Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

who's up for an england style band playing at carra rd?

while watching the england friendly, i moaned out load about the brass band & drummer who seem to turn up and ruin my enjoyment of these national occasions.  am i the only one who finds renditions of ''the great escape'' ''dambusters'' etc. tedious whilst the monotonous drum only serves to do my head in.  after tolerating my mini-rant, the missus told me to belt up, suggesting to me it was only people enjoying themselves and that a band at carra rd would help to liven up the atmosphere!who''s right on this one?

Have to go with you on this one LGT - is truly annoying, even more so for the unfortunate ones that get sat next to the band. If we need a band to generate an atmosphere at Carrow Road then things really will have taken a turn for the worse.

Be about as welcome as a dose of crabs, its a northern thing isn''t it? Like for colliery bands with nowhere else to go now t''pit has shut down ;)

Would be grateful if we could get back to singing ''On the Ball City'', not this mechanical, cuckoo clock style chanting.

Removing the terraces has taken away all the atmosphere. Also obliges you to get out of your seat to use the toilet.

No.  There was a Carrow Road band about 10 years ago (i think) and it never caught on. Call me a grumpy traditionalist but I prefer the crowd to make their own noise and not be galvanised by tannoy music, annoying PA announcers and endless renditions of ''The Great Escape''.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]while watching the england friendly, i moaned out load about the brass band & drummer who seem to turn up and ruin my enjoyment of these national occasions.  am i the only one who finds renditions of ''the great escape'' ''dambusters'' etc. tedious whilst the monotonous drum only serves to do my head in. 

after tolerating my mini-rant, the missus told me to belt up, suggesting to me it was only people enjoying themselves and that a band at carra rd would help to liven up the atmosphere!

who''s right on this one?
[/quote]

You are!

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]while watching the england friendly, i moaned out load about the brass band & drummer who seem to turn up and ruin my enjoyment of these national occasions.  am i the only one who finds renditions of ''the great escape'' ''dambusters'' etc. tedious whilst the monotonous drum only serves to do my head in.  after tolerating my mini-rant, the missus told me to belt up, suggesting to me it was only people enjoying themselves and that a band at carra rd would help to liven up the atmosphere!who''s right on this one?[/quote]There''s no atmosphere in the river end or jarrold stand, you can put it there, might just get them going........but probably not

Yes the Pompey guy needs shooting fast.

I dont see a problem with a band scenario providing it is contained and seperate from the normal paying customer. How you get to that position I don''t know.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]

Yes the Pompey guy needs shooting fast.

I dont see a problem with a band scenario providing it is contained and seperate from the normal paying customer. How you get to that position I don''t know.

[/quote]Yes I agree with this I''d like to have a band but where to put it? what about in that cr@p hotel in the corner?

Whether going to England games or watching them on TV, the England "band" are an unwelcome intrusion.

Whats really annoying is that they get their tickets for free as well as help with expenses from the FA-check out Chris England''s book "No More Buddha, Only Football", he has a right go when he writes about this whilst at the 2002 World Cup.

Its not as if they actually play anything worthwhile or that creates an atmosphere-the theme from the Italian Job and the Great Escape, what has that to do with football and watching/supporting England? Yet there they were again last night, punchuating it with Rule bloody Britannia and the National Anthem, all very well if its Great Britain taking part, but has anyone told them that its actually England?

Tuneless, talentless, pointless. Forget enjoying the game if you have the misfortune to stand near them (as I have), trumpets and a bass drum going off behind you all through the game whilst they make in jokes and try to get things going, you''ll miss half the game and come out half deaf into the bargain.

Football crowds and support is about making a noise yourself, shouting, chanting, singing, not having a bunch of idiots trying to make out that they are, as they call themselves, "Englands Official Cheerleaders". Get rid.

Same goes for the Pompey buffoon with his bell. How come he can bring that into a match, if I tried to get into Carra with 4-5lbs of metal, I''d be turned away p.d.q. Is it because he''s a "character" and the "game needs people like him"-yes, the game needs him and the England "band" like it needs a healthy does of the Ebola virus-which is what I wish on him and them!

The band are awesome, what is wrong with you guys. The music is great for own identity, the songs mean something and adds passion to the game. If a band helps to inspire the team and gets the supporters singing then fantastic. What would happen if you took the samba out of Brazil, it''s their identity like the brass band is ours.

So why can''t they manage to play something INSPIRING?

"The Great Escape" and "The Italian Job"-whats the relevance?

Brazilian samba bands sure as hell don''t wheel out themes from best forgotten movies from decades ago!

Their repetiore is limited to say the least-lets see, lets start with "The Great Escape", move onto "The Italian Job", have a little "Rule Britannia/God Save The Queen" medly-then, mmmm, well, lets bash out "The Great Escape" again...and again...and again...because its all about England and her football team after all!

I''m not advocating a full Orchestra playing "Jerusalem" but you''d think that, in return for the freebies, the "band" might manage to cook up something original and relevant, as it is, they''ve had the same playlist for the last ten years or so, and I can''t see that changing for the next ten!

Not particularly bothered by the band, I think anyway of trying to improve the atmosphere is good for the game.

What I want to see are cheerleaders at the interval, sexy ladies in ultra tight and impossibly skimpy hotpants prancing around in the freezing cold / driving rain. I think we have tried this at a few games but normally it''s a handful of "talented" ladies and a few rhythm free tubbies in tight pants, actually come to think of it that is worth watching too! 

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

So why can''t they manage to play something INSPIRING?

"The Great Escape" and "The Italian Job"-whats the relevance?

Brazilian samba bands sure as hell don''t wheel out themes from best forgotten movies from decades ago!

Their repetiore is limited to say the least-lets see, lets start with "The Great Escape", move onto "The Italian Job", have a little "Rule Britannia/God Save The Queen" medly-then, mmmm, well, lets bash out "The Great Escape" again...and again...and again...because its all about England and her football team after all!

I''m not advocating a full Orchestra playing "Jerusalem" but you''d think that, in return for the freebies, the "band" might manage to cook up something original and relevant, as it is, they''ve had the same playlist for the last ten years or so, and I can''t see that changing for the next ten!

[/quote]

Your a hard man, a hard man to please.

I love the great escape, defo outs me in the mood to sing.

Agreed that the playlist could do with some updating then the same could be said of Coldplay. Another debate on other forums.

Yes, I don''t think argue with that, that would possible make some half times more entertaining that the other 90 mins!

I can just picture the lovely Norfolk ladies in their skimpy yellow hotpants with a matching green boobtubes. Back to work for me, must remove these rather pleasant images and immediately.

Let''s make this happen!

I was there last night (my 1st ever England game). The band is very annoying & didn''t do much to enhance the atmosphere.

The Greek fans on the other hand were excellent, even at 4 nil down. They were in the East stand above me & I nearly wanted to be Greek so I could join in with their singning. (Even though I didn''t understand a word of it!!)