Sign in to follow this  
Notts Canary

Reasons to be positive...

I am feeling quite negative about the season ahead, mainly dowm to Worthington and the negative long ball tactics (would not be a Norwich fan if I could not have a pop first of all!!!). So instead of being negative I thought I would try and be positive, so I came up with:

1) One very good goalkeeper and from what we have seen a more than able man waiting in the wings.

2) Very loyal fan base

3) One excellent striker, who with the right service could be a 20 plus man

4) The fact Ipswich are in a worse state than us!!

5) Hucks

6) Good ground (really struggling at this point!!)

Anyone else.............................

Yep, we''ve solved our weaknesses at right back

We''ve brought in a quality right winger with a suitable back up option

We''ve put a big lad who can win the ball in the air next to Earnie

We''ve sold Etuhu

We''ve sold Hughes

Safri has promised more than 20 games

All season tickets have been sold

The board have regained the confidence of the fans

The manager has been replced

Money has been spent in order to improve the failures of last season

The bickering between fans has stopped - we''re all united in looking foward to a great season

Seriously, the only thing that has cheered me up this summer is a new name on the back page of the EEN. Reason to be positive? Absolutely, the club may well actually believe what we''ve said all along now. Sorry Rick (Ralph), I know you had a job to do and you were stuck between a rock and a hard place, but you went far to OTT.

Including last January when we were awful, the second half of the season got us 36 points.  So small improvements to the way we performed in the second half of last season will give us a play-off spot this season.

6 home wins in the last 7 home league matches, even if we did play badly in all of them.

Earnshaw scored 8 goals in 15 games, and those were scored in a system that people on here think doesn''t suit him.

England''s former Under 19 coach is working for us, and is better than Foley was according to a player whose name escapes me in an edp interview in the last month, possibly Huckerby, dunno.  It''s also possible that Hunter recommended Lee Croft to Worthington, Lee Croft being a former England Under 19 player.  If this is the case, it would be nice to think that he might be the first of many young players who like Hunters'' coaching style, and are willing to put up with the A47 to join us to be coached by him full-time.

We''ve finally started to look like we might actually sign a player or two, and if we are competitive up to Xmas, might have more money to spend in January for a promotion push.  All this doom and gloom about not buying players over the summer won''t matter if we''re in the top 6 next May.

We have a board who are ensuring the long-term future of the club.  Not very exciting this one, but it''s nice to know that there will still be a Norwich City in 20 or even 50 years, barring an unforeseen financial disaster or severe coastal erosion due to global warming.

I have to take my hat off to you blah, because you certainly have done a munby with that list. Seriously, well done!

[quote user="mystic megson"]We scored from a set piece last night . . . how often did that happen last season (I''m sure someone has the stats), not often enough IMO.[/quote]

Not through pure fluke either - my contacts tell me that for the first time in half a dozen or more years, we''ve actually trained at set pieces. Well done Hunter!

Either you are a plant from the club, or you are one of these people who will cannot see a situation until it smacks them in the face.  I hope you stick around to stick up for the current regime come October time.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Including last January when we were awful, the second half of the season got us 36 points.  So small improvements to the way we performed in the second half of last season will give us a play-off spot this season.

6 home wins in the last 7 home league matches, even if we did play badly in all of them.

Earnshaw scored 8 goals in 15 games, and those were scored in a system that people on here think doesn''t suit him.

England''s former Under 19 coach is working for us, and is better than Foley was according to a player whose name escapes me in an edp interview in the last month, possibly Huckerby, dunno.  It''s also possible that Hunter recommended Lee Croft to Worthington, Lee Croft being a former England Under 19 player.  If this is the case, it would be nice to think that he might be the first of many young players who like Hunters'' coaching style, and are willing to put up with the A47 to join us to be coached by him full-time.

We''ve finally started to look like we might actually sign a player or two, and if we are competitive up to Xmas, might have more money to spend in January for a promotion push.  All this doom and gloom about not buying players over the summer won''t matter if we''re in the top 6 next May.

We have a board who are ensuring the long-term future of the club.  Not very exciting this one, but it''s nice to know that there will still be a Norwich City in 20 or even 50 years, barring an unforeseen financial disaster or severe coastal erosion due to global warming.

[/quote]

[quote user="Rossi"]

[quote user="mystic megson"]We scored from a set piece last night . . . how often did that happen last season (I''m sure someone has the stats), not often enough IMO.[/quote]

Not through pure fluke either - my contacts tell me that for the first time in half a dozen or more years, we''ve actually trained at set pieces. Well done Hunter!

[/quote]

Yes, and well done Worthless for failing to get us training at them before......  he truely is an inept pillock.

methinks blahblahblah is a club employee, absolutely. No-one can be THAT positive ALL the time!

...or chris lakey in disguise!

Interesting that no-one on here has managed to argue against any of the points I made.  More fun to guess about my intentions, eh ?

Our results improved in the second half of the season, fact.

We had championship winning results at home in the last 7 games of the season, fact.

For all the whining about midfield, no right wing, and hoofs from Green, the fact is that if we continue where we left off last season, we will compete for a play-off place this season.  Only we won''t just do that, we are improving.

So stop living in the past and get behind your team.

[quote]Either you are a plant from the club...[/quote]

Damn, rumbled.  I''m actually a cactus that lives in the new conference suite.

how can you say our results improved fact in the second half of the season? what you should have said was our HOME results improved as our away ones were still crap until cardiff last up! if you are gonna quote FACTS at least get them right, especially as you seem to like to put everybody who says things that you dont agree with down on this board!

depends on your definition baldy.

26 points in the first half of the season.

36 points in the second half.

An improvement, yes ?  A fact, yes ?

And the only away win of last season was in the second half of last season.  Also an improvement, although I agree that is was a blip in an awful period of away form.

We were awful most of the time, but we also won ugly a lot of the time at home.  And ugly wins account for 80% of results in this league, whether you like it or not.

The Sun is shining and the Season is soon to Start! Oh and we have a nice shiney new kit with a super dooper Flybe badge on!!!

And the only away win of last season was in the second half of last season.  Also an improvement, although I agree that is was a blip in an awful period of away form.

[/quote]

not true. Brighton Away, Ipswich away etc.

Anyways 36 pts was an imprivement, but 72 points would have attained us 7th position...  Great.

We won more than one away game last season, (sheff utd anyone) but cardiff was the only one post Christmas.

I agree, if you''re looking for evidence that we may have turned a corner (at least at home) then the end of season was a good indicator that we''ve relearned how to win in this league. But you really have to be looking for evidence.

Sheffield United at home was a hard-fought gutsy win that we fully deserved.

QPR at home was a farce of a game that we won by virtue of the fact that everyone (players/fans/the lot) got hacked off with playing like the blind school on a day out and became motivated for ten minutes (and QPR were awful when we finally went at them).

The last few home games were won because of Earnie and his lethal finishing. IF we can bolt a successful attacking game onto his performances then we will be ok and will sniff the play-offs. However, if we play theh same clowns in theh same positions as we did last season then we''ll struggle to create and lose more than we win.

There are reasons to be positive but every one relies upon us having luck on the injury front. If key players go down we''re ballsed, because we have a squad with all the durability and strength of a wafer because our manager can''t get his act together to sign anyone.

blah x3

please dont get personal and call me baldy! its baldyboy! only joking, but please if you are going to quote things that you say are facts you really need to ensure you get the "facts" right! As has already been pointed out we won more than one game away all season, and if you consider one away win in the second half of the season better than two your maths is as bad as your so called "facts". i know you will do anything to stick up for worthy but facts need to be accurate

[quote]Anyways 36 pts was an imprivement, but 72 points would have attained us 7th position...  Great.[/quote]

Yes, 72 points from a team coached by Foley.  What about the same team with a pre-season that''s better focussed on the first team, coached by a better coach, that has played together for a season so they should know each others'' games (in theory), and with the potential of more quality to come from the transfer market ?

You said that 6th would keep you happy, or at least prevent you from roaming the streets with a placquard.  Are you seriously telling me that you don''t think a team with Huckerby, Earnshaw, Green / Gallacher, Drury, Shackell and Doherty isn''t capable ?  Or that if we start well and win the crowd back, confidence players like Robinson, Etuhu, MacKenzie won''t come good ?

I think there are many reasons to be cheerful.  But I would, wouldn''t I ? :)

Mr B. Boy,

[quote]but please if you are going to quote things that you say are facts you really need to ensure you get the "facts" right! As has already been pointed out we won more than one game away all season, and if you consider one away win in the second half of the season better than two your maths is as bad as your so called "facts". i know you will do anything to stick up for worthy but facts need to be accurate[/quote]

Ooops !  Yes of course, our away season was even better than I had remembered.*

In my defence, in pointing out our away form incorrectly, I was easily as accuarate as most of the drivel that is given as "proof" that we have a "clown" for a manager most of the time on this board, although thankfully it seems to have dried up recently.

You are correct, I shall attempt to be white than white in future.

* Irony.

[/quote]

excellant positive spin on current situations blah, totally agree