Sign in to follow this  
Northern Yella

Mid Table Finish

It is very obvious to me and many fans that we are never going to get in the playoffs this season, we are simply not good enough!

Look at a lot of the teams in the first division they all have better squads than us, can we really say we are better than any of West Brom, Reading, Sheff Utd, Sunderland, West Ham, Nottingham Forest, Cardiff or Wigan. Looking at Wigan putting in 2.25 million bids in for players we are just not on a level playing field.

If the board are happy for us to sit in mid table and wait for the young players to mature and challenge for that promotion spot than fine, but in the mean time we cannot expect a playoff spot!!!

We will never improve our away form until we bring in a quality striker and defender. Therefore, can we really judge Worthington under these circumstances?

Yes times have changed James but at that stage inthe season we did only look mid table fodder.

As the original poster noted we were going nowhere until we strengthened our squad - this post was just after the Forest defeat, we had 7 pts from 15 and had lost again in the worthington cup, Abbey was injured and neilsen was on his way back to denmark. And we were conceeding goals far too quickly to sustain any type of promotion push.

Just after this we signed Harper, Crouch and Hux and we all know what has happened since then!

Oh - we didnt sign a defender? I agreed with this post at the time as Malkay was looking very ropey but as I posted in late Oct/Nov Hux turned out to be the best defensive signing the club has ever made - his pace meant that our midfield no longer sat 5 yards from our own 18 yard box and that the opponents were less likely to attack in numbers as they tried to nullify Huxs'' threat - only Chambers has really had any success.. Our goals per game conceeded is the best for years - and it all ties in to the big three signings.

Finally I would like to thank Neilsen for following his wife home, and give a very big thank you to Colin and the blades for injuring Abbey - without those (for Zema in particular) disasterous events I am sure we would have had a far less enjoyable few months!

E I E I E I O...