Sign in to follow this  
Herb

Time is getting on.

Its high time we got serious about this. The season is but a few hours away now, we need to start backing the team 100%, no more so than on matchdays.Yes a lot of fans think a new manager would be the best bet, (including myself towards the end of last season) but thats not whats transpired.Despite being infuriated by Worthy at times, I do quite like the old bugger.My memories not so short I can''t remember the victory parade when I spent a brilliant evening drinking, singing and laughing with tens of thousands of other fans. Climbing to the top of the Castle mound full of lager just to get a better view - and me scared of heights too!Its the only time I can ever remember masses of people just driving round afterwards honking their car horns Italian-style.If things work out as I think they could we might have another parade next May.It depends on a lot of things. It depends on us sorting out our style of play to improve on last season''s, which at times was frankly depressing.It depends on the injury fairy being kind to us this season after being so cruel last season.It depends on some of the players who struggled last season coming good.It also depends on us.Despite Delia''s "12th man" rant, do not underestimate the power of a good atmosphere. Seriously, a vocal and hostile crowd can gain every player on your team 5% and lose every opposition player the same. We need to let the team know we''re behind them and anticipating, nay expecting blood and thunder.Lets make Carrow Road a wall of sound on Tuesday!And good luck to the hardy souls making the trip to Leeds. I know you''ll do us proud.On the ball, City!

Well said Herb.  I tried to start a rousing chorus of "On the Ball City" on another thread but no one was interested... last season it got more replies than there are lines of the song!

Leeds away was a great day last season, and I''m a bit upset about not being able to go again (the missus is working so she ain''t going either).

It''s time to forget all the gripes and grumbles, put the lack of signings and Andy Hughes'' clapping behind us and get behind the boys.  Even without Worthington, this could be our last shot at promotion for a while, so lets kick it off in style!

ON THE BALL CITY!

Sadly in amongst the raging torrents of verbal diorrhea about Grandpa Sutton, a thread suggesting (shock horror) getting behind the team we''ve actually got was always going to sink without trace.Says it all about this messageboard at the moment. A few empty vessels making an awful lot of noise about nothing.Meanwhile, several posters who used to be regular and entertaining contributors stay away because the usual suspects continue their "lets kill the season before its started" campaign.God I hate them! :)

Good post Herb.  I don''t always agree with everything you say but you''re a passionate fan and you''re spot on with most of this.

Lets give it our best shot.  If its all going horribly wrong by the Autumn.....well who knows?

Herb,

I didn''t renew my season ticket, I am happy with the decision but I desperately want City to make me sorry over the season.

Having said that I expect to live by my choices.

Set against that, people who have spent money to go doing so with the attitude of many who post on here frankly confounds me.

I think you will find Herb its posters like you people are sick of , a huge majority of  Norwich fans want "Grandpa Sutton " back just like they want Worthington out , you are very much in a tiny minority.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]Herb,

I didn''t renew my season ticket, I am happy with the decision but I desperately want City to make me sorry over the season.[/quote]Its probably not too late if you have a change of heart - I wonder if I got your seat? ;)This is my first season ticket despite following City for 25 years+ since until now work commitments or lack of funds have always got in the way. I just had to grab odd games here and there, usually midweek or cup games.

[quote user="Clown Out"]I think you will find Herb its posters like you people are sick of , a huge majority of  Norwich fans want "Grandpa Sutton " back just like they want Worthington out , you are very much in a tiny minority.[/quote]Am I bovvered?A majority means jack.A majority voted Blair in. Doesn''t suddenly mean they''re not stupid just because they''re a majority.

Don''t recall Blair getting 50% of the vote.
The City democracy involves two votes. Delia & WJ.
Unfortunately both of them have been found wanting and we''re gonna pay for it.

Excellent post. Hope you enjoy your season ticket Herb. I have not renewed this season, for many reasons but they do include the poor performance last year... I hope I am proved wrong!

I must admit to being a little aprehensive and not as ''up'' for this campaign as other past seasons but I guess that is a common feeling due to the current atmosphere surrounding the club.

However I watched the dvd of the Championchip winning season the other day and seeing the flowing football and the passionate support left me believing what we as a team are capable of when all pulling in the same direction. We must be united... give ALL players AND management full support right now and lets see how they respond. If we can get a good start and remain injury free then whose to say we cannot expect more scenes like those seen at City Hall just 2 years ago.

Lets start positive guys! Kick It Off

Why not put a naughty list on this forum of those you ''hate'' Herby........

I am really hoping for a win today - a draw would be most acceptable........to lose by more than 3 goals......well.......I sincerely hope not. As one would imagine the ''furore'' from the hated few/majority.

Keep postin'' - and please don''t put me on your ''naughty'' list........ ;~)

Kick it off!I can''t believe I''m spending the first game of the season, up to my waist in water, with 21 kids at my sons 5th birthday swimming party!Let''s give it everything - I love hoping for the best - on this opening day all Norwich fans are my mates (regardless of differences of opinion). I hope we can start off with an away win, but really hope we get Herb''s cacophony of support on Tuesday, whatever today''s result. It''s not a big Carrow Road love-in - that won''t upset the opposition - but an electric atmosphere from all fans pulling together. The win''s the thing we want, we can restart the disagreements on the boards after the game, if we have to!Mello - I think you''re too much fun to be on anyone''s naughty list (except Lady Whiplash - and you pay for that particular privelige!)

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Why not put a naughty list on this forum of those you ''hate'' Herby......

[/quote]I suppose I should have posted I hate the negativity.For me, football is all about optimism, often unfounded.Like today! We lost, but we aquitted ourselves pretty well (I listened to 5 live to make sure I didn''t get a biased report) and I heard enough to mean I''m looking forward to Tuesday night in a big way.Last season, the premiership season, they mean nothing now. Its all about this season.Never mind the danger!

An away result counts for very little unless it is followed up by a home win so in that respect Preston at home is a must win game irrespective of the Leeds result today.

Preston didn''t just beat they humiliated Norwich in January. They brought a flicker of a play off flame to an end and played with nonchelance. It was, for me, the lowest point of the season at Carrow Road.

Tuesday is, therefore, also a must win to show Norwich are a different proposition this season against what will be a competetive Preston unit.

Having lost the battle of the ''bookies favourites for the chop'' match Worthington now has to find a performance by his team against a side who humbled his own in recent memory. It is a must win irrespective of the three points.

I have always believed that quality of play counts in early matches although not getting results can, like last early season when Ashton and Co were missing easy goals, soon erode confidence and the style suffers.

Leeds were apparently poor today although they are three points richer than us and go into their next game with less pressure and therefore more room for expression. Results breeds confidence.

So the fact Norwich played most of todays game with balance, style and commitment and created more than enough chances encourages me. The same quality of play and a defeat on Tuesday will erode that confidence so a win is essential.

This league is all about wins. Draws are premier league results, you need wins in the Championship to do well. In particular you need home wins.

It will not help the players to have pressure put on them so I hope supporters will be patient whatever the result; unless, of course, you are driven by a ''Worthy Out'' obsession.

However the result today affected your mindset get behind your team on Tuesday because they will be anticipating what to expect from their home supporters and need to be lifted rather than knocked.

One of the most creditable things our players did last season was go get home results, including come-backs, in the midst of some dire atmospheres at Carrow Road late on in the season. That shows real character and team spirit.

Forget Leeds, Tuesday and Saturday are cup-finals and might go a long way to deciding what sort of season it will be.