. comparing such an example to a taxi is ridiculous, as you would say, your talking about comparing paying someone in the twilight of his career to do the job everynow and then when the money isn''t needed for servival...to playing with a taxi drivers lievlyhood. and for the record i dont'' live close to suffolk, i live in it. a quick glance to the left will show my location, but it seems your inability to take in any infomation that doesn''t fit with your line of thinking strikes again.

Blimey they are all popping out on this one. Shame non of them can actually clarify the position on this ''mythical'' pay as you play garbage.

Might I suggest if you wish to spout rubbish do at least check things out before you post up guff like this.

Merely repeating this nonsense like some well learned mantra doesn''t make it right.

So here goes, in easy language.

What length will the contract be ?

What is to stop the club from signing him then not playing him to keep him away from other club''s ?

If he is going to cost absolutely NOTHING why has he not been signed ?

Why have other club''s not taken up on this offer ?

And finally I captured the moon in a bucket last night, any offers ?

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]Blimey they are all popping out on this one. Shame non of them can actually clarify the position on this ''mythical'' pay as you play garbage. Might I suggest if you wish to spout rubbish do at least check things out before you post up guff like this. Merely repeating this nonsense like some well learned mantra doesn''t make it right. So here goes, in easy language. What length will the contract be ? What is to stop the club from signing him then not playing him to keep him away from other club''s ? If he is going to cost absolutely NOTHING why has he not been signed ? Why have other club''s not taken up on this offer ? And finally I captured the moon in a bucket last night, any offers ?[/quote]

What length will the contract be ? whatever is mutual decided.....like any other deal

What is to stop the club from signing him then not playing him to keep him away from other club''s ? the common sense of a player not to sign if he doesn''t think he''s going to play and the clubs have a shred of decency not to a treat someone in such a way.

If he is going to cost absolutely NOTHING why has he not been signed ? he would only cost absolutly nothing if he didn''t play....maybe he''s turned down deal with other clubs, maybe he hasn''t i don''t know.

Why have other club''s not taken up on this offer ? who said they haven''t tried???.

And finally I captured the moon in a bucket last night, any offers ? is it really made of cheese?.

[quote user="GreenoForEngland"]

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]Blimey they are all popping out on this one. Shame non of them can actually clarify the position on this ''mythical'' pay as you play garbage. Might I suggest if you wish to spout rubbish do at least check things out before you post up guff like this. Merely repeating this nonsense like some well learned mantra doesn''t make it right. So here goes, in easy language. What length will the contract be ? What is to stop the club from signing him then not playing him to keep him away from other club''s ? If he is going to cost absolutely NOTHING why has he not been signed ? Why have other club''s not taken up on this offer ? And finally I captured the moon in a bucket last night, any offers ?[/quote]

What length will the contract be ? whatever is mutual decided.....like any other deal

What is to stop the club from signing him then not playing him to keep him away from other club''s ? the common sense of a player not to sign if he doesn''t think he''s going to play and the clubs have a shred of decency not to a treat someone in such a way.

If he is going to cost absolutely NOTHING why has he not been signed ? he would only cost absolutly nothing if he didn''t play....maybe he''s turned down deal with other clubs, maybe he hasn''t i don''t know.

Why have other club''s not taken up on this offer ? who said they haven''t tried???.

And finally I captured the moon in a bucket last night, any offers ? is it really made of cheese?.

[/quote]

Well said GreenoForEngland, this thread has really lit up recently and caused a bit of a stir.

It does seem though that however badly some of us want Sutton to sign on a ''pay-as-you-play (if only to provide cover for Earnshaw and Thorne), Nigel Worthington will not do it.

It has been said before that Sutton would be too much of a threat to him, especially with a local hero returning. However, if Norwich continue playing the way they have Nigel won''t have anything to worry about. We are 2nd in the league after all.

to be honest im not sure if i want him to sign either, all im trying to do is explain the basis of such a deal and why it would be a viable idea when talking about Sutton for example, it just seems some people seem to thinks its not an option because Worthy doesn''t like it, the fact remains its an option until the day he signs for someone else, thats all im saying :-). thanks very much Canary Boy :-).

The "pay as you play" concept is not as simple as everybody seems to think it is. It will alomost certainly include agents fees as a sum and probably a fee to Sutton to sign.

If you think "frees" are really free, I would like to sell you life insurance. (p.s. If you still believe this, please pm me and I will arrange for a presentation of our policies where for a very small weekly fee you could get benefits worth millions of pounds!)

So you''ve not really answered any of the questions. Bit of waffle, plenty of bluff but nothing of any substantiation.

So let me put something of substance down. Sutton has NOT joined any other club despite all this blarney about so called pay as you play. You''ve no real idea what on earth this pay as you play thing is despite your wild speculation.

So here''s another couple of questions.

Can you say whether signing Chris Sutton will involve any signing fee or regular payments irrespective of appearances ?

Can you give any other example of tyhis farcical contract where NO other payments occur ?

You and I both know that you can''t. This is not about Chris Sutton playing for Norwich, merely yet another stick to have a go at the club with. You would have to be terminally stupid or from suffolk* to thing that such nonsense exists. No player would enter into such a contract without a gaurantee of payment and no club would take on such a burden with such a injury ridden old has been like Sutton.

Which when you look at it is where we are now.

* not mutually exclusive