Sign in to follow this  
The Voice of the Thorpe Area

The Great Formation Debate

I''ve been surprised to hear so many people moaning about the 4-5-1. Listening to to Radio Norfolk after tuesday''s match, many people were saying how, although we were playing well with it for now, teams would soon work out how to play against us, and I''m sure many people have heard times when this new tactic has came under attack from our fans.

But surely this is the case with any formation? No matter if it is the 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or 3-5-2, teams can find a away of playing against that formation.

Personally, I think this formation is perfect for NCFC. Last year, we all know why we didn''t succeed; the defence leaked too many goals, and our midfield was no-existant. Surely therefore, by flooding the midfield with players capable of tackling; Etuhu and Safri, and on the face of it, who can pass the ball as well, we are fixing what was wrong with us last year, and in the premiership as well.

On top of that, we have Huckerby, for whom that attacking midfield role was made for, and Croft, who looks like a bargain for 700k, we have 3 players (and of course Earnshaw up top) which the counter-attack works perfectly for, pure natural pace and penitration.

I think it may well be perfect for away matches, but maybe not ideal for playing at home.

At home with the crowds help we should be looking to roll over some of the teams in this division. Being 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go against any team leaves us open to missing out on two points. Granted the other day we got the second goal, but shots like that probably won''t happen every week. Maybe start with 4-4-2, and switch to 4-5-1 if we are getting overun in midfield at home?

Also you mentioned all the midfielders apart from Robinson, so it seems obvious who could make way. Hughes may well fit in better to a 4-5-1, or at least give us more presence in the box if he can play centrally ahead of Ethuhu and Safri, rather than stuck out on the right. If we are looking to chase a game away it would seem the obvious substition.

We will need more than one formation to get through the season, and injuries may well force it on us.