Sign in to follow this  
Darlo dumplin’

Why does nothing here make sense?

... as the song goes!

1 At the end of last season Neil Adams even said we needed at least 4 players to stand a decent chance this year.  Now 2 of the first team (Hucks and Drury) are reported to have said they would have hoped for more [presumably quality in the team].

2 Ashton goes for around £7 mil and earnie comes for less than half.  Even allowing for what we paid Crewe it''s hard to see how the wages for Johanssen and Rehman could have possibly soaked up the rest.

3 So right back was a problem for last 2 years, but what we need is..............cover for left back!

4 We now have a small striker and need a target man, but Horsfield (wasn''t he once described by NW as too old/slow? or was it just the fans that said that?) is better than Chris Sutton.

5 We can assume that Sutton isn''t wanted because he isn''t wanted, not because we cannot afford him - why? because otherwise NW would have said that "we would love to have him but I don''t know if we can make that happen".

Of course we won''t know for sure until tomorrow and over the next few games whether a team of also rans can be transformed into promotion favourites, and if they can then we will have all the answers we need but until then it is hard not to form the view that either the board have decided that last seasons bad buys will have to be the bed on which our Nige is going to have to lie, or that some financial iceberg reminiscent of the Chare era is lurking so far unseen to most of us.  It may just be the former.

Try this for size....

Paul Gallacher - GK - The forgotten man with a chance to really shine, could really make the number 1 jersey his own....

Yousef Safri - MID - 100% fit and injury niggle free, if he stays fit for the whole season he could be a key player...

Lee Croft - WING - A quality outlet on the right with pace, will stop teams marking huckerby out of the game

Leon Mackenzie - FOR - 100% fit after last seasons injury woes, new girlfriend after person problems, we all know his quality, now we can hopefully see the best of him

Carl Robinson, Dickson Etuhu, Jurgen Colin have all now had time to settle, get comfortable with the area, get used to the other players etc etc..

Peter Thorne - For - Don''t forget that this season he is playing for his future in professional football...Enough said....

I am trying to be positive about the new season, ''Worthington in'' and proving all his doubters wrong would be the icing on the cake for me..... 

[quote]1 At the end of last season Neil Adams even said we needed at least 4 players to stand a decent chance this year.  Now 2 of the first team (Hucks and Drury) are reported to have said they would have hoped for more [presumably quality in the team].[/quote]

Prices for players we''ve gone for have gone up during negotiation as the result of bidding wars with other clubs, and the board probably felt that the players we have targetted haven''t been worth the money requested.  It could be that the increase in Premiership TV money is causing clubs like Derby to have a last throw of the dice, which is why we''re getting outbid for players like Howard.  We aren''t having a last throw of the dice because to do so might put the club in further debt if a big financial push for the Premiership fails.

[quote]2 Ashton goes for around £7 mil and earnie comes for less than half.  Even allowing for what we paid Crewe it''s hard to see how the wages for Johanssen and Rehman could have possibly soaked up the rest.[/quote]

Including the sell-on clause, we paid 5 million+ to Crewe for Ashton, his agent took 300k+ in renegotiating Ashtons'' contract, we paid 2.75 mill for Earnshaw.  By the time you''ve taken out Ashtons'' wages, we were probably down in the bank on both deals.  But we do have an outstanding striker in Earnshaw.

[quote]3 So right back was a problem for last 2 years, but what we need is..............cover for left back![/quote]

Drury has had very few injuries, we could probably get an "emergency loan" if he becomes injured.

[quote]4 We now have a small striker and need a target man, but Horsfield (wasn''t he once described by NW as too old/slow? or was it just the fans that said that?) is better than Chris Sutton.[/quote]

Horsfield was never going to come here, he''s lived around the Midlands and the North.  See 5 for the reason given for Sutton not coming here.

[quote]5 We can assume that Sutton isn''t wanted because he isn''t wanted, not because we cannot afford him - why? because otherwise NW would have said that "we would love to have him but I don''t know if we can make that happen".[/quote]

The only quote I could find on Sutton from Worthington was that he is getting older and had a few injuries.  I guess he thinks that Sutton wouldn''t be value for money ?  Reports suggest that he has been paid over double our current highest wage earner in the past.  Maybe money is the reason, but to say so might harm our chances of bringing in players in the future ?

It all makes perfect sense to me! this board has two objectives.

1) To keep Worthless as manager come what may

2) Consoldate our position as an average club in a below average league.

Thats it.  Bring it on i can''t wait.