Sign in to follow this  
Slim

Thatcher/Mendes Incident

Can anyone who actually saw this believe that he did not receive a red card?

It was a disgraceful foul and one that he should be punished for. The FA are saying that the referee''s decision is final and that as he only received a yellow card, he can not be punished further.

Surely if the FA have the power to take red cards away, they should have the power to give players the equivalent of a red card after the game?

As Harry Redknapp stated, you get a yellow card for pulling on someone’s shirt or kicking the ball away, yet this was only a yellow card offence?

Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/5281686.stm

it was a disgracefull tackle (if you can call it that), it''s up there with the Schumacher (German keeper) challenge from years ago. I really hope there is some disciplinary action taken, this crazy rule of not being able to retrospectively react to something once a yellow card has been given is moronic!

Tell me about it! I am here nursing a broken nose from a similar incident 2weeks ago! Bloody kills!

The player again didnt even get booked/no free kick given and to top it off im out for 4-6 weeks!!

It is a joke that if a ref books a player they cant deal anymore pubishment! Another example of this was Figo''s headbutt in the world cup! Got a yellow so FIFA could not suspend him for the England match!!

The whole process needs to be looked at as it is one big bloody joke.

Agree 100% Slim

I was thinking that Traore got sent off on Saturday for 2 yellow cards, one where he had a case to say he touched the ball and the second for just putting his leg out to stop a quick free kick, did Traore put someone in hospital by doing this?  Another example last night, Walcott shot after hearing the whistle and gets booked, same punishment. Thatcher is a disgrace

As you state, the general rule is that if the referee took action at the time, the disciplinary panel can take no further action. However, Radio 5 reported that the FA are looking into making an exception in this instance or changing the rule completely in light of the incident.

It makes sense, because refs are not always going to see the full extent of the foul.

In retrospect the yellow card seems naive, but that''s hindsight for you.

Apparently the police have been called in.  They have no alternative but to investigate, because they have received complaints from members of the public. 

I am usually not at all in favour of police involvement in on-field incidents between players (the intended prosecution of Bowyer and Dyer for example I thought was a ridiculous waste of time), and I can''t stand the nanny state mentality.  

But there are times when the game needs a wake up call, and if police action means that this sort of thuggery is exposed and driven out of the game, it might be worthwhile.  Thatcher has form, and Mendes could have died. 

Oddly enough I used to work with Ben Thatcher''s uncle, a good humoured bloke from Hampshire who was proud of his nephew.  Wonder how he''s feeling now. 

It was a nasty challenge, and should have been a red card. I can only think that the ref wasn''t close enough to see Thatcher''s raised arm. As you say, it is daft that once the ref has dealt with the incident the FA can''t get involved. The refs have had a pretty bad start in the Premiership if you ask me.Incidentallly, Sky News are now reporting that the local police are looking this incident (although Sky aren''t exactly reliable).

It wasn''t a challenge, it was a premeditated act of extreme violence.As someone on another forum said, Duncan Ferguson did time for less than that.If theres any justice so will Thatcher.

Everyone says the police shouldn''t be involved but why should you get away with assault on a football pitch. The only way to stamp out this sort of behaviour is for someone to get prosecuted, If i had done the same thing on the street and caught on camera I would be doing 3 months! It isn''t his first offence either so the FAshould throw the book at him.

It also reinforces the case for video refereeing. The sooner the better in my book.