Sign in to follow this  
Kathy

Plea to Nigel Worthington

Please Nigel. Put a decent side out Wednesday night. As one who has travelled many fruitless miles in this competition to places like Northampton and Brentford to name just two, and seen us just scrape through against teams like Chelmsford and MK Dons, I appeal to you to give the fans some value for their time and money. This club had a fine cup fighting tradition before you came and we are starved of cup success in recent years. And quite apart from thinking of the fans, from your point of view a cup run could bring in some much needed cash - perhaps the difference between signing a decent player or not signing him. And, at the end of the day, there is always that tantalising possiblity of a European place up for grabs. So please. Pretty please.

Does the Carling Cup still come with a place in Europe?

Expect to see Jarvis and Thorne upfront, Hughes and McVeigh in midfield and Fleming in defence...

I honestly wouldn''t bother to turn up, we''ve got better things to worry about than some mickey mouse cup that we won''t win anyway. My plea to Worthy is put out the youth and reserve team, we can''t risk any injuries to an already thin squad.

Cups are an unwelcome distraction to an already tiny squad and we will win neither again in my lifetime Kathy. Concentrate on the league! If the squad flies back from Torquay with Earnie and Hucks on crutches then we''re doomed!

I''d rather we didn''t play in this silly competition anyway - it''s very

rare that a team other than the top Prem teams ends up in the Final

anyway, and any cup run will just be a distraction and a drain on our

already thin squad.

Torquay is a long way to go for the Mickey Mouse Cup!

I personally think that the competition would be best served by losing it''s European place, and only open to league teams outside the Prem. That would make for a much better cup competition all round.

I''m obviously in the minority here. I respect your views of course but wonder if any of you are old enough to have experienced the thrill and excitement of going all the way. (to the final that is)

Going to wembley for the milk cup was one of my proudest days as a city supporter. Today i read on another thread that we should not bother with the mickey mouse cup. i can only assume that these posters are  the youth of today who follow the views of chelsea man utd and the likes who feel it is worthless. i can assure you it was not worthless 21 years ago, and a good cup run could be what we need. i for one do not believe that ncfc is above playing in this compitition.

I agree that we should be fielding a weakened team at Torquay.  I''d like to see how the reserve players deal with a league team, even if it''s a league 2 team. 

We''d have to get through to the 5th round in order to get close to selling out the ground for a home tie.  We could do without the extra games, and this cup isn''t a money-spinner.

Afraid I was only four at the time of our last Cup triumph and I know that the League Cup meant a lot more then than it does now, with prize money these days being mere peanuts in the grander scheme of things. I''d love to go to Cardiff again for a Cup Final but not if it''s at the expense of injuries to key players in our quest for the only prize that matters this season and that''s promotion.

[quote user="Kathy"]I''m obviously in the minority here. I respect your views of course but wonder if any of you are old enough to have experienced the thrill and excitement of going all the way. (to the final that is)[/quote]I''m sorry to say this but gone are the days when a lower clubs could win cups, I seriously doubt I will ever see us make a final or ever lift a cup other than a league trophy, thats just the unfortunate way football has gone. Anyway I''d much rather have us win the league again than any cup.

Well yes, of course, we are just kids with no experience in these

matters.  Our opinions are blighted by youthful arrogance and a

lack of maturity.  You''re right, winning the Milk Cup 21 years

ago, when I was only 3, is not something I remember first hand.

Still, it doesn''t detract from the fact that we''ve got a thin enough

squad as it is without losing players to injury, or simply wearing them

out, for the sake of a competition that we''ve got no chance of winning

anyway.  As Canary02 says, take out the Prem teams and it would be

a competition that we may get more excited about.  But it isn''t

like that, so....

Come on Hendo, make that right wing berth your own! Come on Thorne,

show us what you''re made of! Andy Hughes, be that midfield engine!

Darren, Robert, Lee, Youssef, Dickson... enjoy the rest! [;)]

[quote user="Death of Canaries"]Well yes, of course, we are just kids with no experience in these matters.  Our opinions are blighted by youthful arrogance and a lack of maturity.  You''re right, winning the Milk Cup 21 years ago, when I was only 3, is not something I remember first hand.
[/quote]

I''m sorry you took it that way it wasnt meant as an insult. I just want to try and explain how exciting a really good cup run can be and how it can be the difference between a forgettable and memorable season.

Hmm, not sure.  Second string would more or less look like.... not very inspiring..., but should, and I would hope be a match for a League 2 team...

Joe Lewis

Dury

Fleming

Shacks

Louis-Jean

McVeigh

Hughes

Spillane

? (not sure who would play left mid)

Henderson

Jarvis

Few bigger guns on the bench.

I would imagine Hendo will play up front that''s where Martin Hunter likes to play him in the U19 (or did), with Thorne unjured gives a chance for Jarvis to shine.....

"take out the prem teams and we may get excited". so do we not enter in the fa cup this year because it also has prem teams play in it, do we rest our overpaid players in the fa cup incase they get tired or injured and upset any promotion push. and is it worth getting excited about promotion because guess what death of canaries it would be full of prem teams.

how many people will still hold the opinion of the mickey mouse cup if and when we reach the quarter-final, i''ll bet there will be alot of support then and no asking for players to be rested

argh you might live to regret that pete, torquay are tenth in league two and not playing too bad, we should win, but this is norwich and the cups, the two go together like strawberries and shaving cream. Lets just try win every game,s urely a settled confident side is the key, were not chelsea or liverpool we can''t afford to be arrogant about games and with our squad as well. Few injuries then a rest few, but not changing the whole team a win is always better than a defeat.

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]We''ll be in the next round - Torquay are rubbish.[/quote]Don''t say that! You''ll jinx it!

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]Far too negative boys, you need to be more positive like me![/quote]Actually if we lose I think it''s a good sign, remember our championship winning season Northampton 1-0 Norwich

Its a Micky Mouse cup, and we should put out a team of fringe players and reserves. Earnie, Hucks and Croft should defo not play.

After all, we don''t want any injuries for the Barnsley game do we?.

The league simply must be our priority.

I think this is an ideal oppotunity for Joe Lewis to play at least half a game.

Mind you I said that last year in our meaningless last few games.

it is costing me £80 to fly to Torquay and another £70 for two nights in a hotel and that is without beer;food and entry to the game.I am going because it will be the 80 something league ground that i have seen Norwich play on.Now i am told not to bother by some nuggets on this website as it is only a Mickey mouse cup.Apparently we should not risk injuries as we have not a prayer of getting to the final when the Premiership big boys make their belated entry.Play the second string and concentrate on the league say some posts.What a load of old tosh because applying the logic that we will not win the competition what on earth is the point of getting promotion as sure as eggs are eggs we will never win the Premiership.Back in1993 were we ever destined to win the UEFA cup.Maybe we should never have bothered entering in the first place

[quote user="my other team is england"] it is costing me £80 to fly to Torquay and another £70 for two nights in a hotel and that is without beer;food and entry to the game.I am going because it will be the 80 something league ground that i have seen Norwich play on.Now i am told not to bother by some nuggets on this website as it is only a Mickey mouse cup.Apparently we should not risk injuries as we have not a prayer of getting to the final when the Premiership big boys make their belated entry.Play the second string and concentrate on the league say some posts.What a load of old tosh because applying the logic that we will not win the competition what on earth is the point of getting promotion as sure as eggs are eggs we will never win the Premiership.Back in1993 were we ever destined to win the UEFA cup.Maybe we should never have bothered entering in the first place
[/quote]

to be honest MOTIE, Neil Doncaster had stated to a fan a while back that Worthy doesnt care about cups.  Hence I don''t go to any cup matches anymore... Our record in cup competitions under Worthy is truely appalling.  The last I went to was a poor home game against poor opposition to introduce a friend to NCFC.  It was complete and Utter Bo****ks, I have not been since.  I have no plans to go.

Good on ya for the 80 something grounds!! A very impressive total!

" I have no plans to go. "

phew, there''s a relief as I shall be at Plainmoor. Looks like it might be raining though so I shall have to curtail the dip in the briney.

Adds another ground to the list as well.

Blah, wrote "I agree that we should be fielding a weakened team at Torquay.  I''d like to see how the reserve players deal with a league team, even if it''s a league 2 team. 

We''d have to get through to the 5th round in order to get close to selling out the ground for a home tie.  We could do without the extra games, and this cup isn''t a money-spinner.

I agree with that Blah, and to use some young players in there proper positions may spur them to believe in themselves as cup representatives of NCFC. The only thing it would be right to make sure that if they were doing well and won a couple of rounds, we would be wise to keep them in the competition even up the point of a final if were possible, what a boost to their little ego''s.  Headlines "reserves win the cup".

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]" I have no plans to go. " phew, there''s a relief as I shall be at Plainmoor. Looks like it might be raining though so I shall have to curtail the dip in the briney. Adds another ground to the list as well.[/quote]

Good on ya Ralph! I wish I had the money/time to be able to go to midweek away games like this.   Even with worthington''s ''don''t give a **** attitude. 

Having said that considering every cup match against a lower division team I have ever been to watch (bar Bradford, many many years ago) has been a load of old ****.  I would think that an away game would be more fun however than the dismal atmosphere at Carrow Road during these games.

Note to self: NEVER EVER AGAIN introduce a friend to NCFC in such a cup game.

I have to agree with Kathy that I''d like us to put a decent side out to progress and have a decent cup run. I''m not going to Torquay but I''ll feel sorry for the travelling fans if they have to fork out to see a mainly reserve team.

I  love the magic of the cup and the cash will come in handy too.