Sign in to follow this  
joe Houghton

i cant believe some people

i cant believe that so many people still think we are short of players to play upfront for next season. Everyone is suggesting that we buy another striker!we have the best attacking team in the 1st division at the moment but still peeps want a new target man.What has svenson done to deserve this.He is scoring goals from all angles and methods,remember his goal against wigan, not bad eh!He might not contribute loads during play but i would rather have someone who scores upfront than somone who loks good but offers little final product, like crouch!Crouch looks good during play but to be honest he didnt actually score very many!With huxs Mcken and svenson we look deadly going forward and i have no doubt that they will continue to do so in the prem.We should strengthen where we need it not where everything is goin well!

I agree Joe that Sven is doing very well at the moment. His all round game is superb and if he continues it he''ll play for us in the Prem for sure. However, the Premiership is a lot different to the 1st Division. In my opinion we''ll need more than one target man next year. If Roberts won''t be able to do it for us, which he probably won''t, I think we need another. Crouch would be great.

the key thing for us next year (as it has this year) is not conceeding goals - just look at Ipswich/Wolves. Our current defensive structure will need to be strengthened first IMHO - once we get that right we can look at other areas if they are not working. Worthington is an ex-defender - dont be surprised to see him concentrate his efforts there.

Your probably correct Mister Sparkle ................. not conceding goals has a very positive effect on a teams morale .... we already have an effective strike force , lets see how they do in the prem before making any changes ! ......

The defence, despite a superb effort this season, would be our weakest link next season and as I said in an earlier post I would like to see three new faces coming in during the close season.

However going into a new season with just three strikers in the squad just wont do - we do need an additional striker to give us options and to cover for injuries, suspensions and loss of form - which is where crouch comes in, and no Iwan is not a viable fourth choice with Jarvis as a fifth choice supporting role. So I do think ''some people'' have a very valid point. Personally I do not think 4-3-3 will work for us in the premier but a ball playing midfielder feeding the superb movement froom HUx and McKenzie will cause all sorts of problems for most lower premier teams.

The next priority after defence is central midfield where we need more pace and creativity.

OTBC

The focus should be on a central defender. Whilst I beleive Fleming, one of the unsung heroes this season, would be alright, the thought of Malky trying to contain the likes of Henry is enough to give anyone sleepless nights.

Sorry Malky, but I honestly think your time is up in the Premiership.

I think we should give Malky a chance as he seems to have the guile to deal with the quickest and most skillful in Div 1. Wolves supporters I have spoken to say that despite leaking loads of goals as a team, Paul Butler has been outstanding this year and many supporter''s player of the year, and I''d put Malky well ahead of him.

But that said, he will only have to try and contain the likes of Henry on a few occasions - I think he will be fine against most of the rest of the Premiership''s strikers. Iwan''s ''defending'' aside, Malky and Flem contained Ferguson & Rooney pretty well at Goodison in January......