Sign in to follow this  
GJD

Loyal and oldest fans?

I read the thread on fickle fans and thought I would change the question!

Far more interested in the following. So perhaps fellow supporters could enlighten me?

1 - Longerst serving Norwich City season ticket holder? Thats continuous seasons.

2 - When was your first game and who against? There must be someone out there who watched Norwich play at the old Nest in 1920! Maybe the Pink''un staff have that knowledge?

As an answer to my questions well they are as follows.

1 - Never held a season ticket, so thats me snookered on that one.

2 - Norwich vs Liverpool 1980 I believe in that 5-3 thriller Stood on a box in the River End and loved it.

Good question

1) For about 4 years now went to as many games as I could before that but as soon as I left school and didn''t have any school games on a Saturday got my season ticket and have sat in the lower Barclay ever since.

2) I think my first one or the first one I remember was February 1988 or 1989 when we played Man Utd at home and beat them 2-1 Butterworth scored the first but all other memories from that game are lost.

1. Never had a season ticket, always used to buy individual tickets when I lived in Norfolk

2. First game would of been home to Nottingham Forest in ''88 I think (could of been ''89). It was 0-0.

I''ve had a season ticket in the Barclay since 1992. Prior to that in the late 80''s I had a season ticket in the family enclosure.

My first game was 1984 at home to either Birmingham or Grimsby (can''t remember which was first). I stood on a milk crate in the river end. In those days they even sang in the river end, occasionally!!!!

Season ticket since 1988/89.First game was Norwich 2 Liverpool 1 in 1986 (i think)

Season ticket holder since 1988/89 season, I think it was.

First game was a 2-2 draw with Arsenal. Began life sitting in the South Stand, moved to the River End (stood on a milk crate) then to the Barclay in the early 90''s then finally settled in the Snakepit after it had been built.

Had a season ticket now since start of the prem season and sit in the Upper Barclay.

Think mine was 1987.  It was February 14th (my birthday).  We beat Manchester City 2-0 and it was the day that the new city stand was opened.  

I get the feeling I''m going to win this one. My first game was March 1949 and we beat Ipswich 2-1.

I bought my first season ticket, and have renewed it to the present season, in 1970. I started in the old wooden stand and moved to the River End stand when it was built.

First match - perhaps the most important in Norwich City history! Seen from the River End by a wide eyed 14 year old from Gorleston.

Saturday, January 3rd ,1959

Norwich City 4  Southend United 0 (3 goals in the first 12 minutes -and the birth of the modern City tradition of football on the carpet)

Before the match City were 18th of 24 teams in the old Third Division (South) - Southend were 3rd!

On Saturday - January 10th - the legend began. Manager Archie Macaulay and his team beat Manchester United (Bobby Charlton & all)  3-0 at Carrow Road in the 3rd round of the FA Cup and began the most romantic  cup run in history. City enchanted the whole country by out-footballing top division teams on their way to eventually losing in a semi-final replay.

Nethercott; Thurlow Ashman; McCrohan Butler Crowe; Crossan Allcock Hill Bly Brennan

The Pink''Un head line that day       BLY BLY BABES

For the youngsters, centre forward Terry Bly scored 2 goals and City played United off the pitch .  United in those days were universally referred to as the Busby Babes after legendary manager Matt Busby.

Apart from the Cup run, City stormed up the table to finish 4th in that fabulous season.

Next year  1959-60 saw promotion to the old 2nd division (equivalent to the modern Championship)

Heady days.

But I often wonder what would have happened if City had not got it together so wonderfully on that cold January day against Southend.

OTBC

[quote user="Intenso"]

I get the feeling I''m going to win this one. My first game was March 1949 and we beat Ipswich 2-1.

I bought my first season ticket, and have renewed it to the present season, in 1970. I started in the old wooden stand and moved to the River End stand when it was built.

[/quote] That''s pretty impressive 57 seven years since your first game and 36 years a season ticket holder. Certainly winning hands down for now! I seem to remember a few years back an elderly couple who were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and being introduced on the pitch at half-time. The husband had obviously been drinking mineral water with Delia and was a right character. Believe he came out with the words "Who are you" to the away fans over the mic! Think he must have been there at the nest in his time.