Sign in to follow this  
Steve Hopkins

Primus?

I know we go through this link about 2 or 3 times a season but surely now would be the best time to make a move. They have just signed Sol Campbell and are linked with Sylvan Distin and Ryan Nelsen. Another CD would push Primus down to about 5 or 6 in the pecking order at Pompey and for an absolutely class defender, surely he will be looking to move on.

Would be an awesome signing if you ask me. I live in Portsmouth myself and Primus is extremely popular with the fans here and for good reason. Solid, good pace, good in the air and a good personality. He is the type of player we should be looking to get into the club.

good call, not sure about where he got his pace from? but i would still like him.

I believe that we were fairly close to signing him in our Premiership season.  Then Portsmouth doubled his wages, so he stayed put.  If he was to come here, it would have to be for a wage drop, and it was reported at the time that he had very strong personal reasons not to move too.

He''s in his 30s now isn''t he ?  If he still has his legs, he would be good for us.

34, Old, We have tried and failed 3 times t sign him, he has said he doesnt want to come, so why would he change his mind?

jas :)

Are you having a laugh better than our current centre backs!!!! Shacks is one of the brightest centre defenders in the country, whist the Doc is getting better and better. The old reason to sign Old Man Primus would be so that he could keep flem company on the bench and reminisce about the 80s.

Come on man lets get with the present!!!!

Seems like we have been trying to sign him at the start of every season since about 1968, I didn''t think he was still involved in football, he must be about 63 by now surely?

Totally agree Jas - he refused to come here before so why should we ge through this yet again! Primus (from what I have seen of him) is an untidy, scuffling sort of defender who would add nothing to what we have + he''s too old anyway.

Primus is just old news now.  For me, he''s no better than Doc or Shack.  Flem is ample cover for both of them.  We are much better off concentrating on cover for Drury, cover for Croft and a big striker.

[quote user="Steve Hopkins"]Who would you keep? I think Primus is better than any of our current central defenders.[/quote]What are you on? I want some.

I agree it is A worry that should Shack''s or Doc''s were injured cover is limited to say the least but surely with the money coming in from the sale of Green, Davenport would be A great signing and make good competition for places.   

[quote user="jimmy500"]

What if Shackell or the Doc got injured!!  Primus would be excellent cover.....Big, strong and experienced at this and premiership level.

Would be a good signing I think...

[/quote]

Experianced at Prem level yes, but just to be picky he used to play for Brentford i think. so hasnt played in the championship much

jas :)

To everyone saying Doc and Flem are better than Primus then you obviously weren''t watching our season in the Premiership. They were turned inside out every week and quite frankly were the reason we went down. Primus on the other hand has been producing at Premiership level for a few years now. Everyone doubting his ability for us has obviously only watched him in highlights, yes he is prone to the odd mistake but the Championship would be good for him.

I agree with the guy who said Davenport though, shame we didnt have the cash to sign him before to be honest.

Dont think you was watching  last season in that case mate when the doc won player of the season and performed well every game, he has improved loads since the premiership. We also have shackle who is a bright, young prospect who is also doing very well in center of defence. However i do think that primus would me good cover but shorly his wages would be to high to use only as cover? we should look at bringing a youngster in, also another reason for not wanting him. Why waiste money on a player in his thirtys when you can get a good looking young prospect for the same pice.

Westinho

i remember primus keeping hucks quiet when pompy came down here in our champs winning season - he''s definetly got the pace - and i believe he was right back that night.  he''d defo be more solid than colin.