Sign in to follow this  
Splendid Rush

I'm bored so.....

following on from the thread that someone posted regarding how many years you''ve been supporting Norwich, here''s another one. I''m sure it''s been done before, but it''s 03.54am and I''m bored. 

I''d be interested to know if people remember the team that lined up for City the first time they ever went, how old you were, what stand you sat/stood in and what the most memorable things about it were....?

Mine was Luton (h) 1986 0-0 I was 6yrs old and stood on a wooden box (cliche huh) in the river end terracing with my dad. My most memorable bit was hearing some bloke swearing behind me and saying to my dad ''that man in swearing''. ''Well son'' he said ''this is football, grown ups come here and sometimes they swear''. ''I understand that'' I said ''but they''re swearing at our players''. Ahh that 6yr old mind... It was Robert Rosario!

So, the team was.

Gunn,

Culverhouse, Bruce, Elliott, Spearing

Gordon, Williams, Crook, Putney

Drinkell, Rosario

Aldershot at home in 1984. 0-0 draw.

Woods

Haylock, Watson, Bruce, Downs

Devine, Mendham, Hartford, Donowa

Channon, Deehan

Sub: Van Wyk

My Dad had got us seats in one of the boxes, and the most I can remember is that they served Chicken and chips in a basket at half time and that the game was dull as hell.

My first game was at home to Derby in 88 or 89 I think.  We won 1-0 with a Bob Rosario toe poke.  I remember I was chuffed to see Peter Shilton before he retired, and disappointed that my childhood hero Robert Fleck didn''t get on the scoresheet.

The team would have been something like:

Gunn

Culberhouse   Linighan   Butterworth   Bowen

Gordon         Townsend   Crook         Phillips

Fleck         Rosario

At home vs Watford in the Rumbelows Cup on 26 September 1990 in the South Stand. The only reason I know that much is because I still have the ticket. No idea what the team or the score was though.

I do remember the ''sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeets, hot drinks, cold drinks'' man wheeling his cart around the ground during the game...

Well despite supporting Norwich since 1984 and living in Aylsham (dad didnt like football so never took me to matches!) it took me till 1994 to get round to watching a match.

Nov 24th? 1994 Leicester (h)

I sat in the lower barclay block E (i still have my ticket stub)

Score was 2-1 to Norwich. We went a goal down (think Mark Draper scored), Eadie hit the cross-bar before we equalised in the second half by a John Newsome header from a corner, and then Daryl Sutch cutting in from the right hit a great shot into the bottom left with minutes left on the clock. Never experienced a feeling like it watching Norwich again!

Team (and I may get one or two wrong here, memory fading :(

Gunn

Bowen/Newsome/Polston/Ullathorne

Eadie/Crook/Milligan/Adams

Newman/Sheron

Subs (Howie? Robins? Cureton?

if i have got the line-up wrong it would be great to hear what it actuallly was. I do remember Rob Newman playing up front ahead of Robins which was disappointing

My first game was quite possibly the 5-3 game with Liverpool, with the Justin Fashanu goal, which might have been in 1980.  It''s the first one I remember going to anyway.  My dad tells me I saw Martin Peters play, so it might have been earlier than that.

I went with my uncle, April 1984, we sat in the River end, back row of the top tier, far left as you look at it (far right if you''re in there).

We beat Watford 6-1, my recollection of the game is that Deehan scored 4, I think Downs might have got one, and Chris Woods played in goal. Without research or digging out the programme, couldn''t tell you any other players.

At home against Man City on the 20th October 1980.  We drew 2-2 but haven''t got a clue who the starting line up would have been.  I was only 4!  The old South Stand in the Family enclosure, when I would be for many seasons to come.

Probably the best earliest memory was in February 1984 when I was chosen to be a mascot against Tottenham in the FA Cup 3rd round replay.  A cold Wednesday night, and we won 2-1.  I can remember being greeted by Peter Mendham to show me around the changing rooms - I didn''t know him from adam, but still shoved by autograph book in front of him!  I also got b*llocked for not having clean football boots (classic gola''s with moulded studs!) so was told to clean them prior to running on to the pitch - bit upset as I was only 8.  Luckily enough Bobby Robson was there that night so was able to get his autograph, along with Hoddle.  Picture taken will John Deehan - my then favourite player.

Ah the memories.

Anyone else, been a mascot and remember the day?

I''ll do as much as I can actually remember

Away at Swindon, 93/94, final score 3-3. Arkells Stand

Howie

Newman Butterworth Polston Bowen

Adams Goss Crook

Sutton akinbiyi

Not sure how accurate this actually is, if anyone could remind I would be very grateful. Actually sat in the swindon stand and I remember this old man effing and blinding the whole way through before some young woman asked him to calm down and then he lost it with her. The ref was awful and there was a good brawl in the second half

[quote user="blahblahblah"]My first game was quite possibly the 5-3 game with Liverpool, with the Justin Fashanu goal, which might have been in 1980.  It''s the first one I remember going to anyway.  My dad tells me I saw Martin Peters play, so it might have been earlier than that.[/quote]

Probably not earlier then Blah, Peters played and I''m sure scored in that game.

Blah x3:

Norwich City 3 Liverpool 5
Division One, February 9, 1980

Norwich City: Keelan, Bond, Downs, Ryan, Brown, Jones, Mendham (McGuire), Reeves, Fashanu, Paddon, Peters.
Liverpool: Clemence, Neal, A Kennedy, Thompson, R Kennedy, Hansen, Dalglish, Case, Fairclough, McDermott, Lee. Sub Heighway.
Referee: M Scott (Nottingham)
Attendance: 25,418

Keelan''s last game for the club and the goalscorers were Peters, Reeves and Fashanu.

Liverpool at home in Feb 1981. Lost 1-0, although I couldn''t tell you the team. Come the end of the season we had been relegated and I was completely and utterly hooked! (By the game, not the relegation obviously!!)

1993 at the Dell

Southampton                 3    Norwich City                0
  Hall, Adams, Banger

Stood in the Milton Road End with the home fans, it was that terrible stand by the road so it was wedge shaped!!  No roof in those days either.

I think it was on a wednesday night and we were terrible!!  I was hooked though!!  Started at UEA that year so I could watch the canaries.

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]At home vs Watford in the Rumbelows Cup on 26 September 1990 in the South Stand. The only reason I know that much is because I still have the ticket. No idea what the team or the score was though.

I do remember the ''sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeets, hot drinks, cold drinks'' man wheeling his cart around the ground during the game...[/quote]

Hehe, That ''sweeeeeeeeeeeeets'' guy was a legend. I remember the john o''neil testemonial when lineker played in a city kit, I was so excited. Gunny and Fleck swapped positions (and shirts, haha) and fleck sat on the floor against the goalpost wearing a st. johns ambulance hat. He then nicked a mars bar from the sweet trolley and ate it as the goals went in.

There was also the guys who used to carry the ''golden goal time'' board around after every goal. There was a match vs Southampton (it may have been when Rosario got goal of the season) which finished 4-5 I think and they looked absolutely knackered by the end of it! Everyone was giving them stick for walking slowly as they blocked your view if you were at the front.

Oh, and I made a mistake in my original post. It was Brown at right back not Culverhouse. Mendham was sub.

Too long ago and I was very young but I do recall Foggo was playing along with Keelan.

I remember seeing Keelan chin a centre forward at one early game and laid him out because he was obstructing his kick.

Nil-nil home draw with Arsenal in the late eighties (Pete, help me out here, what year was that?!)

Stood in the Barclay, and it blew my mind.

Remember Ruel Fox coming an and was like lightening down the wing. The crowd were singing "ROOO-ELLLL, ROOOO-ELLLL".

Best 0-0 I''ve ever seen!

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]At home vs Watford in the Rumbelows Cup on 26 September 1990 in the South Stand. The only reason I know that much is because I still have the ticket. No idea what the team or the score was though.

I do remember the ''sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeets, hot drinks, cold drinks'' man wheeling his cart around the ground during the game...[/quote]

I remember Mr Sweets from Reserve games.. poor old timer took some flack then too... shame as he was providing a good service...

Can u remmber those old chaps who used to walk round with ascore board with the golden goal times on them.. i always found it hilarious as by the time they had walked round the ground another goal had gone in and they had to do it all over again.. their faces were a picture!

First game Rumbelows cup 4th Round, Norwich City vs West ham united, December 16th 1991...

Norwich won 2-1 with 2 goals from Flecky (one a volley from about 25 yards into the top corner) and West ham levelled through Mike Small

dare i say it i was cheering for the appy ammers that night as they were the first team i was aware of! soon converted in my next game just 2 weeks later vs Villa though.

jas :)