Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Fragile confidence?

Last season there were some really dire performances. All of us can agree on that. At times, especially those games when we conceded four goals, there was no fight and we collapsed.It could be that some who have been criticised, Etuhu and Robinson in particular, have got more to contribute, but lack confidence and were playing in a team lacking it.Then came Elland Road! A first half of good football should have led to a significant lead at halt time. So what happened in the second half?Is it really the case that we can''t play 4-4-2,- then our team are not worth the professional salaries they are paid? Is management not able to motivate them when things go against us? Do we lack a captain who can inspire and cajoule? Is is the fear of criticism, or top players who will not exert themselves?I don''t know. It could be any or all of these factors, or others, but we know there are too many times when they don''t turn up, or they lose the plot. It seems that the arrival of Croft, if he can control himself in tackles, could enthuse as Huckerby did when he first burst on the scene. Could it be that all we need to gain a more enduring confidence is a string of good results? We probably all have our opinion on that one.

I hope Etuhu and Robinson have more to offer.  One was being looked at Premiership clubs and the other has been promoted 3(???) times with different clubs from this league, so they must have something about them.

I would not say they were bad signing''s but maybe just bad timing of when they were signed.  Players like Hux always seem to be confident and those sort of players come in and lift a side.  Etuhu and Robinson seem to be players that need to build confidence.  They obviously came in low on confidence from not playing much to a team that was struggling for form.  Had they joined last summer things may have been different.  I am hoping that with some confidence we will see a bit more from these players.  I hope. 

i think confidence is fragile - but totally understandable.

Runaway favourites drawing first three games at home, then mix in our traditional away form.

Thats why a victory today and saturday is really necessary to get the momentum and confidence up - for the team and the crowd

Probably doesn''t help their confidence when  fans batter them whenever they hit a c**p pass either. Thats the trouble, and probably why there is all the Worthy slagging as well (and I am no saint on that subject) An earlier thread stated that Worthy had single handley destroyed the club or something like that which was absolute nonsense, he has raised expectations which he can no longer maintain as his signings have not paid off recently which has exposed his less than perfect tactical nouse (the Championship season when it all came together papered over any cracks) It happens at football clubs across the country at all levels all the time.....its City''s turn now and he''ll either turn it around or go......look at Derby, 7 managers in 6 seasons is not idle either is it?

The players are the very visible element and the easy target for the unrest, and booing etc will not help anyones confidence. Its the first home game tonight, lets at least all start a wee bit positive for the players (even if on the inside you, like me, have huge reservations about certain people within the club) There''s a time for screaming, booing, shouting etc, the first home game aint it 

A run of games, including away from home, unbeaten is what is needed to boost confidence;  the wins will then follow as will league position - get that run of say 5 games unbeaten then we have the start of some confidence building.   A couple of wins with another away defeat leavs us back at square one; we need to be resilient and most importantly competetive game in game out. 

[quote user="Rossi"]

i think confidence is fragile - but totally understandable.

Runaway favourites drawing first three games at home, then mix in our traditional away form.

Thats why a victory today and saturday is really necessary to get the momentum and confidence up - for the team and the crowd

[/quote]

Agreed - and that is why we must do our part tonight and get behind the team rather than start to moan the first time anything goes wrong!

Maybe we should buy them all a teddy bear to take to bed with them , for gods sake they are grown men doing a job for thousands of pounds not 2 year olds .

[quote user="NotWorthy"]Maybe we should buy them all a teddy bear to take to bed with them , for gods sake they are grown men doing a job for thousands of pounds not 2 year olds .[/quote]

If you think that confidence does not have any role to play in performance you clearly know nothing.

[quote user="NotWorthy"]Maybe we should buy them all a teddy bear to take to bed with them , for gods sake they are grown men doing a job for thousands of pounds not 2 year olds .[/quote]Mate, I''d love to see you do any job with several thousand people barracking you! I feel foolish enough when I drop a glass and half-a-dozen regulars cheer, ironically - multiply that by thousands and I bet they feel pretty horrible, regardless of how much they''re paid.Sportsmen expect to hear groans of disappointment when they foul up - the payback is the rush you get when something good you do is cheered to the rafters. Try getting involved on both sides, even for players who aren''t your personal favourites, and you might be surprised by the positive effect you can have.

Worthingtons job to instill confidence , if they have none its another to add to his many failings.

ZLF. nicely put. Unfortunately  the sort of posts, coupled with the entrenched attitude we frequently witness from the blinkered posters we have on here will go no way to boost the confidence of the players, especially if it is carried on to the ground at games.  You need a buzz of expectation with encouragement and humour from the crowd to get the performances that we expect from the players.  On the ball city!!!!