Sign in to follow this  
Jersey canary

Next season

Obviously we are going to be buying (signing free players) at the beginning of next season, any thoughts as to the way we approach this, ie sign older players who have premiership experience or go for players from a lower division who are hungry for success like Leon???

Of course Chelsea will be signing a few players so may be able to do a season long loan especially if we can get someone of the quality of Foresell

Personal choices for players from a lower league would be

Dawson
Reid
Parkin
Johnson (both of them)
Fuller

Although we do have a lot of strikers at the moment..

I think we should do a mixture of things loaning, frees, splashing out the cash and looking at lower divisions.

Lower division players could be:

Wade Elliot
Sam Parkin
Stephen Istead

Loans?:

Stephen McPhail
Rob Huth
Jermaine Pennant
Olivier Bernard
David Bellion

Frees?:

Pascal Cygan
Richard Dunne
Christian Ziege
Mario Stanic
Gary Breen

Cash?:

Kevin Cooper
Lee Bowyer
Peter Crouch
Lionel Morgan
Neil Sullivan

Possible team:

Green

Primus Cygan Dunne Bernard

Pennant McPhail Bowyer Ziege

Huckerby Crouch

well when thinking of the three teams that will go down to division 1 will probably be wolves, leicester and 1 of either man c, blackburn or leeds.
they will be looking to cut their wage bill so which players would be affordable and we could welcome?
i like jolean lescott from wolves
nobody from leicester
blackburn and leeds there are loads but i dont''t know if we could afford any
young james milner?
james mcevely
liked the players mentioned in the last post

Although I think the players you have mentioned bring a considerable mixture of experience and youth, it is interesting that out of the chapionship winning team, you have kept only 2.5 players. Green, Huckerby and Crouch! I realise that we have to strengthen, but surley its a kick in the teeth for all the players of 2003/04. What would you do with Flemming, Mcveigh, Drury? etc etc. There has to be a nucleas, and we know the current team has an understanding and a friendship is will be invaluable next year.

I agree that to ditch so much of the team that has done so well this year has to be wrong. We do need to strengthen in all areas of the pitch though as you do need a different team to stay in the premier from the one that gets you out of the nationwide.

In my view we will be looking to add Crouch up front but other than that no changes are needed there - although we will be saying adios to the welsh legend.

In midfield we need at least 2 players - a ball playing central midfielder and a right sided player. We may also need someone to come in on the left as McVeigh/Brennan may not be consistent enough for us. I am not yet sure that Cooper is good enough.

At the back I would like to see two centre halfs and a new right back, age, pace (lack of) and poor reading of the game means replacements will be needed.

Clearly we will have a tight budget and I trust Worthy to use it wisely. I can see a couple of permanent signings for cash (eg Crouch) but suspect we will see the squad grow with a selection of one season contracts on high wages (Bosmans) and season long loans - very much in the mode of Bolton. The key is that they gel with the rest of the squad and have a desire to perform. The likes of Pennant, Bowyer, Zeige, Cygan & Stanic simply dont fit this bill.

Parkin is an interesting one (I would say that as I suggested him in December!) - but I am not sure he is ready for the premier just yet and I rate Jarvis a better prospect longer term. The likes of Huth & Lescott are possibles, Forsell simply too big for Norwich, Reid would be superb but too expensive, Dawson vastly overrated. Also as Carl Cort likes Norwich Asda (we havent had a sighting for a week or so!) so much I am sure he will also be on our list!

Gary Teale of Wigan would be interesting, as would Etherington, Ifill and Arca if their clubs fail to make it via the play offs.

Finding that ball playing midfielder will be the tough one though - any suggestions other than lazy Chelsea second teamers? (With Veron back perhaps Smertin or Cole may be tempted?) Rumours of Sicknote from Spurs hardly excite me..

What a joy to be thinking of signing more true talent to play against some of the worlds best players rather than watching/signing the likes of Higginbottom, Llewelyn or DeWaard

OTBC

I sincerely believe that we can forget wholesale changes to the squad, Nigel believes in the team spirit he has created and he is not going to lose that spirit by signing masses of players. Sure I expect to see a couple of new faces at the club but not in the numbers talked about in the early days of this post. I have said before we need to keep the nucleus of the team together and see how we get on. We do need a bit of extra flair, but flair is one thing, grit and determination is another and we have that in bag fulls and I sincerely believe that will be enough for a decent finish. At the end of the day we only need to be the fourth worst team in the league ot survive, but I would love us to appoach next season with a lets go get at em attitude and not worry about relegation. The fanny anne wholesale mercenary teams will not hold together like our squad will.....you just have to look at the high 30''s early 40''s numbers on the backs of a lot of shirts worn in the Premier League by young players who have been rushed through to play as the expensive imports have fallen by the way side with mysterious niggles and attitude problems. Look at Man City, great players, crap spirit. Myself and AT LAST!!! discussed Jarvis and Hendo and Shackell playing in the Prem and I did wonder if they were ready, but there "let me play" attitude and youthful innocence will scare the hell out of an ageing mercenary. In truth I don''t know who we will sign, but I am sure it will be quality, not quantity.

Nope, I reckon we''ll get about 4 new players to add strength in depth.

I think the team that started against Walsall will also start our first game next season. They know each other''s game and until they prove they''re not up to it or get injured they deserve a chance to have a go. Frankly, even though it was only Walsall, I''d fancy the chances of that team against, say, Man City the way they''re playing at the moment, wouldn''t you?

History suggests that if you change the team wholesale you lose the team spirit, and that''s fatal. Look at Ipswich in their second season up....

Ama

And now... would you really drop our two Scotland internationals?

I think we need to be realistic on 1) Worthy''s budget and 2) the number of players we''d be looking to bring in. If Nige gets £5M I''ll be pleased and if we spent £1.5M on one player I''d be delighted! We all know we need to strengthen our squad but I''d HATE us to do a Leicester and buy a squad full of premiership rejects (Gillespie, Dabizas, Freund etc) We have a fantastic nucleus of a squad here. We just need to bring in 4 or 5 players to add that bit of quality. A bit of experience (Petit, Unsworth) and some younger talent (Huth, Lescott etc). Wholesale changes would be a disaster though.

I believe there is no need for the current posts/threads speculating on the summer signs - yet.

Most on this board have been yellow and green long enough to know that footballing success comes around rarely for us. My point is appreciate and enjoy the good times now while we are top of the league, having a laugh etc etc and let next season look after itself - open season starting on May 10!

Now Svensson has finally settled and started scoring goals, I think that Crouch won''t be considered, but I agree with you on Roberts. I also believe that to establish ourselves in the Premier League, Cooper isn''t the answer - he can''t even get in a poor Wolves side.

I agree we will be after 3 new defenders - a right back and 2 central defenders

2 right wingers, and a central midfield - Jimmy Bullard has been mentioned?

Crichton will be kept on to let Joe Lewis mature - and I believe Chrichton is happy with that scenario.

First of all the figure being assumed is 5MN,given that amount how much would we be willing to spend on Crouch,and what will Villa accept if you accept the reports O''leary has only 1.5mn to spend.I think 1.5mn max for Crouch this wont be popular but aside from his popularity and STEADY performances he wasnt an outstanding success like DH.Hes not exactly set the prem alight with his performances and goals.This isnt a post to knock him just the facts and to say there are other forwards out there and we should not be blinkered.I beleive the majority of citys signings will be free''s and heres a couple.
GRAY C Palace
O''Roidan Hibs
Ross Rangers
Ferguson Everton
I trust NW with a couple of exceptions hes done ok lets stick with him,and what about Ashton with Rivers going the other way as part of the fee !