Sign in to follow this  
Hayden

Not from these Shores

Just wondering what the opinion is on Nige looking a bit further afield in his hunt for a big striker. We have heard all the talk about Sutton, Hulse, Horsefield, Howard etc but one of the best big target men we have had recently is Matt Svensson who came from somewhere or other not of these shores. I am wondering what our scouting network is like to find the next Matt etc as surely they are more affordable and more likely to come to us without the inflated British player prices. And before you say it I know they have to be made of sterner stuff than DeWaard etc but surely it has to be an option as big strikers in England are few and far between 

From what I can gather our scouting network is pretty awful.  Worthington certainly has a very poor knowledge of the foreign markets, unlike George Burley,  so I doubt the next Gregorsz Rasiak, Rudi Scakal or Inigo Idiakez is going to end up at our club. 

Thankfully the next Finidi George won''t end up here either!!

well I meant that he was not English and hence we should maybe look abroad (like Charlton did with Matt) at other leagues.....

I''ve tried this before, but I usually get shot down in flames because "foreigners can''t adapt to our league". Apart from the foreigners that CJF mentioned, anyway. Oh, and Arca.

I think the scouting is the worst part of NW''s regime at Norwich. It drives me mad.

with you on this one Mook

Its amazing that the Prem is full of foreign imports (Nige went abroad when we went into the Prem as well) yet if you are in the Championship its a sore subject. Steeno was a great signing wasn''t he? There are gems out there but I guess the only time Nige et al look abroad is when the Champs league is on the telly

[quote user="Hayden"]

well I meant that he was not English and hence we should maybe look abroad (like Charlton did with Matt) at other leagues.....

[/quote]

Charlton got Matt from Crystal Palace, definately not abroad.

Pete, Hayden: This could run and run until you guys run out of Clubs for Matty Svensson, keep it up... ; )

[quote user="Anderz"]Pete, Hayden: This could run and run until you guys run out of Clubs for Matty Svensson, keep it up... ; )[/quote]

Sorry, thats were it ends, I''m pretty sure that Palace got him from abroad.

For some reason, Norwich have always been a bit ropey when signing foreign players (long before Worthy - remember Drazen Muzinic anyone?).  There have been a few successes, Steeno and Svennson for example, but the bad outweigh the good.  It''s a pity because the market now is geared far more towards foreign signings but for one reason or another we can''t take advantage.

[quote user="JayM"]For some reason, Norwich have always been a bit ropey when signing foreign players (long before Worthy - remember Drazen Muzinic anyone?).  There have been a few successes, Steeno and Svennson for example, but the bad outweigh the good.  It''s a pity because the market now is geared far more towards foreign signings but for one reason or another we can''t take advantage.[/quote]

Which backs up Mooks  post , where he says that our scouts are crap [ in so many words ] ..... I say he`s correct !   and the quality of scouts should be taken very seriously ,  because its their findings  that can make or break a club ....    to hark back to the Clough era  ,  it was Taylor  who was the brains of that duo !   it was HE that scouted   far and wide , it was HE that recognised talent ,  it was he that ignored   the pundits , and chose  players  who often  were regarded as " bad lads "   , or didn`t " fit in "   ......    Clough`s talent was that he was a natural  social worker !   the players were all  " his children "   and he was big daddy  !   it sounds nutty , but , God , it worked !!   

Maybe our scouts need to get out more?     like the scout who went to Ireland   , and watched an obscure Irish amateur club play .....  and liked the look of a George Best !    my point is , that   talent  will be out there  somewhere  , even still at school , or playing for  some local amateur side  .

[quote user="mat gore"]Palace got Matty Svennson from Portsmouth....[/quote]

Thanks Matty, but in my defense Mr Wenger from Arsenal reported that Portsmouth has recently been (by Sol Campbell) recategorised as abroad!

yeah yeah bl**dy yeah. Time to finsih this.......

And Portsmouth got Matt from blah blah blah blah blah who got him from a Swedish under 9''s team who got him from a first school who got him from his bl**dy mother!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus Christ, I hope his mum was not from these shores. Ever wish you had never started something???? Maybe I should have called the post "PICK HOLES" or soemthing. For the record, step up our Scouting and find a big foreigner instead of looking in England!!!!!!

I''m sweating now, outside to calm down I think

OTBC   

[quote user="Hayden"]

yeah yeah bl**dy yeah. Time to finsih this.......

And Portsmouth got Matt from blah blah blah blah blah who got him from a Swedish under 9''s team who got him from a first school who got him from his bl**dy mother!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus Christ, I hope his mum was not from these shores. Ever wish you had never started something???? Maybe I should have called the post "PICK HOLES" or soemthing. For the record, step up our Scouting and find a big foreigner instead of looking in England!!!!!!

I''m sweating now, outside to calm down I think

OTBC   

[/quote]

So no English  eh Hayden ?  ........ interesting !   [S]