Sign in to follow this  
The Fish Seller

Why oh Why does he do it?

Season hasn''t kicked off and already Nige is laying the boot into the Youths.

Well if they''re not ready, why give them Pro Contracts? To placate the fans demands for signings? I can think of no other reason.

Poor morale sapping management IMO.

I think what he did with that one is correct.

He gave them pro-contacts because he is planning to get them into the first team, but just like a new job, everyone starts at the bottom and builds their way up.

They''ve only now started playing teams like Northampton, Fakenham, Cambridge etc with the first team, and IMO they non of them really shined.

So they''d have no chance in the Championship.

Hes doing the right thing, don''t rush it!

[quote user="nh_ncfc"]I think what he did with that one is correct. He gave them pro-contacts because he is planning to get them into the first team, but just like a new job, everyone starts at the bottom and builds their way up. They''ve only now started playing teams like Northampton, Fakenham, Cambridge etc with the first team, and IMO they non of them really shined. So they''d have no chance in the Championship. Hes doing the right thing, don''t rush it![/quote]

Can they really be much worse than many of our "senior" players? I doubt it.

I don''t pretend to know the workings of the man''s mind, but I would think the pro contracts were offered, and taken up, because there was a belief on both sides that the players would have a part to play in the longer term future of the football club.It is to be hoped that Nigel has explained his plans to the younger squad members, and that they are happy to have signed contracts under these circumstances.I have read, elsewhere, that money raised by supporters (and supplied from the playing budget) to be invested in the youth system is a waste. The writer suggested that players were merely going to benefit other clubs. One way to offset this complaint is to have the best on professional terms, in order to recoup a transfer fee should they leave.I hope that the likes of the Jarvis bros. Mick Spillane et al are given regular reserve football, or loaned to lower division clubs, to bring them to the level of experience that the manager will find acceptable to play them in the first team without reservations. Let''s face it, the poisonous atmosphere that attended the finish of last season would be no place to put impressionable youngsters. They may have more chance of playing if the pitch-side bitching is absent (as many have suggested will be the case for the start of the season, at least).

[quote user="nh_ncfc"]I think what he did with that one is correct. [/quote]

Must be disheartening for the youngsters to be told they''re not in the frame just a week before the big kickoff they''ll have spent all Summer looking forwards to. If they''re not ready fine just don''t announce it publicly it not only lowers the youngsters morale but tells every other team in the division that we''ll be playing with a pool of what has shrunk to approx 15 senior players, all but one of whom were in a team that struggled to finish in the top half last year, hardly a declaration of strength or intent in my book.

[quote user="monty"]

[quote user="nh_ncfc"]I think what he did with that one is correct. [/quote]

Must be disheartening for the youngsters to be told they''re not in the frame just a week before the big kickoff they''ll have spent all Summer looking forwards to. If they''re not ready fine just don''t announce it publicly it not only lowers the youngsters morale but tells every other team in the division that we''ll be playing with a pool of what has shrunk to approx 15 senior players, all but one of whom were in a team that struggled to finish in the top half last year, hardly a declaration of strength or intent in my book.

[/quote]Yep, got to agree with you Monty, all the management courses he''s supposedly attended obviously didn''t teach him any Man Management skills

Realistically, how many of the kids were going to start anyway (Spillane on the bench?  but that''s probably it).  I can understand Worthy''s point in the long term but in the short term it does expose what little cover for injuries we have got.

whilst I am not saying put all the youngsters in at once, that would be madness, I am sure one maybe two at once could hold there own, other clubs do it with varying success

would love to see the gamble taken, they will develop as players with first team football some quicker than others

i suppose though as someone once said you dont win anything with kids! ha flaming ha

Perhaps it''s a clever way of not letting them get too nervous and excited, keeping their feet on the ground? Some of them will be in the 16, we don''t have enough players for them not to be!

[quote user="Dionysus"]

[quote user="nh_ncfc"]I think what he did with that one is correct. He gave them pro-contacts because he is planning to get them into the first team, but just like a new job, everyone starts at the bottom and builds their way up. They''ve only now started playing teams like Northampton, Fakenham, Cambridge etc with the first team, and IMO they non of them really shined. So they''d have no chance in the Championship. Hes doing the right thing, don''t rush it![/quote]

Can they really be much worse than many of our "senior" players? I doubt it.

[/quote]  No in fact they are probably better than some of the more experienced players Worthy has bought, but there again he isn''t going to admit that he brought some real duffers to the club.  I don''t remember reading any rave reviews about Hughes, Robinson and Etuhu against the likes of Fakenham and Cambridge.

Worthy will do what he did with Ryan Jarvis, Rossi Jarvis, Danny Crow and to a lesser extent with Shackell, in that he will give them a small taste and then banish them from the first team.  Henderson is the only one he seems to continually bring back and then he plays him out of position. 

Why play a talented youngster with vision when you can put in an experienced man who can pass sideways and backwards. 

The game is all about confidence and worthy has certainly done wonders for these young lads. Here is a professional contract, you are not good enough to get in my first team until you can prove you are better than Hughes, Robinson, Etuhu and Thorne.  I guess the youngsters should give up now.