Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Why are we wasting so much time trying to sign a striker?

I do agree that a target man would probably add something to our team, but i have never considered this a priority. The weakest parts of our team are centre midfield and wide right. We have no creative winger and no right winger, yet we have 8 or so strikers.

I think if he wanted a target man, he should have looked to it after we have signed for other positions, or made a quick signing straight after the season finished when most players were available. It is ridiculous how he spends so much time chasing after a striker, when we dont need one half as much as we need a right winger.

[quote user="Northern Canary"]

I do agree that a target man would probably add something to our team, but i have never considered this a priority. The weakest parts of our team are centre midfield and wide right. We have no creative winger and no right winger, yet we have 8 or so strikers.

I think if he wanted a target man, he should have looked to it after we have signed for other positions, or made a quick signing straight after the season finished when most players were available. It is ridiculous how he spends so much time chasing after a striker, when we dont need one half as much as we need a right winger.

[/quote]

I couldn''t agree more Northern, this whole thing seems ever more bizarre to me. There is no doubt whatsoever that at the end of last season it was clear that we needed at least one and more realistically two midfielders. So I would have expected the club to move very quickly, the list of targets should have been in place and it would have been a matter of making enquiries, starting at the top of the list and moving down. I would have thought it reasonable to have made a list of at least seven or eight players to target and if we have done this and not managed to sign any of them I think it shows that we have become out of touch with valuations and/or players wage demands. I find it hard to believe that could be true so the only explanation I can think of is that the board have decided not to invest any of the club''s money in NW''s targets. I simply find it impossible to believe that we are incapable of finding and signing a decent right sided midfielder, it was only a year or so ago that great store was put in the fact that once we got a player to Carrow Rd for the "tour" we almost always signed them, we now seem to find it impossible to get anybody to even come and have a look around.

Mark .Y.

It does seem that a big striker is the number 1 priority, which worries me.  Worthington last week said that right midfield is a spot that he would "like to fill".  To me, right midfield is a spot that we "need to fill".  All the emphasis seems to be on the signing of a striker and not in the area that most seem to think is priority. 

Ah c''mon guys, do we really think that if we are chasing after one type of player we are not doing anything else?

Look at it this way, why have a winger?

Surely it''s to cross the ball into the box - and who is on the end of it? Earnie? WLY? Hucks? McKenzie? Henderson? All of them are under 6ft. I know a good ball in doesnt have to be a high one, but even so i do not want Peter Thorne in my teams starting 11, even if he is ''firing on all cylinders.''

I do concede that it is a little chicken and egg, but if we are to pass the ball to feet in the final third, then we would have to replace half the squad for people able to do that type of football.

What is blatantly clear is that our squad is nothing better than a mid table team, but we still want to play neat passing football. We do not have the personnel for that - even Hucks isnt a good passer.

We also have to look at how many aerial goals were scored last season - every team in the play offs played with a good headerer of the ball, just look who we conceded goals to. It''s part and parcel of life in this division I''m afraid.