Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

Why has Leon got a Hero Status among some fans?

Leon mckenzies hero like status around carrow Road is based on something that happened in December 2003, over 2 and a half years ago. Why, just because ''he scored against the scum...'' (that bloody song) years ago mean he is a superb player who we cannot do without. He scored v Man Utd as well but his goal record last year and for the prem season to be honest was quite frankly poor.

If you are going on his work rate which everyone loves, i ask Why isnt Andy Hughes a hero, when he plays he shouts, he claps and a runs about like a headless chicken. In fact very similar to Mckenzie. The reason why Hughes isnt a hero, because like mckenzie i''m sure he''s had 1 good game (leeds away maybe) is because he is poor, simply not good enough. Just like Mckenzie, so why the praise for Leon and the boos for hughes. Simple, 1 Good game V Ipswitch is more memorable than a midfielders contribution in 1 game.

So lets get out of thew past, look to the future and Leon i''m afraid shouldnt be part of it, especially now he wants to go!

Not really fair Matt.  Yes, the Ipswich game game him a head start but that''s no guarantee of ''legend'' status.   I can remember Carl Bradshaw getting the winner at Portman Road in 1994 and Andy Johnson pulling them apart at Carrow Road in 1996.  Didn''t make them heroes for life did it?

Leon was excellent in the promotion season and after a quiet start, really came into form during the latter part of the Premiership.  He played several games of that season up front on his own too.  Mackenzie and Hughes both give 100% but its the end product that matters.  Its just that Leon has delivered a lot more often than Hughes ever has.

Good luck to him if and when he goes.

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

Leon mckenzies hero like status around carrow Road is based on something that happened in December 2003, over 2 and a half years ago. Why, just because ''he scored against the scum...'' (that bloody song) years ago mean he is a superb player who we cannot do without. He scored v Man Utd as well but his goal record last year and for the prem season to be honest was quite frankly poor.

If you are going on his work rate which everyone loves, i ask Why isnt Andy Hughes a hero, when he plays he shouts, he claps and a runs about like a headless chicken. In fact very similar to Mckenzie. The reason why Hughes isnt a hero, because like mckenzie i''m sure he''s had 1 good game (leeds away maybe) is because he is poor, simply not good enough. Just like Mckenzie, so why the praise for Leon and the boos for hughes. Simple, 1 Good game V Ipswitch is more memorable than a midfielders contribution in 1 game.

So lets get out of thew past, look to the future and Leon i''m afraid shouldnt be part of it, especially now he wants to go!

[/quote]

I am totally with you on this one. It''s by no means Mckenzie''s talent as a football player why he is such a fan hero. I think he is shocking and have done for a while now. I can''t fault his work rate and I will give him all the praise e deserves for that but to be frank he has no composure in front of goal. He has never had an out standing goal record in his career. The man is supposed to be at his peak now and that makes me laugh even more..

I don''t believe he does have ''hero status''

I do believe he has the respect of most fans though.

He is hard working and has scored us some key goals without ever being prolific.

He does desrerve to be applauded and respected like any die hard player.

He may now feel it''s time to move on, the man is ambitious and clearly doesn''t feel he can get the minutes on the pitch he needs.

I don''t blame him for that, he want''s to play football. He is afterall a footballer.

Last time I looked his goal per game ratio was actually pretty good, and bear in mind that he scored regularly during our promotion year often coming off the bench to do so.

I think the real reason for his popularity os that when he is on he is like a terrier with opposition defenders. Leon will run and run and run harrying them all the way. That often results in them putting their goalie under pressure or snap passes into midfield when they just had to get the ball away. Leon chases lost causes and is genuinely our first line of defence, much more so than almost any other NCFC striker I have seen. That attitude and commitment wins over fans.

Apart from "those goals", I will always remember Leon''s great finish against Man Utd in April 2005 which was a truly rapturous moment and we really thought we could beat them and gave us hope of survival after all.

I will be sad to see him go, I disagree about his ability I think he can definitely do a job for us in this league.

We will get some indication of how good "the professionals" think he is by the clubs that try to sign him. Even if he is not formally listed, "want away" players become targets for managers.

I can''t imagine any premiership teams will chace him, nor any "top championship" ones. This just about says it to me. Great heart and effort, some useful goals - but not really a top class striker and unlikely to be first choice at any ambitious championship side.

to be fair i think mckenzie is a good player and has served norwich well even though he had his injury problems... i coompletwely undertsnad his decision to leave and he is not getting games which all players want... this does not mean he is a bad player it is just because him and earnshaw just do not fit together in the same team but as earnshaw is the better player we must keep with him.

in all honesty i feel that if mckenzie had stayed fit at the start of last season him and ashton could have carried on their good partnership and then perhaps ashton would have stayed longer... as it is that did not happen we brought in earny who has been outstanding for us and therefore mckenzie has been limited because of earnshaws quality and the fact they dont play that well together

i say good luck to him and thanks for all the good times!!!

I''ve looked back at the highlights I videoed in The Prem season and its amazing how many chances Leon missed early in matches with the score at 0 -0. Convert a few of those & we might have stayed up. Also his form at the beginning of last season before he got injured was really awful. A lot of running & two goals against the ponies doesn''t make him great. Like many players he''ll have good patches but won''t be consistent.

"his goal record last year and for the prem season to be honest was quite frankly poor."

if i remember rightly he was injured for the mojority of last season wasnt he?? yes, his goal scoring record wasnt the best but in the past he has stuck it out worked hard and probly got more assists than he has goals. i really rate the bloke and wish him all the best.

[quote user="sket"]

you seem very bitter, whats mckenzie ever done to you?????

[/quote]

Nothing serious.

Apart from tormenting me with his inability to take chances often enough. I am just fed up because  of the difference in 2 players with the same quality - ''work ethic'' are treated so differently. I am not bitter, jus explaining my feelings on the matter.

To be fair his goal record isnt as bad as i though, but thats because of the good start he had. I know he''s had bad luck with injury''s but his performance in front of goal in the last 2 years  has been poor and dare i say costly.

westinho, when you blame mckenzie for not scoring the chances in the prem do you also blame hux and ashton as they both missed their fair share as do all strikers! to say if he had scored more we would have stayed up is not true, you should blame green and the many defenders for conceding goals too and midfield for not setting them up. mckenzie is a hero to many because unlike a few others from the time he steps on the pitch to the time he comes off he gives 110% effort .

Should Lean leave it will be to a ~Championship side... it will be then that we relaise what we have lost.

He''s a great player!

jas :)