Sign in to follow this  
Sing, Sing, wherever you may be...

leeds game-possesion dosent win games

before i start you are more than welcome to check the papers on the information i use, as the likes of ricky knight, herb, and pete seem determined to question every single post, even suggesting ive nothing else to do-no private lives themselves perhaps? {maybe they should get a bird}

Anyway according to the papers we had the majority of possesion 58% to leeds 42%. Leeds had 5 shots on target and 3 off, to our 3 on and 5 off.

on sky sports news after the leeds game worthy claims he was delighted and went on to praise the performence-for those who were not aware we lost!

How can you be so chuffed after a game you have lost? Surely if thats the best we can play and we still come off 2nd best it dosent bode well for the season.

earnshaw missed clear cut chances and even the biased evening news gave him 6 out of 10, with most national papers giving him 5.

perhaps we should get a win under our belts before we start praising defeats!

[quote user="theolster"]

before i start you are more than welcome to check the papers on the information i use, as the likes of ricky knight, herb, and pete seem determined to question every single post, even suggesting ive nothing else to do-no private lives themselves perhaps? {maybe they should get a bird}

[/quote]Yeah, how dare we! Can''t remember suggesting you''ve got no life,Also, its a bit presumptious for you to suggest I''m lacking a "bird" as you so eloquently put it.  Besides, I might fancy geezers for all you know. Are you single? :)Your personal jibes aside, the fact is we dominated the game and should have won it in the first half. As Earnshaw said, he can''t remember missing that many chances in a game before.Write it off, put it down to him being a bit ring-rusty and move on.''Cept you and you ilk haven''t even moved on since we got relegated - wake up, its 2006 and if you pull your head out your backside and support the team we could be champions.Thats assuming you attend games. I have a feeling some of the biggest mouths in here don''t.

Cant win with some fans!

For example:

Play Well + Lose = Moan

Play Average + Lose = Bigger moan

Play Poorly + Lose = Sack Everyone!

Play Well and Win = Moan because we should either beat the reprobates we were playing or luck conspired against the oppostion

Play Average + Win = Bigger Moan because they were rubbish and we were''nt much better but luck conspired against the opposition

Play Poorly + Win = Dont like our style of play and I''d rather lose playing good football! Playing the Norwich Way!

Any draw + Play anyhow = Massive moan about wasted oportunity for points, we cant defend, we cant score!

To get a bonus moan you can add a Home Match!

Three quick points. Firstly, the original poster is quite correct, possession doesn''t win you games, but it does usually help acheive that end. The key of course is having players who can turn possession into goals - i.e. those players who possess creativity and flair. We do have them, but they are in short supply and are naturally inconsistent. But even a team of limited means can still win by having very little possession - it''s called counter attacking, and revolves around having a dogged defence, pacey strikers and a target man.

Secondly, there is definitely (on most occassions) a difference in opinion between those who do attend and those who don''t - and this is an entirely natural occurence - or it is in my mind. Three examples. Sheff Utd 1 - 3 Norwich (Boxing Day last season). Those of us there saw Norwich amazingly win 3-1 against Warnock, and to be quite frank, we were pretty dreadful - and still managed to inflict their first home defeat of the season. Those who didn''t go might have thought we had turned the corner based purely on the result, of course, we hadn''t, but it was a nice thought for a day or two. Another game, our 1-0 loss to Sheff Wed last season. I returned home to see fans going ballistic at the result, but to be fair, I thought we had played well that day, far better than when we beat Sheff Utd 3-1 and felt encouraged (much like Leeds away last Saturday). But for those who didnt go, they had to rely on isolated incidents, and maybe couldn''t form a real opinion from the (slightly) biased radio commentators. But of course, there are those times when the picture is perfectly clear to those who went and those who didn''t - Palace away last season (4-1 for those who need reminding - and it was shocking).

Finally, my main issue with Worthington at the moment is his own making - the Sutton affair, and I think the Man in the Stands was right on the money with his article about it. It has really irritated me that he won''t even talk to the guy! Ahem - anyway, enough of that before I get accussed of being boring!

This kind of threads are bloody annoying.

We spent last season whinging about playing hoofball BUT winning games - eg. QPR at home. "I don''t care that we won, we were awful" was the message.

Yet now, we have made a HUGE effort not to play hoofball, we took a good Leeds side to the cleaners for 50-60 mins of a game and lose by a penalty having hit the woodwork twice and you''re STILL bloody whinging.

Stop it!!!! Stop it stop it stop it.

Rather worryingly i seem to recall a similar game against Burnley last season.  We piddled all over them in the first half hour and yet still managed to lose 2-0.

Has anything changed?

Think of the psychology guys - it''s day one of the season, even reading lost last season 1st game

[quote user="rocky marshall"]Play Well + Lose = Moan Play Average + Lose = Bigger moan Play Poorly + Lose = Sack Everyone! Play Well and Win = Moan because we should either beat the reprobates we were playing or luck conspired against the oppostion Play Average + Win = Bigger Moan because they were rubbish and we were''nt much better but luck conspired against the opposition Play Poorly + Win = Dont like our style of play and I''d rather lose playing good football! Playing the Norwich Way! Any draw + Play anyhow = Massive moan about wasted oportunity for points, we cant defend, we cant score! To get a bonus moan you can add a Home Match![/quote]

An excellent analysis - I''ve checked it out and your formula works every time on this board. So we don''t need to go to the bother of actually posting new threads after every game, which would be a great relief.

I haven''t got a bird but my brothers got a knackered old ex canary thats way past its prime, he calls it Chris.

[quote user="theolster"]

perhaps we should get a win under our belts before we start praising defeats!

[/quote]

OK, we''ve got a win so I''d like to praise our performance against Leeds.

Now, whats happening with Chris? The season is nearly a week old and he hasn''t signed for any of the three Premiership clubs or any of the numerous Championship teams that you reliably informed us had offered him a contract.

Can your brother give us an update?