Sign in to follow this  
KidCanary

Cut hughes some slack

Guys,I''m sure everyone is of the opinion that the team performed poorly (note i said then that this was down to poor pre season and pleny of injuries!), particularly our new signings.Now Hughes was one of these, although i did see him play against Reading at home and he wasnt too shabby.So if our other signings can have a good pre-season and through a prolonged run of games show to be quality players, why exactly cant he?He has taken more abuse than any of the famed three (Etuhu, Collins, Hughes) and this is because he was injured less and despite every one around him hiding, was putting himself about!I think people should get off the guys back, even when he does come into the side he will need a little time as he hasnt regular games, but i think he is more than capable of fufilling the role currently occupied by Robinson as and when we need him.So please, support a member of our very thin squad!Incidentally as to our chances, if we could peform some miracle and avoid injuries all season i.e. keep our same first 11, i think we will finish in the top 2, after that its going to be down to how our squad players (like hughes!) peform.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]The guy get paid thousands of pounds a week. He''s rubbish. Give him away[/quote]You seen his pay slip have you?This isnt directed at you but it does amaze me how many people state things as if they know them for fact.Would you have not said the same about Etuhu and Collins last year?  Hughes has played one match (out of position i might add) and we won, cant say fairer than that.

Hughes played plenty of games last season too - in and out of position - and we lost a large majority...

He is awful. The further away he stays from the starting 11, the better.

As a supporter who goes week in week out I personally think he is up there with the worst players ever to pull on the yellow shirt. As for his wage slip he will be on more a week than 80% of the fans are on a month thats a FACT.

[quote user="no1canary"]but it is fact isnt it? surely he''s not on less than 1k a week?[/quote]I would imagine so mate, i was merely pointing that know on here knows that for a fact.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]As a supporter who goes week in week out I personally think he is up there with the worst players ever to pull on the yellow shirt.[/quote]I disagree and i dont think he''s be given adequate chance to prove otherwise, as our squad is so small I''m going to get behind the player and give him the benefit of the doubt we cant afford any one not to be on their game and by booing/heckling him this will be the only outcome, remember most players under performed last year.[quote user="Hardhouse44"]As for his wage slip he will be on more a week than 80% of the fans are on a month thats a FACT.[/quote]definitely, but i dont see how this has any relevance to what we are talking about at all.

It''s also a sad fact that some people just need someone to pick on, generally there doesn''t need to be a reason for it.

Hence comments in recent weeks on Livermore, Hughes, McKenzie and Robinson.

I guess Worthington''s safe from criticism while we''re doing well, so we have to turn our attentions elsewhere ?

What is wrong with just supporting the team ?????

I felt the same about Hughes last season but I was just wondering - what if Miracle Man Martin Hunter has done some magic on him as he has on some of the other also-rans? perhaps we should give Hoozy  the benifit of an open mind for at least a couple more games

he has a lot to prove, if given the chance this season, he was our worst player last season, i dont think many will disagree.

he played aganst torquay last week but didnt really shine. not in the manner etuhu  has  this season.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Until Andy Hughes gets a run in his favoured position of central midfield its hard to judge. I reckon he is a good squad player who could do a good job as a "holding" midfield player. [/quote]And that''s the long and short of it.Basing an opinion on last seasons performances means nothing, as several players and the team as a whole have proved.I see no reason why Hughes can''t do a job for us as and when he''s called upon.

What is all this crap about not basing an opinion on last season. He was diabolical for the entire season. What else do people base thing on other than what they see. It''s not like he didn''t play many games. The guy isn''t a championship quality player as simple as that. We don''t hate the guy and booing players is despicable but he simply can''t compete at this level so why should he be paid by us to do/not do so. I can''t play football that championship level either but I''d like the cash and the life style. His ability mean he like me doesn''t deserve it. For good sake what is wrong with fans on here always saying everybody’s so wonderful all the time. The guys pants.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]The guys pants.[/quote]So was Colin last season according to you and your ilk. So was Etuhu, so was Robinson...hell, even Earnshaw and Huckerby came in for criticism from some our more rabid contributors. (ie, Hucks past it and Earnie not all that good)

Robinson still is pants. Colin is ok and Etuhu was lazy but always the player out of our midfield 3 we acquired destined to do the best if he got fit and going. He still has to do it week in week out before he gets my undying devotion. As for Huks and Earnie anybody that slagged them of must have seen different things to me. I say again Hughes is pants. It''s my opinion that''s all. Mind you doubt we''ve had all that many enquires about him over the last couple of weeks but you never know there is still a few hours to go and Man Utd haven''t signed anybody yet.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]What is all this crap about not basing an opinion on last season. He was diabolical for the entire season. What else do people base thing on other than what they see. It''s not like he didn''t play many games. The guy isn''t a championship quality player as simple as that. We don''t hate the guy and booing players is despicable but he simply can''t compete at this level so why should he be paid by us to do/not do so. I can''t play football that championship level either but I''d like the cash and the life style. His ability mean he like me doesn''t deserve it. For good sake what is wrong with fans on here always saying everybody’s so wonderful all the time. The guys pants.[/quote]

I have huge doubts about Worthy, I have been very critical about our midfield last season but I believe it''s possible at this level at least, that Martin Hunter might just get Hoozy up to speed, lets give him three games [but if we get to the prem let''s sell his sorry ass along with Worthy to Grimsby]