Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Steve Howard Signing!!

Morning All.

Sorry to break everyone''s bubble but Steve Howard has signed for Derby County this morning for a fee of £1,000,000. I personally would have liked to have seen him as an NCFC player. However that''s a lot of money to pay for a 30 year old striker who''s never played at the top level.

IMO this would be good news.  OK he is 30 - a threshold that seemingly upsets some - but that makes no difference to me, he''s scored at all levels he''s played at and could be an excellent foil for Earnie.....though I would have preferred a RM to sign first!!!!

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

Just heard on skysports news that its reported we bid for Steve Howard again today and isn''t playing in the Luton friendly against Fulham, and is on his way to discuss terms.

It has been said that at the Luton ground, the news is out that we have agreed a fee:

http://members2.boardhost.com/www.lutonfc.com/msg/1153512549.html

[/quote]

I don''t want to rain on your parade Paul, but Peter Taylor, now at Palace, is also after Howard, guess who''ll sign him?.

Sounds promosing, Lets wait and see what happens. I am not getting my hopes up too soon.

Sky Sports are reporting that Howard has signed for Derby for £1m

Makes Chris Lakey''s story today look a bit hollow....

Nothing on the Derby website or BBC sport website this morning!!

He would have been a good signing for us at the right price - 1 million quid being a bit steep. 

A great signing by Billy Davies for Derby however.  They played very well at Carrow Road last season but looked totally toothless up front.  He has immediatly spotted an area requiring strengening, found a decent target, and got his man.

Just so we all know now only two clubs have failed to strengthen, ourselves and the broke idiots down the road.

At the end of the day either we matched the bid by derby and the 

player didnt fancy coming to play for worthington or more likely the

board dare not risk a million pounds concidering our managers recent

track record with signings .OTBC

£1 million for Steve Howard- this is the best transfer deal of the summer, well done Mike Newell you must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Don''t get me wrong, Howard would have been a good signing for us but not at that price.  £1m for a 30 year old with only one season''s experience at this level and only a year left on his contract.  Too much in my opinion.

Let''s be honest if we had paid that much for him, most of us would be going nuts right now.

[quote user="andy laz"]At the end of the day either we matched the bid by derby and the  player didnt fancy coming to play for worthington or more likely the board dare not risk a million pounds concidering our managers recent track record with signings .OTBC
[/quote]

Not really too bothered what the reason for him not signing is - I thought the guy would be a reasonable purchase, but no way at £1m  - imo he is worth £500k-600k max,: if such inflated prices are what the club has come up against it is hardly surprising we''ve not been doing too much business...though we should still be doing at least some!!

Should we have bid 1.2 million for Howard???

Does anyone remember a few seasons ago when we missed out on David Collany (sp), Ian Moore, Gareth Taylor, Neil Shipperly in the close season? What happened next???? We signed Hux and Crouch on loan. The rest is NCFC history.....

Its better to get the right player at the right price. We will spend the cash for the right player, as the signing of Earnie proved.

1 Million what a joke thank god we lost that battle i would have hated to see 1 million washed down the plug hole for what is IMO an avarage striker who looked avarage to to poor at Carrow road last season and also looked over weight thanks Derby you did us a favour.