Sign in to follow this  
Cantley

The Wayne Rooney affair

Neil Doncaster is all over tonight''s Evening News complaining about the FA''s lack of action over Everton''s accusation of racism. The crux of his argument seems to be that it''s okay to call someone a fat b*****d. It ill becomes someone in his position to condone abusive chanting of any sort, and to me it''s no more acceptable to call someone a fat b*****d than it is to call them a black b*****d.
We should be careful about adopting too much of a ''holier-than-thou'' attitude. We all know there is racism in Norwich and so inevitably there are racists amongst City fans. We''re not so very different from anywhere else in this respect, and so trying to pretend that we are means we''re walking on thin ice.

Whilst I fear that somewhere amongst our fan base, we may be unfortunate enough to find people like this, and I agree with you that calling someone a fat ******* is hardly commendable, I think the problem here lies in the fact that Everton made a very serious accusation against us of racial chanting, which turned out to be false, then they refused to apologise and the FA have, rather pathetically, done nothing to help us. All we''re doing is trying to defend ourselves in the face of false accusations. What''s wrong with that?

if ''you fat b*****d'' was to be said in every day life, I would agree that it is equally unacceptable as calling someone a black b*****d. however, when it comes to football chants, I wouldn''t consider it offensive and i doubt wayne rooney would either (even though he was on the thick end of it!)

As BC says while the "fat" chant wouldn''t be acceptable in the street it is like it or not, part of the experience of attending a modern football match. Racist chanting has no place in society whatsoever. The "fat" chant always seems to be meant in a humourous way, it was directed at Rooney because of his portly appearance and to try to upset his game.

The scandal here is not our chant but that the FA have clearly not acted consistently as their dealing with the Ferguson/Boa Morte allegations prove. As ND says the FA should have published in the national press a statement absolviong the good name of Norwich supporters. Everton should also make a statement in apology. As Everton are in the Premiership and we are in Div 1 (for around 12 hours more!!!) the Premiership side gets away scott free without remit.