Sign in to follow this  
mat gore

Just when you think it can't get any worse........

After the most pathetic dispiriting 2 seasons in memory (and yes I remember Derveld and co) it really seemed like things couldn''t get any worse.  Relationships between the club, manager, players and fans were terrible and the bookies clear title favorites had flirted with relegation for much of the season to finish a pathetic 9th.  Nearer points wise to 4th bottom than to 6th.

Still we had one more year of parachute payments and even with Worthington''s abysmal recent record in the transfer market should have been able to improve the squad.  Instead, our left back position which was the most-well covered in the team has 1 player able to play there and he''s been linked with Derby !!

Until this week NOONE had been signed.  OK Croft looks like he may have potential but until I''ve seen more I''ll reserve judgement.  Cedric Anselin had potential.

All of this however, pails into insignificance compared to what Sutton signing for Ipswich will do.  Sutton who blatantly WANTS to play for us again.  Sutton who is probably our best ever striker.  The man less injury prone and younger than Duncan Ferguson who Worthington would have "loved" to bring in.  God almighty Worthington wanted to pay for Steve Howard, a 30 yr old donkey who''s only played 1 season at this level and has a career record that makes unspectacular look like a compliment.

The message boards are even more hardened against Worthless trhan they were at the end of the season.

We actually have a sit yoo ay shun where anything less than an emphatic win away at Leeds on the first day and I believe we''ll have a crisis.

Can it really get any worse ??

The only thing worse than a manager who apprently doesn''t have a clue is a group of people who seem intent on reading everything negative into every situation. Yes, last season we were hopeless and yes, Worthington made some really poor transfer and substitution decisions etc., but he is still the manager of the club and we obviously want the club to do well. That''s not to say that he shouldn''t be criticised and held to account for what he does, but it seems to me to have become an obession. The danger of this is that we get a reputation as a club that whinges and moans and doesn''t support the team, rataher than a club that has the biggest and best support in the division. You only need to talk to QPR supporters after last season''s game to know how some view us - they were embarrassed for our team. Let''s not let this thing get out of hand. Fair criticism OK, whinging not.

[quote user="Kevin Keelan"]The only thing worse than a manager who apprently doesn''t have a clue is a group of people who seem intent on reading everything negative into every situation. Yes, last season we were hopeless and yes, Worthington made some really poor transfer and substitution decisions etc., but he is still the manager of the club and we obviously want the club to do well. That''s not to say that he shouldn''t be criticised and held to account for what he does, but it seems to me to have become an obession. The danger of this is that we get a reputation as a club that whinges and moans and doesn''t support the team, rataher than a club that has the biggest and best support in the division. You only need to talk to QPR supporters after last season''s game to know how some view us - they were embarrassed for our team. Let''s not let this thing get out of hand. Fair criticism OK, whinging not.[/quote]

They were not nearly as embarrased as we were

Yes. But I was more embarrassed by our fans than by our team. And our team were bloody awful...

Thats my point really isn''t it.  When relationships between fans, directors, players and management are SO bad that home supporters cheer away goals and there are regular msgboard debates about whether or not to hope city lose so worthless will be sacked...waht you need like a whole in the head is a PR catastrophe like this summer has already been.   If Sutton now signs for Ipswich and performs even moderately in my opinion Worthington''s position will be untenable.

Discontent is so high anything less than a heroic start to the season and I can see protests starting before we reach september.

" Sutton who is probably our best ever striker "

If you believe that then there is no surprise that you will believe all the ill informed tosh about ''pay as you play''.

I can only remember back to the early 80''s and I''d certainly say Chris is the best striker we''ve had in that time.  Kevin Reeves was good for 1 season,  Fashunu was good as was Flecky and Drinkell.  Iwan is a legend but lets face it was never in the same class as Sutton.  I don''t count Eadie as a striker.

Maybe there was someone better in the 70''s ?

I don''t think the prodigal son routine has ever worked, has it? Flecky was quality for us in his day but a shadow of his former self on his return. Mike Walker worked wonders in his first stint but did nowt on his return. And is there any concrete evidence anywhere that Sutton is actually willing to accept a pay-as-you-play contract? Do we not just have "I goto the distinct impression" and "my mate who met him says so"? If he''s got as much to offer as some of us are saying, surely he''ll have more preferable suitors offering more than ''pay-as-you-play''? Why hasn''t he agreed a ''pay-as-you-play'' with a much stronger-looking Birmingham squad for one more season? Why are so many people vehemently bashing Worthy and the Board based on unsubstantiated rumours?

Don''t get me wrong, I''d be interested to see what Sutton could do should a return materialise. But then, it''s not me who would have to pay his wages and I''ve never met the guy so I don''t know what his agenda is or what his demands are.

martin o neills return in 1982 sparked a promotion push for which we got promoted

it can happen !!!

im not saying it would with chris but have we got anything to lose is what we as supporters and the club & manager should be asking themselves

The interesting thing is that Worthy and the KTFs have the exact same attitude.

"who cares what the fans think"

ralph, you seem to have a big problem with the whole sutton situation, has he personally upset you in some way? i would challange you to name a striker from norwich who has a better all-round record than sutton, this includes goals, games, transfer fees and trophy won, if you can think of some then post them.

as for sutton turning his back on the england b team, he should never have been in that situation in the first place. everyone knows that at that time sutton and shearer were the most formidable strike force in the country and one of the best in europe. he and shearer should have been englands first team strike force.