Sign in to follow this  
Ark

So, why not Sutton?

why has that irish guy ruined a good debate about one of norfolks best talents.

into a stupid debate on race.

norwich have often got labelled with this in the past but ive been going to norwich games all my life and i have never heard a racist comment.

surely racism is when u believe your race is superior to any other race,was he a norwich fan? if u want to talk about this rubbish,do it on another website.

anyway i think we need sutton,if worthy doesnt want him i think he is making a big mistake unless he has someone else in mind

[quote user="seamus42"][quote user="Herb"][quote user="seamus42"]

Unfortunately football has a lot of ground to make up in showing respect to others, and that includes how many refer to our sporting rivals from Suffolk.

[/quote]

Ipswich isn''t a race, its just a small town in Suffolk.

[/quote]

You miss the point herb...if you are being serious! of course we are not talking ''racism'' in this context but the underlying agenda of ''respect'' for difference... or lack of it, which often operates at an international level, national level, county level, between towns in the same county, schools in the same town or roads within the same village.  As I said earlier, lets enjoy rivalry without abuse...if both parties dont think its funny...then it aint funny.

[/quote]

[quote user="Northern Canary"]If he goes to B''ham and scores hatfulls then i will admit it was a huge mistake. But he is old, slow and often injured. Wasn''t impressed at all last season when he was in the premiership.

Judging on his performances last season, instead of those over 10 years ago, I do not think he is worth signing unless it is pay as you play at most.[/quote]

Completely agree - in this instance, I can''t help but think it is Worthy who seems to have got it right as he is not letting sentimentality rule what transfers he does.  People are quite understandably viewing Sutton with rose coloured spectacles. I personally would possibly have him back but only on a ''pay as you play'' deal and only as a last resort if all other options fail. 

This issue raised an interesting thought in my mind that people should maybe be asking themselves: if we were linked with him just as a player, ie without his Norwich "heritage", would people still be clamouring for him??  I can''t help but think that under those circumstances it would be a resounding "no". People would go on about age (as they did with Howard et al), the fact he is prone to injury and so on.  My point is, why should it be any different with him just because he had a successful stint at the club in the past?? 

If thats the case then Peter Thorne needs to be told to find another club , we dont want oldies let alone crap oldies. As for Sutton would he be any worse than a lumbering 35 year old journeyman we had last time we got promoted.

Whilst I was a big fan of Sutton, and whilst there is little risk if he has a pay as he plays contract I am not sure that, given his injury problems, he would play enough times, and there is aslo the question of the agents fees, as another poster has pointed out.

From what I can gather, Chris is looking to move back to Nofolk, and his dad used to be his agent.  I feel we hold all the cards, and he wants to play for us.....

What more motivation do we need to take on a 33 year old ex-premiership striker??  Look at Teddy Sheringham and Robie Fowler to find the impact he could have?

Well, Bellamy is injury prone but i am sure most us would like to see him back here. Can''t see the problem myself put him on a pay as you play contract and if he wants it bad enough he will play his heart out

TY

Ktf''er

I truly think you may have missed the point Seamus.  Describing someone as Irish is not racist, and every time you describe someone''s race it doesnt have to add anything positive to the conversation - it is purely descriptive.  No stereotypes were being drawn upon (except for the one you are demonstrating now).  Banter will always exist in football, as will rivalry.  If you are that sensitive to it then perhaps you should consider not exposing yourself to it.  It certainly isnt fair to get on you high PC horse and demand censorship of an innocent comment like this.  And your comment relating to both parties needing to find it funny... you do not find it funny but the comment was not directed towards you.  I think you take life a little too seriously mate - take a chill pill! 

Have to give worthington credit for this one.  Is strong managment to not pander to the obvious wishes of the fans, and take an easy, passifying option.  He believes Sutton is not good enough, showing a definite viewpoint: the kind of thing that he is often berated for not showing.  Personally believe that he is most likely to be right.  Best option would be to have Sutton on a match by match basis or similar, but this would provide so much distraction from building a succesful season long campaign, that would not be worth the effort.

[quote user="We need a Manager"]If thats the case then Peter Thorne needs to be told to find another club , we dont want oldies let alone crap oldies. As for Sutton would he be any worse than a lumbering 35 year old journeyman we had last time we got promoted.[/quote]

It is just rather interesting how opinions change: Howard has no injury record to speak of, would have come from a full season in this division scoring plenty, and is only 30 - but people used his age against him when it looked like we might sign him [I actually thought he was ok, but no way for £1m so am pleased we didn''t get him].  The very same supporters seem to be desperate for someone to sign who is 33 and has a poor recent injury record.  It does seem that main reason for the change is that we as supporters are sentimental, myself included (I did say that I would also have Sutton back), but does that make us right?  Maybe, just maybe, Worthy has it right this time. 

We weren''t actually talking about Thorne (who I think should be given a chance) or Iwan, but it is interesting you mention both of these.  Iwan had an extremely poor first season with us but was given a second chance by all, and came off to a very good degree - so why are people so unwilling for Thorne to be given a similar chance?  Meanwhile, when we got promoted, Iwan had been at the club for several years and everyone knew it was going to be his last season, he was not particularly injury prone and was as fit as ever (Sutton meanwhile has not even had a pre-season and is injury prone). 

[quote user="Misery Guts"]I dont think the manager cares about getting in the WO good books infact I would suggest that he activley dislikes the WO. I think Sutton''s signature would have had the same impact as Fowlers return to Liverpool, there would have been a feel good attitude attributed to it , I dont know what Sutton would have wanted a week but it sounds like Worthington wasn''t even bothered to ask. I sometimes get the impression that the reason he didn''t want to sign Sutton is the same reason he played Andy Hughes 54 times last season, he doesn''t have any respect for the opinion of what he sees as fickle fans.[/quote]

You are spot on there misery guts.  He has openly said he doesn''t care what the supporters think he is the manager.  If he can bring in Hughes, Robinson and Etuhu, then he should surely bring in Sutton.  The sooner we get a manager who recognises talent the better.

As we have no plan C (or plan Z defensive cover) its better to have nobody than Sutton......

That makes perfect sense...................... on earth 2

(and the fact it would help smooth things over with the fans who are somewhat testy at this time)

All I am hearing is about how he did in 11 games in the prem last year.

I could have sworn we were not actually in the prem and he might do a good job for us at this level.

(the gap between the prem and this division is massive as we found out)

He might actually be one of the few members of our squad who has genuine ties and wants to play for Norwich.

( A player who has something to prove is one I want playing for us.)

From his picture in the pinkun he looks pretty fit.

Would not surprise me if you hear Sutton chants if things don`t start well this year.

At this stage the club needs to do SOMETHING to try and bring some positive energy back into the stands to start the season.

I would have Sutton back like a shot and I think that anyone who wouldn''t is missing the point. In answer to the question above yes I would still be pleased if we signed him even if he did not have his prior connection with the club because the guy is a class player and would, in my opinion, be the prefect foil for Earnshaw. People say he was not great for Brum last season but the two or three games I saw on Sky he was getting all sorts of praise for his link up and hold up play which is precisely what we need.

The guy is free, has a passion and affection for the club and is precisely the sort of player we need. That Worthington will not even talk to him about a pay as you play deal beggars belief. There is no signing on fee and if he doesn''t play because of injury then we don''t have top pay him a lot - where on earth is the risk?

Above all though his signing would get people excited again and restore a buzz to Carrow Road that is totally lacking at the moment. The fans need something or someone to unite around and the signing of sutton could be just the thing! Unfortunately though i don''t think Worthington''s ego will allow it to happen.

Jim,

The risk you don''t see as existing, IMHO is more to do with our style

of play, than purely about whether or not Sutton is still good enough

to command a place at the club.

If we encourage Worthy to go in for someone like Sutton, we are in

essence stating that we want the team to play long ball football by

aiming for the new target man, in the hope that he''ll nod it down for

Earnie et al to put in the back of the net.

Let''s be frank, if I was a defender, i''d be much more concerned about

the likes of Hucks and McVeigh running at me with the ball, than I

would of Sutton (Or similar player) loping around upfront looking for

endless long balls from the back four.

Most fans complained about our style of play last year, moaning about

''hoofball'' etc, now we''re advocating this strategy by banging on about

signing an ageing ''Target Man''.

Is it really just me that can see that we need to ditch the whole idea

of of aiming for a target man, and getting back to playing the sort of

free-flowing, passing football, that this club was traditionally known

for? We''ve got the exact type of players to do it. Hucks, Croft,

McVeigh, Earnie, Leon - all quick, skillful players who are better at

running at people, or running onto balls than they are competing in the

air, so play it to their feet!

Shame we can''t get Mohammed Zidan in as well, that would really frighten defences...