Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

£500,000 better off for being in the Premiership

I see Neil Doncaster has publicly stated the finances of the club, an explanation why we haven''t signed anybody (Croft aside) in the summer.

I appreciate him saying this and fully understand the implications of running a football club and its financial accounts, especially with 35,000 fans wanting signings.

It does seem a shame that we are only £500,000 better off for being in the Premiership. The amount of publicity and TV we got that season was huge and although player signings, agents, wages and bonuses get taken into consideration, as well as the Jarrold Stand, it all does seem a bit of a shame, especially when figures such as £25 Million are quoted as a Premiership promotion success!

Even loaning players seems to be a huge financial drain, and with players coming in like Zesh Rehman from Fulham, would seem a total waste of the club''s money. But then again, who knows if they are going to be successful?

Not an easy job Mr Doncaster but thank you for sharing this with us. I guess it means no more signings for the time being!

if i remember correctly, city''s wage bill for the prem season was one of the lowest, at £17m - more less £100m below chelsea, who had the largest wage bill.surely gate receipts, sponsorships and merchandising would cover all our other expenses for the year - if not why not?  how come we were only £0.5m  better off  for gaining promotion?  isn''t the building of the jarrold stand on  a £18m mortgage?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

It really begs the question yet again: With so little funds why did we spend 3.5 million on Rob Earnshaw? 

A better manager could have invested the money far more wisely?  Lets hope we and erny stay injury free I guess.

[/quote]

i guess, considering how last season was going, we could have left earnie where he was and bought a couple of second rate players from lower down the leagues (not sure who these could have possibly been - who''s total wages would probably have come to more).

I think it''s pretty clear that earnshaw was a great signing for this club. i agree, the squad is thin.

I said this before a ball was kicked this season, that it can take new players a whole season to settle in. Mr Roberts can testify to that. Some of the signings that have been made in the past may turn up to be worth their weight. May being the operative word of course...

I''ve no idea what he means by "only half a million better off".

The Annual Report shows a net profit of over £7 million for the Prem season. Even after wiping out the previous season''s loss, there was still £3 to £4 million left over.

It really begs the question yet again: With so little funds why did we spend 3.5 million on Rob Earnshaw? 

A better manager could have invested the money far more wisely?  Lets hope we and erny stay injury free I guess.

[/quote]

Oh shut up. Moan moan moan.

[quote user="Canary Boy"]

It does seem a shame that we are only £500,000 better off for being in the Premiership. 

[/quote]

Well we also had great fun getting there, and being there. So it has left us all with a stock of wonderful memories at least. And if you want something more ''concrete'', it gave us the infill stand which would not have been built in anything like the present form if we hadn''t got to the Prem.

And who''s to say we won''t do it all over again?

Can''t agree with you more Cantley, we had a great time there full of wonderful memories...and we had a got shot at staying up too.

I''ve got a goo feeling inside me that we might be not too far off doing it again!

[/quote]

my thoughts exactly. with a good manager £3.5million can build a team worthy of promotion in this league and we spent it on one player!

3.5 Million wold buy good championship players, players who probably wouldn''t cut it at Premiership Level.  We have been there, done that.

I am pleased that the club and manager have had the foresight to spend the money on a Premier League quality player in Robert Earnshaw.  Premiership quality strikers are hard to come by, and we have got a good one.

I personally would much rather we added quality to squad gradually than panic and get a load of mediocre has beens in.  I get the impression that too many people in Norwich know nothing about football, it''s been a long time since I have had a sensible conversation with anyone about football.

Nigel Worthington is a good manager who has done more for this club in the last 5 years than anybody else since Mike Walker in the early 90''s.

People keep harping on about better managers and Worthy out, it''s boring, it''s negative and it''s irritating!!!!!!!