Sign in to follow this  
Rustyboy

Are no signings such a bad thing?

To put the record straight I am a Worthy Outer but would like to make the following comments regarding the lack of signings:

In the past couple of seasons Worthy has let around six players go per season and in my opinion has not replaced them with players of the same quality but has spent a fair bit on the replacements.

Some of us are doubting the board, some comments made to them at the end of last season was the lack of youngsters in the side so they get in an England youth team coach to promote our youngsters? Have they been listening and done something about it?

I personally would prefer to see some of our youth in the side compared to an average highly paid signing who will be criticised straight away if he does n’t perform to an acceptable standard on the pitch (I refer to most of the signings last season)

I am beginning to think the board has done something behind the scenes to try and improve things and have put restraints on Worthy, if the youth policy goes wrong there would still be something in the kitty to spend to try and get us out of trouble. I also think players joining the club at the start of the season are not given enough time to settle into the side (if picked)

Am I changing into a KTF?

No i don''t think you are changing into a KTFer, I just think as I do, you see the board are trying to do a good job (although they are gooing about it in a ham fisted manner).  The restraints you talk about seem indicative of the very average manager we have, but our board are so afraid of changing manager in case they appoint an idiot to replace him.  I must admit to having never known a manager so disliked by so many of a clubs fans remain in charge.

I have liked what I have seen as far as giving the youngsters contracts and the like - whether they are good enough is another thing altogether.  I do not beleive for one minute that worthy would have given them contracts normally - his history proves this.  I would rather have a manager whom does this sort of thing as a matter of coures, rather than one whom has to be persuaded by the board to do it to placate fans.  I would rather a manager whom knows whom is best to get rid of and be able to replace them than one whom gets rid of players far too easily and replaces them with dross - of which a large amount is still in the squad.

To add a bit of caution, the season hasn''t started yet, and it wouldn''t surprise me if Worthy falls back to type (as he probably wants to).... Weird tactics, weird substitutions, players out of position rather than playing youth, innumerable poor loans, Hard work over quality.... 

Worst of all we have a smaller squad than last year by some margin....   so its gonna be expensive short term loan deals again.....

We will just have to wait and see I guess.

If they want Worthy to succees he MUST have full backing. There is no way they will hold cash back - much as we would like them to.

If you think this squad is good enough for a promotion push you must be living in cloud cuckoo land - and given that Worthington refused to play the kids bar some minor roles even at the end of last season he will not play them this year either. He only sees the kids when he plays cup matches (Neil Doncaster told me that Worthy sees cup matches as a waste of time and not important to the sucess of the club).

We need a QUALITY target man and a QUALITY winger - not a journeyman slugger like the fat incredibly slow Steve Howard!!!!

I would also say that whilst I love Earnie if we do actually have no money left then it was stupid to spend 3.5 million on one player when most other clubs would have overhauled half of the squad for that (Watford, Reading, Sheff Utd for example).

I would also like to ask where the 11.25 million transfer / parachute money has gone as well as how the board have increased our debt by 12 million - but thats another story....

[quote user="Rustyboy"]

To put the record straight I am a Worthy Outer but would like to make the following comments regarding the lack of signings:

In the past couple of seasons Worthy has let around six players go per season and in my opinion has not replaced them with players of the same quality but has spent a fair bit on the replacements.

Some of us are doubting the board, some comments made to them at the end of last season was the lack of youngsters in the side so they get in an England youth team coach to promote our youngsters? Have they been listening and done something about it?

I personally would prefer to see some of our youth in the side compared to an average highly paid signing who will be criticised straight away if he does n’t perform to an acceptable standard on the pitch (I refer to most of the signings last season)

I am beginning to think the board has done something behind the scenes to try and improve things and have put restraints on Worthy, if the youth policy goes wrong there would still be something in the kitty to spend to try and get us out of trouble. I also think players joining the club at the start of the season are not given enough time to settle into the side (if picked)

Am I changing into a KTF?

[/quote]

I think you have it about right !    there`s no point in   in replicating  what happened last year  , where  quite a few of the signings  and loans   didn`t work out [ and a few of them didn`t work .. period ! ]    and the vultures [ agents ]    cost the club a packet   .....   with Earnie  being the only  good signing IMO  ,         not only that  , we just didn`t have a team   !   and this is why Nigel  got plenty of deserved stick .

I also agree with you that   the  clubs policy  appears to have shifted  , the bringing in of a new coach ,  Nigel  trying out academy  players ,  trying out new formations ,  more intense training sessions  etc ....     and , so far ,  we`ve won  all our friendlies  !   a win ... is a win  , even if the competion is  , theoretically ,  inferior  , speaking of which  ...  where do most people get this idea that  conference teams   are easy meat for  the , so called , pro teams ?    frankly  , I would have backed   a conference team  , that played as a team  , played with  their  all , to wallop the team we had last season ! 

So far ,  I`m upbeat  about   our prospects  ,   especially if Hucks  is NOT   stuck on the left wing   !!    let the guy  roam  up front   [<:o)]

Some good points Paul.

I am not overly concerned at the lack of signings, though it would have been nice to have any new players join the tour of Scotland.  The club have admitted that the bid for Howard was rejected so things have clearly been going on behind the scenes.  I agree with the club''s mentality at the moment on signings - they are clearly looking for first team players and not squad fillers. 

I would expect to see one or two season long loans come in once the Prem sides have decided who they are prepared to let go.My only concern at the moment is that we may be caught short by the time the window shuts and end up with more "emergency loans".  I don''t mind the season long loans but the short-term ones can cause as many problems as they solve. 

No signings sends out a disturbing message. The players themselves, let alone the fans must find it odd that the club haven''t bought anyone. Doesn''t exactly fill the players with confidence that we''re a club ''on the move''.

If the board (i.e Delia) doesn''t trust Worthington with the cash then they should get rid of him! But she won''t... Delia is probably holding back some funds after last seasons debacle, so giving him (very) limited resources to work with - but Worthless won''t walk because of the cash he would forfeit - he''s not that daft.

All in all not a great state of affairs.

My thoughts were that we got a lot of new signings like Hughes, Etuhu, Robinson, and Colin, that it didn''t quite work for.

But as we all know players don''t always automatically start at a new club in top gear, Iwan Roberts is the classic example. Maybe these players will come good this season as they will have had time to settle in and boost fitness. Maybe i''m clutching at straws. Maybe it''s better to be an eternal pessimist. Maybe I can''t spell!!!!

Give me a break. I''m looking for a bright side!!!

I don''t think they are holding back cash, I think that we''re trying to buy our rivals'' key players, and they don''t come cheap.  We haven''t got a lot of cash to splash, so it may prove that Premiership loan signings make better value for money than buying top championship players.

I agree with you there Sheded. Although i feel that Earnshaw need''s a target man - otherwise he just aint going to top the scoring charts this season.

And we also need a Right-winger. It''s good to leave youth through, and i understand that''s what he got stick for not doing last season, and is now trying to improve by letting them through, but do we really want young kids with not alot of first team professional football experience in our first team? The only one i would say may be ready is Spillane. But that doesn''t solve the right-wing position, neither the target man.

However, i do feel McKenzie will work well with Earny.

Any other thoughts, on this?? :)

[quote user="Charlie Says"]

Neil Doncaster told me that Worthy sees cup matches as a waste of time and not important to the sucess of the club.

[/quote]

To be honest he needs sacking for that alone.........  For crying out loud we have barely won a cup match since he turned up here 7 years ago.

When I asked does worthy care about cup matches I was laughed at by KTFers with some 44.4% thinking he did give a monkees ans 18.5% thinking he had just been ''unlucky''. (as if his diabolical record in them didnt give away some kind of hint.....)

http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/647856/ShowPost.aspx

Can somebody explain something to me - why do City need a target man?

There''s an implication in this that the expected ball to the front man

is in the air with a smaller striker acting to feed off the knock

downs/ons. Why do City have to play that way?

What''s wrong with the ball to strikers on the deck or balls through the

defense for strikers to run on to (Earnshaw is a supposed to be quick).

Or, God forbid, balls crossed by the wide players from a position

beyond the opposition full-back. How many times does Worthy ask his

wide men to go past the full back and get to the byline before crossing

the ball in?

How many strikers do City have on the books? Thorne, Earnshaw,

McKenzie, Jarvis, Henderson, Huckerby, McVeigh? Why do they need

another one?

Trying to buy our rivals top stars , hold on while i go get my sides stiched up , that would be 30 year old Steve Howard right ? or ive been everywhere Hulse . As for not having much money , well after just recieving £12 million in parachute money somebody ought to be hung if we havent .

Good post rustyboy. I agree with you that it makes sense to get hunter in as hardly any of the youth players are played but I still think the youth we have would not solve are main problems. The right wing is a major issue and a player is desperately needed. Do we have any youth players that cover that area well? Hendo has not showed us that he is great there but then he is a striker so why play him there anyway??? I think that eventually there will be signings but they may come in January which I feel is a bit late to start building a better squad. But yes I agree that the board are trying to achieve something with Hunter and the youth squad. [:D]

To me that dosn''t make much sense, if the board have put restraints on Worthy then thats says they really don''t trust this man in charge and if they really didn''t trust him in charge then why has the board kept him? If anything I think its worthy whos being more restrained, he may realise that he has to make the correct desisions from now on or he could be sacked. Personally if we don''t sign anyone then we''re going to have a difficult season, injurys will happen and we won''t have sufficient cover to deal with it, but thats only a real worry if the current players actually play well which is something I have sever doubts about after last season. As for the youth they are far too inexperienced and will be made scapegoats if we don''t perform, I can hear the excuse now "Well we fielded a very young side....". Fair enough they do deserve a chance but a few injuries in the squad and we will have to start fielding them as first team players, which IMO they are not ready for.

[quote user="We need a Manager"]

or ive been everywhere Hulse .

[/quote]

Sorry, but I wasn''t aware that Crewe, West Brom and Leeds was "everywhere"... My mistake.

On the main point, though, if the board do think that Worthy isn''t good enough to make signings and are with holding funds, this is a dangerous tactic.

It''s a cliche, but it''s "back him or sack him" time... 

[quote user="Death of Canaries"]

[quote user="We need a Manager"]

or ive been everywhere Hulse .

[/quote]

Sorry, but I wasn''t aware that Crewe, West Brom and Leeds was "everywhere"... My mistake.

On the main point, though, if the board do think that Worthy isn''t good enough to make signings and are with holding funds, this is a dangerous tactic.

It''s a cliche, but it''s "back him or sack him" time... 

[/quote] I personally think the only thing the board will judge on the dissmissal of the manager is bad results.

[quote user="We need a Manager"]Trying to buy our rivals top stars , hold on while i go get my sides stiched up , that would be 30 year old Steve Howard right ? [/quote]

Last seasons'' top scorer for Luton, yes.

[quote user="Mike Newell"]We''ll see what happens but we aren''t in the business of giving our best players away.[/quote]

Nuff said ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote user="We need a Manager"]Trying to buy our rivals top stars , hold on while i go get my sides stiched up , that would be 30 year old Steve Howard right ? [/quote]

[quote user="Mike Newell"]We''ll see what happens but we aren''t in the business of giving our best players away.[/quote]

Nuff said ?

[/quote]

I don''t think you have quite got the hang of this yet blah.  There are 2 simple rules

Rule 1: Any player wanted or signed by Worthington is a useless, rubbish clogger.
Rule 2: Any player not wanted or not signed by Worthington is brilliant and a missed oppertunity.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Gosh, darn.

Silly me !

[/quote]

Try and keep up, you will never be one of the "cool" kids at this rate.  I have another couple to help for next season.

Rule 4.1.1:  Any player(s) currently not in the first 11 are always the solution to any problem in the side.
Rule 4.1.2:  If player(s) do not have desired effect on results see rule 4.1.1

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

Nuff said ?

[/quote]

I don''t think you have quite got the hang of this yet blah.  There are 2 simple rules

Rule 1: Any player wanted or signed by Worthington is a useless, rubbish clogger.
Rule 2: Any player not wanted or not signed by Worthington is brilliant and a missed oppertunity.

[/quote] Their more Facts rather than rules. :P