Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

NAME THAT TEAM - Coventry (a) 1980

I have 9 of them but am really struggling with the right back and 4 letter centre half.  Anyone got some clues???

I am bored with the signings bit and would like to dio something else - can anyone help before this bounces back to page 2 again!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I have 9 of them but am really struggling with the right back and 4 letter centre half.  Anyone got some clues???[/quote]

Zipper old mate.  I was at this game and it was a good day.  The team is actuallly a strong one which compares well with most other City sides despite the lack of stars.  Some clues as you do not want the answers.

Right back was a youngster who I think was the last of the Bournemouth purchases.  Never really made his mark in the first team and drifted away.   His name suggests he would have done well as a songbird like a Canary.

Centre back was more easily remembered as a right back who had a difficult time establishing himself because of his origins but was eventually a regular player on merit.  He failed to survive regime change predictably.

Does that help???

[quote user="Kenning"]Am I right in thinking Greg Downs got the winning goal?[/quote]

Yes a lovely long range cracker.   He scored a good one at Birmingham in 83.  Those were good days to be a City fan in the midlands!!

Cheers Cambs - got them both now;  probably wouldnt have got the right back without the clue but cant believe I didnt get the centre half;  both of them with a cherries connection if I am not mistaken.