Sign in to follow this  
finbarr milligan

horsfield,thorne,howard,ferguson or sutton as target man+worthy on sky news claims budgets nearly spent!

we were linked to geoff horsfield,duncan ferguson, already have klondyke peter thorne, steve howard was also deemed to expensive at 1m, yet people and more importantly worthington dont want to sign sutton-any valid answers for this please im all ears. Also on sky sports news yesterday worthy claimed hes spent most of our budget on lee croft, so what exactly is our budget? £600,000 for a club recieving parachute payments and supposedly wants to get back in the premiersip is frankly pathetic. Birmingham spent 3.5m on jerome alone and are still spending, sunderland are getting kevin phillips back amongst others,crystal palace are spending well, as are derby,leeds,leicester,preston,cardiff and even ipswich are looking at sutton, yet our transfer budget is estimated at a piffly 1m. How on earth can we expect success on this basis when the team of the last 2 years needs a serious overhall. 

Fair point Finbarr.

I now await with baited breath for the reply from ''the mouth of the club'' Blah cubed. He/she will put you straight for such an outrageous post.

Steve Howard would have been a good signing for the Championship but he was way to expensive even with our tiny transfer budget.  Horsfield, Ferguson and Sutton are all too old and have nothing left to prove.

But lets not forget that Palace have about 12 million burning a hole in their pocket from selling all their best players.  West Brom have had 2 seasons up and are gambling for a season to see if they can go straight back up, look out for a mass exodus from the Hawthornes if they are doing nothing at Christmas.  Birmingham have had a few seasons in the Premier and all the cash that that brings, plus they have probably re-couped more than they have spent.

I think our summer plans were ruined by Green''s injury, I think the cash from his sale would have funded our transfer activity this summer.  I think that the January window will be our time in the transfer market.  And on the plus side if the squad stays injury free it isn''t too bad.....

I wish people posting on the forums would look at the full picture and not just the bits that suit them, all the negativity surrounding the club is getting boring...

Well said Jimmy500.

I''m a rather staunch Worthy Outer, and am not at all happy with the transfer activity this summer, nor am I happy that it seems that they have planned their entire transfer budget on the sale of one player.

But injuries aside, it looks like Worthy has realised the mistakes of last season and is planning to start with Safri and Etuhu in the middle, and he''s even bought himself a decent young right midfielder.

It seems that the main problem people have this summer is that we haven''t signed Sutton. Big whoop.

If anyone underachieved more than us last season it was Crystal Palace. Having sold the heart of their squad now they have indeed spent some of the money made but most importantly still dont own their ground. To add to that I am not particularily scared by any of their signings. Yes I can see that ex-Ipswich scum really is worth the money they paid for him and going by his return last season Morrison is a bit of a liability.

Birmingham have money after terrific salesmanship! £5.5 million for Heskey! Makes Ashton look like a real steal at £7.5million. £6.5 for Pennant - a player who has a lot of off field problems. And you can see that along with that £6million parachute money they indeed have cash to splash.

More importantly both of these clubs were financially sound before going up to the prem - where as Norwich were not. The premiership finally put the ship right and insured that for at least the near future we would not have to sell players to keep the club afloat.

The one thing I find a bit hard to accept though is that we have only about £1million to spend on players this summer. Last season Worthington spent less money than came in for the players that went out. And thats not even taking into account the parachute money.

In effect at least £6million from last summer/season has past into the clubs account without any reaching the tranfer kitty although admittedly other sides of the club.

Add that to the £6million this season and you have to ask yourself where it has all gone! Obviously we have now spent £600k (another £100k later remember) on Croft but other than that we are told only a small amount remains to be spent.

Either this is an outrageous lie or there a few more things going on that we realise. Attempting to look at this possitively means that:

A) The club is rationing spending this summer due to the situation with Worthington and his popularity with the fans - many of whom called for him to have less to spend this summer at the end of last season and force him to prove his credentials with more or less what he has now.

B) The club has decided to pay off a large amount of our debts therefore reducing the anual payments out to the loan companies/people and therefore freeing up more money on an anual basis for the club to invest into things like the squad and accademy.

Sure there are plenty of other options but I will leave that up to some others to project . . . .